how much do coaches make

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Would it be worth it for her to go to a different school like football and basketball coaches do? Or is she an ames girl and husband working in the area? Just curious

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Would it be worth it for her to go to a different school like football and basketball coaches do? Or is she an ames girl and husband working in the area? Just curious

I assume you are talking about CJL? In 2010 she made $138,470.

She's a Nebraska Alum and was born in Omaha. We need to support her and the girls because if/when the Nebraska job opens is will be appealing.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Since her husband is also a coach for the team, I am guessing a change of venue wouldn't be that hard.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
She has said that Ames is kind of halfway between her family in Nebraska and her Joe's family in Wisconsin. I'm sure both Wisky and Nebbie would love to have her when they are in need of a coach, as would a number of other programs.

I still like what she said in that presser about being close to getting to the Final Four with what they are building here. It would certainly be easier to do at some of those other schools with unlimited budgets, but in a lot of ways she would just be maintaining what they have already achieved. At ISU it has her signature all over it. it is hers (and Joe's) and no one else's. Our university and athletic department just has to help her get there. She can get this program to the point where the best in the state only go elsewhere when they don't fit into ISU's plans, and the best around the country are also seriously considering ISU. We've had that in wrestling in the past, but not really in any other sport.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Actually he was talking about women's soccer coach Wendy Dillinger, but nice try.

Reactions: chadm

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If he retired, there's no way the new coach gets that much. However, I could see them offering someone like CJL 225k-250k, and I don't know how we match that.
I could see us reach the 200k range if we keep the momentum going and build a consistent big winner.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
If he retired, there's no way the new coach gets that much. However, I could see them offering someone like CJL 225k-250k, and I don't know how we match that.

Allowing the formation of a VB booster club, and finally getting radio play-by-play broadcasts of home and away games would mean a lot more to CJL, IMO.
She wants both.

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Cook might make $350k, but he has a couple of national championships to his name, a lot of deep NCAA tourney runs and tons of conference championships. And he has a career coaching record that is ridiculous at something like 361-34.

ISU should offer Johnson more, but they don't have to get to Nebraska level money. And should the Huskers need a new coach, they won't offer that kind of money to someone new either.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I am still depressed about losing last night and now this thread is depressing me even more. But for an astonishing number of errors, we would be Final Four bound. Now I have to worry if we can keep our coach? I kind of thought she was a lock here with what she is building but if other schools can double her salary I could see us go the way of gymnastics.

:sad:

We need to get more people out to see these teams. I went to my first match a few years back when ISU was playing in town and this is an awesome spectator sport but I couldn't get any of my sports guys to go with me last night. They are losing out and so is the team.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Allowing the formation of a VB booster club, and finally getting radio play-by-play broadcasts of home and away games would mean a lot more to CJL, IMO.
She wants both.

If they would do radio and do some kind of paid subscription to stream online, I would take that in a hearbeat. I would love to listen to the games, a lot of smaller programs (UNI for one) already do radio for their VB teams.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
If they would do radio and do some kind of paid subscription to stream online, I would take that in a hearbeat. I would love to listen to the games, a lot of smaller programs (UNI for one) already do radio for their VB teams.

For home matches they already have clonezone. I have watched about 10 matches this year.

fccy

Dec 31, 2008
Forest City
One of the things not to forget is that CJL and Joe, when they came here, were both paid coaches.

I can't remember the time (IIRC, around the birth of their first child), but CJL's salary was bumped up some with a new contract, and Joe went to a volunteer coaching position. I have no evidence to support this thought, but I seem to remember thinking that it meant they gave up some combined income at the time.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
She wants both.

Heck, Baylor even has radio play-by-play of each VB game. I listened to a few of them streamed over the internet this year because my daughter's friend is their setter.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
One of the things not to forget is that CJL and Joe, when they came here, were both paid coaches.

I can't remember the time (IIRC, around the birth of their first child), but CJL's salary was bumped up some with a new contract, and Joe went to a volunteer coaching position. I have no evidence to support this thought, but I seem to remember thinking that it meant they gave up some combined income at the time.

Maybe it helped on taxes too. Don't know if it would in there case, but sometimes the head of the household filing can come out ahead.