Howdy

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
I am going to be a ISU student starting fall 2009. I hope to study architecture. I have lived in Austin my whole life, so naturally, I am a Longhorn fan. I figure I should start to assimilate into the cyclone culture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wesley

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I am going to be a ISU student starting fall 2009. I hope to study architecture. I have lived in Austin my whole, so naturally, I am a Longhorn's fan. I figure I should start to assimilate into the cyclone culture.

longhorn fan:skeptical::skeptical:
but yes welcome aboard the cyclone tradition is a great one!! you will be a clone in no time!!!

Chipper

Dec 8, 2008
Assimilation starts now. No more howdy.:wink:

I used to live in Bastrop and Smithville. Great area. Wouldn't mind going back someday. Bring a coat to Ames with you.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
make that two coats, it gets pretty cold up here. Welcome aboard, and you will love Ames

Ditto. Also, realize that you'll start feeling the cold long before we Iowa natives -- probably about the end of August. The cold will last until the first week in May.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I am going to be a ISU student starting fall 2009. I hope to study architecture. I have lived in Austin my whole life, so naturally, I am a Longhorn fan. I figure I should start to assimilate into the cyclone culture.

If you chew and drink cheap beer, no one will notice.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
remote car starters come in handy during an iowa winter :smile:
Shhhh don't tell him about winter or he'll never go to ISU:no:

As for cold it's still cold up there for us Texans! 70 in the day is nice, but those 50s at night are gonna suck.... I'll be back for a few days and not looking forward to the night temps. Just like my mid90s and lows in the 70s :notworthy:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
texas_longhorns.gif

Hook em!

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

That's funny. I lived in Ames my whole life and moved to Austin two years ago after graduating from ISU.

Ames has its charms, and it is a nice place to live, but taken as a whole, I think you'll find that Austin >>> Ames.

Also, it gets super damn cold in the winter. The worst of Austin's "winter" = Ames' October and March.

bigredqb7

Apr 11, 2006
Milwaukee

architecture, good luck. my roommate is in architecture and spends more time working on projects than sleeping. i barely saw him this semester and hes pulled many all nighters. have fun

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I hate to be this guy but you need to stay a longhorn fan but still root like hell for the Cyclones and make us your backup option. I sometimes wish I could have grown up a Sooner or Longhorn just so I could experience a ton of winning. You get to have all the joy of being a longhorn fan and having all the fun being a Clone fan.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Yeah, my last visit to Iowa St. was for the "visit iowa st" the university put on for a Saturday in April. It was 70-80 degrees in Austin and when we landed in Des Moines it was 30 degrees and it just happened to snow the next day when we were touring the campus. Ha.

And about architecture; I'm aware of the time that's devoted to the degree. The thing I worry about is getting into the program my sophomore year.

I plan on getting season tickets to both football and basketball if at all possible. I'd very much like to be there for the games against Iowa(of which my mom is a graduate :() and Oklahoma St.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I plan on getting season tickets to both football and basketball if at all possible. I'd very much like to be there for the games against Iowa(of which my mom is a graduate :() and Oklahoma St.

Any way you can trade moms? :wink:

By the way, that 30 you're talking about...that's hot for us in January and February....-30 is approached more often than 30 is. :biglaugh:

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Yeah, my last visit to Iowa St. was for the "visit iowa st" the university put on for a Saturday in April. It was 70-80 degrees in Austin and when we landed in Des Moines it was 30 degrees and it just happened to snow the next day when we were touring the campus. Ha.

And about architecture; I'm aware of the time that's devoted to the degree. The thing I worry about is getting into the program my sophomore year.

If you have your student id # you can register for season bball tickets, student alumni association, and Cyclone ALlley.

Cyclone Athletics Tickets - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports -get season bball/ football/ all sports pass, its a great deal because our Womens Bball/ Wrestling and Vball are very good and fun to watch

https://www.isualum.org//en/forms/i...24c201c8b-0C1EC3AA-9F4E-7F3C-0F6B6E5B133AB647 -Must sign up for Cyclone Alley to get the 'good seats' in Hilton Coliseum for basketball

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
Welcome to the ISU family - but don't let anyone scare you about the architecture school. One of the best public arch programs around. UT has a pretty great one too - what made you choose between the two? You will put in a lot of time at studio - it's just how it is. Always be producing - sometimes I felt the profs were just putting a war of attrition upon us, to see who washes out (250 in "pre" arch my first year, only ~55 when I graduated. But the 5 yrs in program goes by fast... and I loved it, and now live in Dallas doing architecture (good time to be an arch student, terrible time to be an actual architect by the way!!!).
The weather will shock you, true, but everything else is pretty nice.

CB21

Mar 13, 2009
Sioux Falls
Hey man welcome to cyclone fanatic. Be a cyclone fan while your here. It will be a lot of fun.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Welcome to the ISU family - but don't let anyone scare you about the architecture school. One of the best public arch programs around. UT has a pretty great one too - what made you choose between the two? You will put in a lot of time at studio - it's just how it is. Always be producing - sometimes I felt the profs were just putting a war of attrition upon us, to see who washes out (250 in "pre" arch my first year, only ~55 when I graduated. But the 5 yrs in program goes by fast... and I loved it, and now live in Dallas doing architecture (good time to be an arch student, terrible time to be an actual architect by the way!!!).
The weather will shock you, true, but everything else is pretty nice.
This bolded part needs to be addressed. Everybody in the college of design is in "pre" arch their first year. Then the number gets trimmed down to about 20-50 per program. Landscape Arch, Arch, Interior, CRP... So in the end, it isn't as selective as they make it sound.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron