I hesitate to post this article ...

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Because it will surely cause some here to see it wrong. What it shows is that Ames and Manhattan are more alike than our land grant detractors would like to admit, both fast growing.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Because it will surely cause some here to see it wrong. What it shows is that Ames and Manhattan are more alike than our land grant detractors would like to admit, both fast growing.

Manhattan is Ames but with better scenery and fishing.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA

I'm pretty sure that almost everyone on this board knows that Manhattan and Ames are pretty much twins separated at birth. In fact, I would hesitate to find 2 college towns with a culture/university/population as similar as these two are.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Is Manhattan even surrounded by corn?
30-miles north, yes. But Manhattan sets in the Kansas Flint Hills, if that was a serious question. You should visit next fall.

best-locations-in-manhattan-ks.jpg

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm pretty sure that almost everyone on this board knows that Manhattan and Ames are pretty much twins separated at birth. In fact, I would hesitate to find 2 college towns with a culture/university/population as similar as these two are.
Manhattan has more of a transient feel to it. I think it has to do with Ft Riley being so close by. Two populations (military & student) that rotate through regularly leads to a less "home" feeling. I'm not sure I'm explaining that well...sorry!

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It was the comparative growth that I was referencing in the opening post. I was surprised.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Who has a problem admitting Ames and Manhattan are similar?

Throw Stillwater in there and the 3 schools/communities/fanbases are absurdly similar.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Has Manhattan annexed Lawrence? This article says population in 2016 was 97,000. The City of Manhattan website says 54,000 in 2017. I'd say one is overcounting.

BYW, I've always wondered, do college students show up as full time residents in population counts?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Has Manhattan annexed Lawrence? This article says population in 2016 was 97,000. The City of Manhattan website says 54,000 in 2017. I'd say one is overcounting.

BYW, I've always wondered, do college students show up as full time residents in population counts?
The numbers refer to the Manhattan (and Ames) metropolitan area which is defined by federal regulation. Essentially, it's the city and the surrounding area that depends on it for such things as education, medical, retail, and so on.

And students are counted in a city population only if they complete the US Census locally. It's hit and miss depending on the canvas. Most here believe MHK has a permanent population of ~40,000.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It's a weird article. A quick google search tells me the population of Ames is roughly 66k and Manhattan 54k (2021). Where are they getting these numbers?

• Agree
Reactions: ABECyguy

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
It's a weird article. A quick google search tells me the population of Ames is roughly 66k and Manhattan 54k (2021). Where are they getting these numbers?
Read my post above yours. Metropolitan areas are used by the government for many reasons including how the allocate funds.