MLB: Idiot Joe Kelly

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Just so we’re straight on this “hero”. This is the same guy who was a member of the cheating Red Sox, right? Just a couple of years ago? Hypocrite much?

That totally aside from the total stupidity of his actions, then and since. Throwing a nigh 100 mph baseball at someone’s head. It goes downhill from that point.

Even worse, in the current climate in this country, that an effing role model demonstrates that if you aren’t happy with the results of a decision, if you don’t think a punishment was harsh enough, that you take justice into your own hands?!!

Attack someone yourself?

Seriously?!!

What an idiot. I rarely curse, but that qualifies for a ****ing moron!

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Eh - if he wanted to actually hit him he would have. It was just a message, and the Astro's will continue to receive that from bullpens all season long. *Shrug*

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Just so we’re straight on this “hero”. This is the same guy who was a member of the cheating Red Sox, right? Just a couple of years ago? Hypocrite much?

That totally aside from the total stupidity of his actions, then and since. Throwing a nigh 100 mph baseball at someone’s head. It goes downhill from that point.

Even worse, in the current climate in this country, that an effing role model demonstrates that if you aren’t happy with the results of a decision, if you don’t think a punishment was harsh enough, that you take justice into your own hands?!!

Attack someone yourself?

Seriously?!!

I'd agree the pitch location was problematic. It wound up pretty far from him, but you never throw upstairs in this situation.

With that said, I have no problem with routine HBPs to Astros players. Just stay away from their heads. The MLB chose to be light on the punishment, so it's up to the players to dissuade any future attempts to cheat.

I'd also probably pump the brakes with the role model thing. If people are using this as justification to "take justice into your own hands" that was probably an unhinged person as it is. Not sure there's any great, macro lesson to learn from this, other than don't cheat in MLB.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

Attack someone yourself?

Seriously?!!

Isn't that kind of the essence of the current climate?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
MLB did this to themselves by giving the Astros a slap on the wrist for their cheating. Personally I have no problem with what he did. The Astros are getting off even easier this season with no fans at games to boo and heckle them too. We all knew this was going to happen when the Dodgers faced them too, of any team in baseball they lost the most due to what the Astros did. I wouldn't mind every team this year plunking at least 1 guy a series, especially any players still on the Astros that were directly involved with the cheating that went on.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I hate the 'well back in the day this was pretty normal' narrative as much as anyone on other subjects but since it's baseball isn't this kind of the way things are settled in the MLB?

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
If you really want to hit someone you don't aim for the head, you pitch at their ribs.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Attack someone yourself?

Seriously?!!

Baseball has an unwritten rule that the game policies itself. It's gonna be a LONG season for the Astros.... Next year won't be any better because there a re a lot of teams that they don't play due to the shorten schedule. Joe Kelly just got served a stiffer punishment than the cheating Astros organization. The targets on their backs just got even bigger.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I’m not even convinced any of it was intentional. That certainly wasn’t an atypical inning for him control-wise.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Baseball has an unwritten rule that the game policies itself. It's gonna be a LONG season for the Astros.... Next year won't be any better because there a re a lot of teams that they don't play due to the shorten schedule. Joe Kelly just got served a stiffer punishment than the cheating Astros organization. The targets on their backs just got even bigger.

One thing that will not ease the tension is the MLB's apparent doubling down on being harder on pitchers who hit them than the cheaters themselves.

They'll just have to be a little more discreet about when the plunk them. Kelly's was just so obvious, with a 3-0 count then talking **** to Correa afterwards. Maybe just try to mix one in here or there a little more subtly.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I’m not even convinced any of it was intentional. That certainly wasn’t an atypical inning for him control-wise.

I'm convinced he was trying to hit him in the hip or something and just missed that badly.

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Astros deserve a lot of crap. People's lives and careers were ruined due to their cheating.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I mean I get it, they need to protect the integrity of the game.

On another level though, I can see why people would wonder why they hammer guys like joe Kelly so hard. Like it or not, people tune in for **** like that. And it’s not like the Astros didn’t have it coming to them or knew what was gonna happen. The trashtros will be getting smoked all season and the baseball world will be grateful.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

Attack someone yourself?

Seriously?!!

Bro, do you even baseball?