I Love the Eighties

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Yes, the 80s did rock!! I was there 83-87 and many memories are already listed here but there were a few that I didn't see so I'll add:

-Terrace Parties at the MU.
-$4.99 case of Dubuque Star long necks at the Keg Shop.
-The Wok Inn.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
The 80's were a good time to be on the ISU campus - and it was a party campus. Football coming off the 70's - the Donnie Duncan teams always provided great hope at the beginning of the season but injuries and lack of depth killed us.

Most importantly, the Johnny Orr basketball renaissance began and Hilton Magic was born. Now that was fun to be part of and there were some amazing games played.

zumbro clones

Jan 31, 2007
Southern Minnesota
The 80's were a good time to be on the ISU campus - and it was a party campus. Football coming off the 70's - the Donnie Duncan teams always provided great hope at the beginning of the season but injuries and lack of depth killed us.

Most importantly, the Johnny Orr basketball renaissance began and Hilton Magic was born. Now that was fun to be part of and there were some amazing games played.

I'm still amazed at how the crowd erupted every time Johnny walked out on the court. That was fun to be a part of!

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I'm still amazed at how the crowd erupted every time Johnny walked out on the court. That was fun to be a part of!

Wasn't that fantastic? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrsssss JOHNNY! Then the tonight show theme song played and Orr did the fist pump. Unbelievable.

Even halftimes were fun. A new Buick from Beeeeeeeeenson MOTORS and the crowd screamed along. That was interesting - the fans never left at halftime until the 5 for 5 contest was done.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
You guys are awesome! I will never forget those times, and I'm not a guy to live in the past.

Anyone else remember "The Destination?" I used to bartend there. What a meat-market dive....

mkcrawford

Mar 20, 2006
Weren't the Orr & Walden spoof of Bartles and James commercials and posters done in the mid to late 80s? Those were classic!!

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Weren't the Orr & Walden spoof of Bartles and James commercials and posters done in the mid to late 80s? Those were classic!!

Absolutely! I have a framed and matted version of all three (small sized 5x7 pics of the posters) that was personally autographed by both Orr and Walden hanging in my office. Mine is number 3 of 15 that were made.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Dollar eight packs of Mountain Dew in the glass sixteen ounce bottles...

One of the guys on my floor (Lindstrom, '83) used to make a run, and everyone would stock up.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Don't forget sanctioned keggers in the dorms until a few years after the drinking age changed. I remember many weekend mornings with beer smell everywhere. We use to rent dispensers for hand mixed hard stuff too.

Oh yeah. And it wasn't just beer smell.

Anyone else remember the parties for the final episode of M*A*S*H*? SRO in the den of my dorm.

And the big poker game the weekend before finals. texas Hold'em? Pfft!

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Dollar eight packs of Mountain Dew in the glass sixteen ounce bottles...

One of the guys on my floor (Lindstrom, '83) used to make a run, and everyone would stock up.

Yahoo, Mountain Dew. It'll tickle your innards... Today, the advertisement is based on the X-games. Good lord how times have changed.

Even the bottles - from a logistical standpoint don't make sense anymore. But there was little better than an ice cold 16 oz glass bottle of Mountain Dew. With a Salted Nut Roll.

Thanks for bringing this thread back.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Yahoo, Mountain Dew. It'll tickle your innards... Today, the advertisement is based on the X-games. Good lord how times have changed.

And the original logo was a hillbilly laying back against an outhouse with a jug o' corn squeezin's. A relaxed image hardly in keeping with the X-games image.

I took my half-sister to a game at Hilton in the mid-eighties, right after they introduced the new Cy mascot. She wasn't a big sports fan, but I was astounded that she fell in love with the old Cy mascot --the big, gawky bird they designed in the fifties.

Reactions: djkent01

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I started in the early 90's, but got to enjoy the tail end of some of this stuff. Good times. I am glad Johnny was here for at least one year of my college career.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
And the original logo was a hillbilly laying back against an outhouse with a jug o' corn squeezin's. A relaxed image hardly in keeping with the X-games image.

I took my half-sister to a game at Hilton in the mid-eighties, right after they introduced the new Cy mascot. She wasn't a big sports fan, but I was astounded that she fell in love with the old Cy mascot --the big, gawky bird they designed in the fifties.

I can see why, "Clone" was terrible. Looked like the bird on the Fruit Loops box.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

The current Cy was introduced in the LATE 80s and the "old" Cy absolutely rocked!!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Susan B. Anthony dollars for extra plays on the pinball machines at Cy's Roost
The What's Blitz drink at Whatsunder bar (can't remember how to spell it) on Lincoln Way where Taco Bell is now
Priority seating for campus group central committees at all the great concerts we had
KQ on KPGY radio
The new Design College

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The current Cy was introduced in the LATE 80s and the "old" Cy absolutely rocked!!

Since Rhonda graduated in '87 and moved away, that's as late as my "mid-eighties" is going to go. :confused:

Jeff Hornacek. Jeff Grayer. Barry Stevens.

Lafester!

Dwayne Crutchfield. Blaise Bryant.

Nawal El-Moutwakel. Danny Harris. Keith Sims.

cyfreddy

Oct 15, 2006
Big 8 tournament in Kansas City. Oh those were days ! Never seen so much basketball in my life and love it !

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Pickup basketball games in State Gym, football out at Clyde Williams Field, Rocky Roccoco's Pizza, Johnny walking out before games with his fist in the air, and sprinting out with big fist pumps for games against high ranked teams to really get the crowd crazy, intramurals - broomball!, countless card games - hearts!

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Pickup basketball games in State Gym, football out at Clyde Williams Field, Rocky Roccoco's Pizza, Johnny walking out before games with his fist in the air, and sprinting out with big fist pumps for games against high ranked teams to really get the crowd crazy, intramurals - broomball!, countless card games - hearts!

500 was the big card game on our floor which was 5th floor Wallace at the towers(Gilman Zoo). Lot's of sleepless nights when we should have been studying were in the den playing 500. Fun times.

And the posts about the keggers on the floors? I started in Fall of 1986 which was the last year of alcohol allowed on the floor druing floor parties. How many others here used to wash out the garbage containers and fill them with 2 gallon of everclear and the rest with kool-aid. Oh them were the days.

The year before I was at ISU, the floor I lived on got disbanded because they took motorcycles up the elevators and had drag races down the hallway with them. Had to replace a lot of carpet after that. And the ongoing battle with 6th floor wallace(Hartman). One 6th floor tenant came down and threw a den chair out our den window during January. There payback was someone on gilman going #2 in a styrofoam cup and taking it up to their microwave and setting it at high power for 99 minutes 99 seconds. Nobody caught it till it destroyed the microwave and totally stunk up the floor like I've never smelled before or since.:wideeyed: And I grew up on a hog/cattle farm so that is saying something.