MLB: Idiot Joe Kelly

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Astros deserve a lot of crap. People's lives and careers were ruined due to their cheating.

The one guy I wonder just how much his struggles were a result of what the Astros did was Yu Darvish. He was just lit up in the world series by the Astros and now we know a big reason of that was the hitters knew what was coming. He was hurt some after the Cubs signed him but he was a pretty good pitcher before that WS mess and you have to wonder how much it mentally messed him up. Last year after he finally was healthy and the Astros cheating had been exposed Darvish was pretty damn good in the 2nd half of the season and was looking more like the pitcher he was prior to the WS melt down. Not sure how many lawsuits are still active but I know at least 1 minor league pitcher sued the Astros after he got lit up by them in his debut and he never saw the big leagues again after that.

This is such a complex situation and since MLB did little to punish the Astros who still have a lot of good young talent in their organization that will keep them competitive for the coming years the lack of a harsh punishment is going to lead to players and teams finding their own ways of getting retribution. Had MLB vacated their title and handed out harsher penalties to them then you probably wouldn't see players taking matters into their own hands.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I had heard about it but hadn't actually seen it so I just went and watched it. That was it? From the OP, I thought he had caved in the batting helmets of a couple of guys.

The 'Stros deserve whatever they get as long as no one gets seriously injured.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Eh - if he wanted to actually hit him he would have...

Sure looked liked Kelly was trying.

Not saying the Astros don't deserve a few hit batters, but getting hit in the head is a different issue. Ended Kirby Puckett's HOF career.

Did the ump even kick Kelly out of the game?

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Seems like a pretty straight-forward and classic lesson of reaping what you sow.
If you don't wish to become a target, don't try and cheat the game.

With that said, a couple points on this specific moment:
  1. I'll stand corrected if Kelly admits it, but I'm not convinced that any of those throws were on purpose. Kelly was all over the place that night. (okay, who am I kidding, I at least tried to keep a straight face saying he's innocent)
  2. Both pitches that have been claimed to be "at their heads", they were chest high at best and off speed, and the 'Stros players ducked down into them. Twist and take it in the back as the pitcher intended. :cool:
  3. With Kelly's lack of control that night he shouldn't be jawing anyway. But he's always been a loud dude.
  4. MLBs punishment on Kelly is absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
That's Baseball. The game has always policed itself. If you don't like it, don't watch it. League should have stripped the Astros title. And then after they get caught, they show absolutely zero remorse. Manfred should resign.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
First off, **** the astros. Second, how does a player get fined by MLB when he wasn't even ejected from the game? Third, an 8 game suspension in a 60 game year is equivalent to like 22 games in a normal season. WHAT? Players are going to keep taking this into their own hands when the MLB won't. Commissioner can't protect the astros from heat seeking missiles once the game starts. Lastly, are we not going to talk about the mocking faces and sh*t talking after he struck out Correa?????

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
joe-kelly-mocking-face.png

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
"Nice Swing B*tch" is now my second favorite piece of trash talk behind:

"your wives ***** tastes like fruity pebbles"-Kevin Garnett

Giving Joe Kelly 8 games is almost as dumb as not allowing highlights on youtube, or not allowing (till this year) guys have personalized cleats, or blacking out home games on mlb.tv, or any of the other insane things MLB has done to kill it's brand.

Reactions: Acylum

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I had heard about it but hadn't actually seen it so I just went and watched it. That was it? From the OP, I thought he had caved in the batting helmets of a couple of guys.

The 'Stros deserve whatever they get as long as no one gets seriously injured.

Yeah among others, Nolan Ryan and Robin Ventura would agree.

I forgot about the headlock, haha!

gKF0d2.gif

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
"Nice Swing B*tch" is now my second favorite piece of trash talk behind:

"your wives ***** tastes like fruity pebbles"-Kevin Garnett

Giving Joe Kelly 8 games is almost as dumb as not allowing highlights on youtube, or not allowing (till this year) guys have personalized cleats, or blacking out home games on mlb.tv, or any of the other insane things MLB has done to kill it's brand.
I thought it was honey nut cheerios? Either way, epic.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Loved him when he was with the Cards. Hard throwing, incredibly athletic pitcher. I was sad to see him go. Though, his performance has only been so-so his whole career.

I'll also add this, since many may not remember it...

That's the first thing I think of when you say Joe Kelly. St Louis had a lot of great young pitchers that year that all kind of flamed out since.

The other hilarious thing he did that season was put on a really realistic old man mask and just sit in the dugout and nobody knew who he was.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Just so we’re straight on this “hero”. This is the same guy who was a member of the cheating Red Sox, right? Just a couple of years ago? Hypocrite much?

That totally aside from the total stupidity of his actions, then and since. Throwing a nigh 100 mph baseball at someone’s head. It goes downhill from that point.

Even worse, in the current climate in this country, that an effing role model demonstrates that if you aren’t happy with the results of a decision, if you don’t think a punishment was harsh enough, that you take justice into your own hands?!!

Attack someone yourself?

Seriously?!!

What an idiot. I rarely curse, but that qualifies for a ****ing moron!
Joe Kelly is a role model. Stand up to cheaters and bullies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Kelly seems a little cray cray. Add the funky glasses and I can't help sorta liking him even when he was with the Red Sox and me being a Yankee fan.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
The fact that Joe Kelly got 8 games for that and the Astros players got 0 games for cheating is an absolute abomination to the game of baseball. The Astros better get comfortable being thrown at because it will happen all season long.