I Love the Eighties

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Just a few memories--I arrived on campus in '83.

Two-fers at Do-Biz on Tuesdays. What a line! Do-Biz Do now in your grocery freezer, by the way--I ran into a rep at Hy-Vee a month or so ago.

Zevs Kosmos. 'Nuff said.

Reverand Jed and Sister Cindy. Nothin' like marrying your Sister. At least it wasn't them who got the Free Speech zone erected.

Barry and the Missouri Game. I saw it recently on Mediacom (just before we got Dish), and couldn't believe all that I hadn't remembered--even though I was there, a few rows up behind the basket.

Anyone else remember 'Iowa Sweet Corn'? The poster, that is.

I lived in Birch Hall one semester, then Ash House when I came back. The elsewhere off campus.

The Original VEISHEA "riots". Couches burning in the street, police cars overturned, people dangling from street lights over the fires.

Lots more, but I hope to start people talking.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Mug night at the Mississippi Queen - and taking my mug to and from on my little Honda CB 360.

Dime draws and dollar pitchers at Cy's Roost.

The M-Shop. Enough said.

Heeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrre's JOHNNY! Hilton Coliseum rocked in those days. People that weren't there cannot understand the difference. The players used to comment about the court literally vibrating from the noise.

By the way - a little flashback brought current. People's Court on Court Avenue in Des Moines has a lot of ISU nostalgia throughout - not to mention a lot of good bands. Drinks are free poured - you'll get your money's worth relative to most bars. I watched The Nada's there awhile back - all ISU kids. It was great!

Reactions: Phaedrus

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Oh yeah - and student general admission seating at football games - the race to get the best seats. But in those days, we were allowed to bring alcohol into the stadium in wineskins.

I'd have rather tailgated, but the race up the hills to the seats was a great thing. Screw the stairs, I'm taking the straight line from a to b...

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Aardvarks pizza, Granddaddys pitchers (still have mine at work), .75 gintonics at Thumbs, Dugans Deli, Veisha parade where one of my floormates broke the bigtoe off a float and ran down the street.... Brother Zed --- and I NEVER ended up burning in a lake of fire although I'm not dead yet...

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Awesome pizza at DaVinci's, FAC's, Watching Barry Sanders and the "Boz" Brian Bosworth playing at Jack Trice, listening to the roar of the crowd as Johnny Orr came onto the basketball court, the rowdy student tailgating section in the western lot of the parking lot north of Jack Trice, sky duking (don't ask), the big time party's in our house across the street from the Ames PD.

Reactions: Phaedrus

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
Tork's pub, ISU Basketball, Steam-tunnelling, passing cheerleaders/pom-girls up the stands, early Saturday morning pre-game rehearsals, mud runs down pammel creek and living in the female dorms for a year and a half....

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
the cave $4 all you could drink. 79 cent quarts of old mil at what is now Kum and Go. 4 for a buck burgers at hardees. $4.29 a case for Red White and Blue at Snyder drug. 2 fers at Lost and Found. 25 cent brats from ISU. experimental round bacon for free before they perfected it for McDonalds. improv at the Mshop. Sunday night Pizza Pit. sledding down the hills on our lunch trays. God I miss the times at ISU. When did we find time to study?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Aardvarks pizza, Granddaddys pitchers (still have mine at work), .75 gintonics at Thumbs, Dugans Deli, Veisha parade where one of my floormates broke the bigtoe off a float and ran down the street.... Brother Zed --- and I NEVER ended up burning in a lake of fire although I'm not dead yet...

20 years later... still goin!

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
I remember going to Pizza Pit. I thought it was hilarious that the women who worked there had to wear shirts that said "Free, Fast, and Hot!"

How about $4 medium one topping pizzas on Sunday night???

I survived my Freshman year on those....

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Don't forget sanctioned keggers in the dorms until a few years after the drinking age changed. I remember many weekend mornings with beer smell everywhere. We use to rent dispensers for hand mixed hard stuff too.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
I spent a little under two years in the 80s, none of that time in Ames. Or Iowa for that matter.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Funny, from some of the comments on this thread it sounds like that's about the same amount of time some of the posters spent sober in the '80s! :wink:
Well, some quick mental math tells me that means they were sober about every other Monday during the 80s :shocked::swoon: