I Say Keep PR!

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Of course the coach should be held accountable for his job (but it isn't exactly like your job or mine). I pay a ******** of money each year to the AD and I expect it. And NOBODY wants to win more than I do. We just disagree on how that gets done. I don't see anything wrong with that either. I'm not 100% sure Rhoads is the man for the job. But I don't 100% think he isn't right now either. I just think that some people believe that football coach X is going to be able to come in a magically do things that Rhoads can't (as if he isn't even trying). Given all of the variables in this particular situation, I'm in the camp of seeing what happens next year and if that isn't a stark improvement making a change.

Thank you for being rational, and thoughtful in your response. It's refreshing to see someone that doesn't have a knee-jerk reaction to a couple down years.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Just because you keep calling things "tired arguments" doesn't make them any less valid. K-State and Baylor are two bad teams seeing a resurgence but we at ISU had better just accept CPRs ******** because we are ISU, right?

Who's accepting losing? Because everybody wants to win more and expects too, there are just different opinions on if CPR should be given another year to try to accomplish that or not.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
They are tired because they aren't based on rational thought. Of course no one wants to accept losing, and it's disingenuous to infer that from the conversation. K-State and Baylor are what you call "outliers." Those types of resurgences do not happen often. The expediency of the Baylor resurgance should certainly not be expected. Baylor has a recruiting advantage that cannot be replicated at ISU. The groundwork for K-State's resurgence was built during Snyder's first tenure at K-State. I fully expect them to fall back into the bottom of the conference when he retires again, because they face the same hurdles as ISU in terms of recruiting (location). CPR has had some bad luck the past few years that will hopefully turn in our favor in the next couple of years. That said, you can have a knee-jerk reaction every time we have a down year if it makes you feel better. I can guarantee you that if that is your MO, you're gonna be doing the same thing again in 4 years if we were to replace Rhoads, because your expectations are too high at this point in time.

Thank you for being rational, and thoughtful in your response. It's refreshing to see someone that doesn't have a knee-jerk reaction to a couple down years.

Are you kidding me? You in this thread have had very little rational thoughts. You have now stated in this thread that the issues with the program are

a) Two players from two seasons ago are gone and that has left a big hole in the leadership of this team. Do you not see how stupid that sounds? So that's why the program is bad. Jake Knott and A.J. Klein are gone. How could anyone not see how rational that is?

b) The program has a a few seasons of ''bad luck.'' Yes, giving up 750 yards of offense to an opposing team is just ''bad luck.'' Or getting smoked by a FCS school is just 'bad luck.'' Definitely not a coaching problem. Just ''bad luck.''

If there is anyone that's irrational in this thread, it's you.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I wonder if most of you calling for his head are under the age of 35? I am just curious about this. My thought is that if you are, you have been lucky enough to see some mild success from our football program. And you are not old enough to realize that over the entire history of our program, we are a HORRIBLE football program. If you take the entire history of the program, I just don't see how you fire somebody from Iowa State for 2 bad seasons.
PR has taken us to 3 bowl games. That is 1/4 of all the bowl games Iowa State has ever been too. Just something to keep in mind.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
You are so blind it's ridiculous. You were probably one of those people still supporting McDermott after his final season at ISU. You can't see that it's not going to work out. You are right, he did show that he can be a good coach, but that was with talent he inherited. What he has proven is that he can't recruit. Look no further than the defense. The offense has some talent on it, and it should be improved greatly by Mangino's second year. The defense however is has no talent. Mutcherson, Cotton-Moya, and Tribune are the only players that could see the field on other Big 12 schools. Look back at what he has done and you will see that a lot of his success was pure luck. Nebraska turned the ball over 8 times. At least 5 of those were just bonehead moves by a Nebraska player and ISU still barley won. Any other team would have annihilated any team if they turned the ball over 8 times and we were still holding our breaths near the end of that game.

Last season was the first year you could really start to see where this program was headed because it was 100% all CPR players and it was a disaster. This season has been an even bigger disaster. Something also seems different with Rhoads. The first 4 seasons he showed passion and was not scared to gamble during the game by faking punts, faking field goals, or sneak onside kicks. He just hasn't been showing that kind of passion or risk taking the last two seasons. I don't think anyone questions whether Rhoads wants to be at ISU and wants to win at ISU, but he is in over his head at this point. The talent, at least on the defensive side, is equivalent to the early to mid 90's. That is going to set this program back many years unless some changes start happening now.

People keep thinking that all these JUCO's is going to cure the problem. We see how well that turned out this season when they signed 8 of them. None of them are making a big impact. Sure some of them play, but none of them are any where near being a standout. One of them is redshirting, not because he is injured, but because he couldn't beat other players out at ISU's worst position.

You have stated that a big problem for ISU is that Jake Knott and A.J. Klein left. There is anywhere from 15-35 players that leave every program every year. If you can't recover from losing two players after two years, then you have a major red flag from not only a talent stand point, but from a coaching stand point. We all want ISU to be successful, but you are blind if you think he has ''earned'' being the coach another year. He has had 1 winning season in 6 years. He hasn't earned anything. He will likely get at least one more season, and you will see that recruiting is going to be the downfall of the CPR era.

Hmm. Where to begin.

1. No, I was off of the McDermott bandwagon pretty early. It was clear he didn't have it early on, and it was only more solidified when players started leaving in droves.

2. I'm not blind. I just understand that success in recruiting at ISU has a razor-thin margin for error. I agree that he hasn't hit on as many recruits as I would have liked, but it isn't like it's an easy thing to project when you're selecting from 2 and 3 star kids. I completely agree with you that recruiting will be CPR's downfall, not coaching ability. I'm glad you can agree that he has demonstrated the ability to coach.

3. People wanted us to emulate K-state, so we bring in JUCOs to emulate K-state and it isn't a rousing success the first year. Therefore, it can never work because it didn't work the first year? But it has worked at K-state, so it can work, methinks. We just have to find the players. It goes back to recruiting.

4. Sure, every program loses 15-35 players a year, but those two players were both all-time greats in terms of leadership and production at ISU. Thus, it was and is extremely difficult to replace them. Generally, when a program loses two all time great players that are the heart and soul of your team, the success of the team is going to suffer. It happens every year. That is, it's normal. If there is not drop off in a situation like that, it's abnormal.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
This thread has turned into an argument between a rational person who has good reasons for supporting Rhoads coming back, and people who have convinced themselves Rhoads is the antichrist.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Hmm. Where to begin.

1. No, I was off of the McDermott bandwagon pretty early. It was clear he didn't have it early on, and it was only more solidified when players started leaving in droves.

2. I'm not blind. I just understand that success in recruiting at ISU has a razor-thin margin for error. I agree that he hasn't hit on as many recruits as I would have liked, but it isn't like it's an easy thing to project when you're selecting from 2 and 3 star kids. I completely agree with you that recruiting will be CPR's downfall, not coaching ability. I'm glad you can agree that he has demonstrated the ability to coach.

3. People wanted us to emulate K-state, so we bring in JUCOs to emulate K-state and it isn't a rousing success the first year. Therefore, it can never work because it didn't work the first year? But it has worked at K-state, so it can work, methinks. We just have to find the players. It goes back to recruiting.

4. Sure, every program loses 15-35 players a year, but those two players were both all-time greats in terms of leadership and production at ISU. Thus, it was and is extremely difficult to replace them. Generally, when a program loses two all time great players that are the heart and soul of your team, the success of the team is going to suffer. It happens every year. That is, it's normal. If there is not drop off in a situation like that, it's abnormal.

Kansas State's whole recruiting concept revolves around recruiting JUCO players. That is there game plan from day 1. There goal is JUCO's first, high school second. Every other program recruits JUCO players because they are desperate or have holes to fill.

Yes, there should be a drop off, but not a mountain side and it should not take at least three years to replace.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Are you kidding me? You in this thread have had very little rational thoughts. You have now stated in this thread that the issues with the program are

a) Two players from two seasons ago are gone and that has left a big hole in the leadership of this team. Do you not see how stupid that sounds? So that's why the program is bad. Jake Knott and A.J. Klein are gone. How could anyone not see how rational that is?

b) The program has a a few seasons of ''bad luck.'' Yes, giving up 750 yards of offense to an opposing team is just ''bad luck.'' Or getting smoked by a FCS school is just 'bad luck.'' Definitely not a coaching problem. Just ''bad luck.''

