Howdy

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
I am going to be a ISU student starting fall 2009. I hope to study architecture. I have lived in Austin my whole life, so naturally, I am a Longhorn fan. I figure I should start to assimilate into the cyclone culture.

Excellent choice (on going to ISU). Welcome!

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
sometimes I felt the profs were just putting a war of attrition upon us, to see who washes out (250 in "pre" arch my first year, only ~55 when I graduated.
Ha, I was one of the guys that was weeded out. I think I lasted about 3 weeks and then never went back. That was my choice, though, as I wasn't really committed to the program. That, and I didn't want to sleep in the armory :wink:

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
You are going to love being an ISU student, great atmosphere. If I were you I would go ahead and start hating the hawks now, that way you can get a jump start on the rest of your life.

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Welcome to the ISU family - but don't let anyone scare you about the architecture school. One of the best public arch programs around. UT has a pretty great one too - what made you choose between the two? You will put in a lot of time at studio - it's just how it is. Always be producing - sometimes I felt the profs were just putting a war of attrition upon us, to see who washes out (250 in "pre" arch my first year, only ~55 when I graduated. But the 5 yrs in program goes by fast... and I loved it, and now live in Dallas doing architecture (good time to be an arch student, terrible time to be an actual architect by the way!!!).
The weather will shock you, true, but everything else is pretty nice.

Well, I didn't get in. Made the choice pretty easy. It is one of the tougher schools to get into at UT. They have a 10% acceptance rate. 800 or so apply and about 70-80 get accepted. They are looking for the academically elite, which is a category I don't fit in. Which is a shame, because for all they know, I could have been the most artistically minded and naturally gifted in the field of architecture applicant they received, but they would not have known it. Whereas @ Iowa St, there is a year for you to get to know the college and for the college to get to know you.

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
Yea Orange! Yea White!
Yea Longhorns! Fight! Fight! Fight!

a035-cartoon-dog-barfing.jpg

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
I am going to be a ISU student starting fall 2009. I hope to study architecture. I have lived in Austin my whole life, so naturally, I am a Longhorn fan. I figure I should start to assimilate into the cyclone culture.

Welcome to ISU. Feel free to remain loyal to your roots and cheer for the Longhorns. :biggrin:

Good luck getting into the architecture program, hope you don't plan on getting much sleep your freshman year.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
There's a lot of casual Horns fans here including me, so welcome. Prof. Bruce Bassler went to aTm so be sure to break his balls about it if you get a chance.

Some advice: never let bad craft be the first thing someone notices about one of your models (you will build many). Good luck.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Work your *** off getting into Architecture. And plan for a back-up, like Landscape Architecture or Interior Design. Develop a thick skin now, because you will need it for your reviews, no matter how well you did. In my experience, they definitely didn't play favorites. :wink:

Welcome to the ISU family. You won't stay a Longhorn for long. I came in as a Hawkeye and was quickly converted.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
It shouldn't be a hard adjustment from the Horns to the Clones. We do everything the exact opposite of Texas. Texas wins a lot, ISU loses a lot. The story of life.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
This bolded part needs to be addressed. Everybody in the college of design is in "pre" arch their first year. Then the number gets trimmed down to about 20-50 per program. Landscape Arch, Arch, Interior, CRP... So in the end, it isn't as selective as they make it sound.

I think isuarch80's take is correct, based on his time in school. The "pre-design" status has changed from about 4 - 5 yrs ago. I was "pre-arch" as a frosh. A few years later, they changed to "pre-design." I began as one of 242 students in "pre-arch," I graduated one of 56 w/ a BArch. It was very selective/ still is.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron