How long will Texas be a member of the Big 12?

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
How long will this perfect marriage last? I think once their tv network takes off, they are gone, since there is no buy-out.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Agreed. Just long enough to get their tv network off the ground. About the same time, the next tv negotiations will be occuring, and texas will demand a large share of that pie, or they'll walk.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think at this point, if Texas leaves, they're going independent. They've made it abundantly clear that they won't be part of a conference they can control.

The only reason I see them sticking around, is that the Longhorn Network probably won't be as profitable nationwide. They'll make more $ getting national coverage by being in a conference to get the ESPN and Fox contracts.

That's why the Big 12 exists: enough TV viewers to get a good contract with those Networks, allowing them to create their network.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Agreed. Just long enough to get their tv network off the ground. About the same time, the next tv negotiations will be occuring, and texas will demand a large share of that pie, or they'll walk.

Where the crap could they go? Once they have their network up and printing money, they won't want to give it up. And the Big 10, Pac 10, or SEC won't let them keep it. I guess they could try to go indepndent, but I don't think they could make more that way then they currently do giving the business to the Big 12. I think now UT will be happy to stay and work us all over until we all finally wise up and follow CU and NU out the door.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
How long will this perfect marriage last? I think once their tv network takes off, they are gone, since there is no buy-out.
This perfect union will dissolve long before we ever see a dime of the fictitious increase in TV revenues. We are still royally screwed, it has just been postponed for 3-4 years.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I am interested in the Longhorn Networks affect on any potential Big12 Network.

I have a feeling that in a few years, the Big12 wont be able to compete monetarily without their own network.

We will probably have to allow consessions for the more powerful teams in conference and let Texas have their own spin off channel dedicated more the Texas like the Big12Network-Texas. Then Texas can keep making more money than everyone else.

I just don't want to delay a Big12 network too long and have all of the other major conferences beat us to the punch. The last one to the party usually gets the crappiest selection of drinks and snacks.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This perfect union will dissolve long before we ever see a dime of the fictitious increase in TV revenues. We are still royally screwed, it has just been postponed for 3-4 years.

I would agree 3-4 yrs sounds about right

Where do you guys think Texas will go?

They can't push everyone around in the PAC10, SEC, or Big10.

They have a vested interest in keeping the Big12 alive.

I forsee that we will probably have another scare in 3-4 years, but we will just end up giving in more to Texas to survive.

If there are any REAL/OFFICIAL offers to go to a stable BCS conference, we can look into it. Right now, the Big12 is our best option.

Texas will hold the rest of the conference for ransom and get what they want.

Even if you just consider this a stay of execution, we are still alive and that counts for something.