If there is anyone that's irrational in this thread, it's you.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on what is rational and what isn't rational.

a) I don't think it is unreasonable or irrational to think the defense is going to suffer a drop off when two all-time greats in terms of production and leadership (i.e., they cover a lot of mistakes) are replaced by much younger players.

b) Yes, please take an extreme worst case or two and show me how rational you are. Please continue to ignore the close game with K-state or the win at Iowa or the close game at Texas or TTU. We are bad this year. I never said we weren't. I never thought we were going to be good.

It's not a coaching problem. It's a talent problem. And, yes, I know that falls on the coach, but recruiting at ISU has a razor-thin margin for error, so there are gonna be more misses than hits.

P.S. The funny part is you bring in the 750 yards rushing after I had argued that losing Knott and Klein were huge loses for our defense. That sort of makes my point for me. Thanks.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Kansas State's whole recruiting concept revolves around recruiting JUCO players. That is there game plan from day 1. There goal is JUCO's first, high school second. Every other program recruits JUCO players because they are desperate or have holes to fill.

Yes, there should be a drop off, but not a mountain side and it should not take at least three years to replace.

I'm confused...should we recruit JUCOs or should we not recruit JUCOs? Or are you saying we can't do a hybrid or both?

I agree three years is enough. That is why I feel that if it doesn't improve next year, we can talk.

P.S. You're never gonna directly replace Knott and Klein...we will have to compensate in other areas.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on what is rational and what isn't rational.

a) I don't think it is unreasonable or irrational to think the defense is going to suffer a drop off when two all-time greats in terms of production and leadership (i.e., they cover a lot of mistakes) are replaced by much younger players.

b) Yes, please take an extreme worst case or two and show me how rational you are. Please continue to ignore the close game with K-state or the win at Iowa or the close game at Texas or TTU. We are bad this year. I never said we weren't. I never thought we were going to be good.

It's not a coaching problem. It's a talent problem. And, yes, I know that falls on the coach, but recruiting at ISU has a razor-thin margin for error, so there are gonna be more misses than hits.

P.S. The funny part is you bring in the 750 yards rushing after I had argued that losing Knott and Klein were huge loses for our defense. That sort of makes my point for me. Thanks.

I'm confused...should we recruit JUCOs or should we not recruit JUCOs? Or are you saying we can't do a hybrid or both?

I agree three years is enough. That is why I feel that if it doesn't improve next year, we can talk.

P.S. You're never gonna directly replace Knott and Klein...we will have to compensate in other areas.

I agree with what you are saying in this first post. However, go back and look at the 2012 season when Jake was not playing. It was terrible even with A.J. being out there. 2013 the linebacking crew actually looked pretty decent for the most part. The 2014 linebackers have looked terrible. I agree that there has been a drop off, but the drop off to this point came not after Knott and Klein left, but when George left.

I never thought this team would be good either. I actually thought this team would only win 3 games. I did however think this team would show improvement and at least be competitive. This team was competitive with Texas Tech because they are equally in the same boat as ISU. The difference is between them and ISU, is coaching is there biggest problem. It's talent at ISU.

Recruiting at ISU is only razor thin because ISU has yet to turn that corner. All the pieces were in place after that 2011 season for ISU to turn the corner and Rhoads fell flat on his face. Momentum was at an all time high for ISU. We were all having a good time and that is where we all became blind to where this program was heading. We thought we had the coach that was going to lead ISU to the upper echelon of the conference for at least a couple years. Instead, Rhoads failed to capitalize on that momentum and fast forward 3 years and ISU is now back to being THE bottom of the Big 12. All it takes to turn the tides of recruiting is a few good seasons and momentum flowing through the program. Coaches have to recognize that and take advantage.

No, all I was saying about JUCO recruiting is that it's a desperate move or a move that needs to be made because there are glaring holes. In Iowa States case, it's both.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with what you are saying in this first post. However, go back and look at the 2012 season when Jake was not playing. It was terrible even with A.J. being out there. 2013 the linebacking crew actually looked pretty decent for the most part. The 2014 linebackers have looked terrible. I agree that there has been a drop off, but the drop off to this point came not after Knott and Klein left, but when George left.

I never thought this team would be good either. I actually thought this team would only win 3 games. I did however think this team would show improvement and at least be competitive. This team was competitive with Texas Tech because they are equally in the same boat as ISU. The difference is between them and ISU, is coaching is there biggest problem. It's talent at ISU.

Recruiting at ISU is only razor thin because ISU has yet to turn that corner. All the pieces were in place after that 2011 season for ISU to turn the corner and Rhoads fell flat on his face. Momentum was at an all time high for ISU. We were all having a good time and that is where we all became blind to where this program was heading. We thought we had the coach that was going to lead ISU to the upper echelon of the conference for at least a couple years. Instead, Rhoads failed to capitalize on that momentum and fast forward 3 years and ISU is now back to being THE bottom of the Big 12. All it takes to turn the tides of recruiting is a few good seasons and momentum flowing through the program. Coaches have to recognize that and take advantage.

No, all I was saying about JUCO recruiting is that it's a desperate move or a move that needs to be made because there are glaring holes. In Iowa States case, it's both.

I think this is where our expectations differed. I actually though we had a chance to be worse this year because of the turnover on the D-line. Our linebackers started off awfully last year, but did improve as the season progressed, but then we lost a 5th year senior, so I also thought we would regress there as well. And then we installed an entirely new offense, so I thought there would be growing pains in that area, too.

When you say that after 2011, we had a chance to turn the corner, I think when you are at the level of ISU, you need several seasons of success and splashes to truly get to the point of turning the corner. Even then, the corner is a long and winding corner that is fraught with ebbs and flows as you try to get there. It may be that you never get there with the current coach, but we have to give him another year to see if there is improvement.

peachy

Oct 14, 2006
I think this is where our expectations differed. I actually though we had a chance to be worse this year because of the turnover on the D-line. Our linebackers started off awfully last year, but did improve as the season progressed, but then we lost a 5th year senior, so I also thought we would regress there as well. And then we installed an entirely new offense, so I thought there would be growing pains in that area, too.

When you say that after 2011, we had a chance to turn the corner, I think when you are at the level of ISU, you need several seasons of success and splashes to truly get to the point of turning the corner. Even then, the corner is a long and winding corner that is fraught with ebbs and flows as you try to get there. It may be that you never get there with the current coach, but we have to give him another year to see if there is improvement.

You seem like a rational poster SeaDog. I think we are just splitting hairs here. You feel he needs another year, or in some strange sense, has "earned" it with his success from 3 years ago. Again, I use the term "success" loosely. I disagree, because I don't see what good one more year will do.

The recruiting has already soured, as we recently lost 3 commitments in one week. As I previously stated, we lose our best offensive and defensive lineman, as well as our best receiver. In your opinion, if we go 3-9 next year, is it fair to cut CPR loose? Is he in the clear with a gawdy 4-8 record? Not to be Debbie Downer, but I do not see 4 wins on the schedule next year.

The problem is the ridiculous contract JP laid out. All college AD's should know and abide by the "Ferentz rule". Never give your coach a 10 year extension based off of one good year. That is exactly what JP did, and it will cost him and the athletic dept. dearly to buy out the contract. Stupid, stupid, stupid. When you do that, you are stuck with lame duck coaches who will collect millions if you try to get rid of them.

You will have your wish, and we will be stuck with at least one more year with this lame duck coach, simply because we can't afford to buy out the stupid contract. That sets back the new coach one year. What if a great coach is available this year, but we miss out on him? Won't other schools use our "lame duck coach" status against us on the recruiting trail? (Oh, wait.) Won't attendance suffer next year, with less people buying season tickets?

There are many negatives to holding out for better results next year, but again, you will have your wish, and we shall see........

cylove

Jul 14, 2014
So what was your stance on gmac then?

That we could not afford to fire him either. Thank you Creighton, and Doug Elgin

Imagine a BCS Power 5 conference team (for now anyway) being unable to fire a coach because they didn't have enough money.

That would be like a BCS Power 5 conference team having to finance a $7 million dollar scoreboard. :nah:

:sad:

cylove

Jul 14, 2014
You seem like a rational poster SeaDog. I think we are just splitting hairs here. You feel he needs another year, or in some strange sense, has "earned" it with his success from 3 years ago. Again, I use the term "success" loosely. I disagree, because I don't see what good one more year will do.

The recruiting has already soured, as we recently lost 3 commitments in one week. As I previously stated, we lose our best offensive and defensive lineman, as well as our best receiver. In your opinion, if we go 3-9 next year, is it fair to cut CPR loose? Is he in the clear with a gawdy 4-8 record? Not to be Debbie Downer, but I do not see 4 wins on the schedule next year.

The problem is the ridiculous contract JP laid out. All college AD's should know and abide by the "Ferentz rule". Never give your coach a 10 year extension based off of one good year. That is exactly what JP did, and it will cost him and the athletic dept. dearly to buy out the contract. Stupid, stupid, stupid. When you do that, you are stuck with lame duck coaches who will collect millions if you try to get rid of them.

You will have your wish, and we will be stuck with at least one more year with this lame duck coach, simply because we can't afford to buy out the stupid contract. That sets back the new coach one year. What if a great coach is available this year, but we miss out on him? Won't other schools use our "lame duck coach" status against us on the recruiting trail? (Oh, wait.) Won't attendance suffer next year, with less people buying season tickets?

There are many negatives to holding out for better results next year, but again, you will have your wish, and we shall see........

Do you understand that because he has been so hamstrung financially that the trade off for salary is years on the contract? Because it sure seems like you don't.

Just like you don't seem to understand that we aren't a destination spot for coaches. The lowest salary, with the lowest budget, does not entice any guy with a future to come here and get buried.

Gene Chizik's people summed it up that fateful day in Stillwater. This is one of the the, if not the, toughest jobs in America.

So hopefully, this is a wake up call, finally, for the bitchers and moaners that don't do anything to solve the problem that has exited for 120 + years.

It takes a hell of a lot of money to compete at the level you all want to. More for a school with everything this one has going against it.

There is more than enough alumni to chip in. Will they do it? When I read a person on here complaining about spending $79 a ticket, or paying a coach by the win (?), I am pretty sure it isn't going to happen.

So we can hire all the new coaches you want. We aren't going to get the best available candidates, and they are going to face the same problems, especially with another round of realignment on the horizon. And we will be back here again in 4-5 years, with the same people throwing the same fit.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Fire the coach. Lose a pretty good recruiting class and start over is not a good solution IMO. We replaced 6 assistant coaches just 10 games ago and another assistant is coaching a new position group.

We get some DT help along with some LB help including Jordan Harris who redshirted and that will help the defense a lot.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN

I agree that losing the three recruits a few weeks ago wasn't pleasant. Hopefully, we can secure a few commitments from the visitors last weekend, most notably the top JUCO DT.

In a vacuum, yes, if we go 3-9 next year, I think it's probably time to go in another direction. However, that is assuming SR stays healthy and we aren't decimated by injuries in our already-thin defense. We had a chance to win 5 games this year (and technically still have a change to win 4), so if you think that we are going to be worse next year, then I agree to disagree. I think the loss of Bibbs will be offset by getting Bundrage back, and the continued development of Lazard, Montgomery, and Wesley. I think the loss of Morrissey (sp?) will hurt, but hopefully the linebacker play will be improved with Harris and more experience by Meeks and Knott, and some of the defensive linemen developing after another year under their belt. Thus, neither of those losses concern me as much as the loss of Farniok (sp?). There was a very noticeable drop off in production when he went down. I don't know how that will shake out, but I don't think it's hopeless. The offense will have another year of experience under their belt, so I'm hoping that alleviates some of the concern in that area.

At the end of the day, I think we need to see 5 or 6 wins to feel confident that CPR is on the right track. The following year scares me in that we will lose our QB. Not that SR is a worldbeater, but he has been serviceable this year for the most part.

And to your point about a coach not being available after next season...who's to say that there is or will be a coach worth pursuing after this season? Any coach we can get to come here is someone we are going to have to take a flier on, because we aren't a destination program...we just aren't. CPR is ISU and I'd rather role the dice with him another year than take a flier on a complete unknown. Thus, there are many negatives to making a rash decision to fire him.

I hope attendance doesn't suffer. I hope all ISU fans aren't as fickle and knee-jerk as some on here. I hope that they understand what ISU is and what ISU is not, at this point in time. I hope they can support the program through it's down years.

Help Support Us

Become a patron