IF...Booz, JVB and Lucca were still...

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
We are not the only team with losses. Many of our opponents could play this same game as well. Northwestern lost their best player. Cal was without their top player as well. We just pulled out a one-pt win against Colorado who was missing their guard Burks who averaged 17 pts a game.

Oklahoma was without TWO starting guards, Warren (a future lottery pick) and Crocker. Of course neither could have played any better than Mason-Griffin did against us. :no:

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Great question OP. In my mind, this team would have beaten both Tech and OU. I have a feeling that the OU game will be the one that we look back on at the end of the season and say "that's the worst loss, that we should have won" this season.

A current Big 12 assistant coach (not from Iowa State) told me last week that he believes Colorado is a better all-around basketball team than Oklahoma or Texas Tech.

This

After watching CU play KSU to the wire and their defeating of Baylor showed that CU can play.

I personally think JVB would of been a difference in the UNI game (His ability to stretch the Defense, not to mention he probably would of been out there instead of Dendy during the famous ill adviced air ball with .30 sec left)

OU...maybe. Having Booz could of helped on their frosh at times.
Tech....I think we win with all our guys. Especially coming off a win at NU.

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Vanderbeken changes everything...

With Vanderbeken the double on Brackins comes from the guards...Without Vanderbeken the double on Brackins comes from the post. Much easier for Brackins to shoot/pass over guards than it is another post player.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I think with Boozer, Stiagger, JVB we are an upper NIT team. Right now we are no better than a 4-12 Conference basketball team. Find me more than 2-3 more wins on the schedule?

I don't know what to think if we do in fact finishe 4-12 / 15-17 (conf tourney not included)

Relax though...
Next year will be much better.....

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We needed all the prts that we could get to have coaching options. Now we are mostly just an inside team. Those non conference games were easier since we had more parts. Now we have to make Scotty play with mono because we have so few options. We must play him for his shooting ability

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think with Boozer, Stiagger, JVB we are an upper NIT team. Right now we are no better than a 4-12 Conference basketball team. Find me more than 2-3 more wins on the schedule?

I don't know what to think if we do in fact finishe 4-12 / 15-17 (conf tourney not included)

Relax though...

Certainly we will be underdogs in the next four games and could be 2-8 if we play our normal.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Relax though...

:dull:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Relax though...

Perhaps a subject for a different thread, but I'm curious why you think next year will be better. An honest question. You could be correct, I just don't see where the improvements will come from. Individual improvements will be made, but it's likely the top 2 players from this below average time will not be back and these holes won't be filled for next season.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
This... JVB hurts us more than most realize. He opens it up for Brackin's due to pulling out the larger defenders and not guards like we'd see for Lucca, Boozer, Gilstrap etc.

I'm not saying that it changes ISU's record but it certainly has an affect on what sets they can run and how certain team's will guard Brackins

Last edited:

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
We certainly miss JVB's 3 pt shooting, and Boozer's hustle. I don't know if it would have made a difference or not?

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
This is stupid, same thing happened when fizer left, if fizer would have stayed would we have won a national championship? I would answer our chances would have been pretty good. Answer to your question our chances would have been pretty good, but all those things did happen so we cant do **** about it.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Not at all. My opinion is that we have had years of excuses and I am now noticing a trend that more and more posts are bringing up JVB, etc as a possible excuse for some of our losses.

Just pointed out that OU was missing two great players. CU was missing one of its best players and still almost beat us on our home court. Teams generally have these issues during a season. [Queue series of posts that our bad luck > their bad luck]. Good coaches and teams rise above them.

Does it bother you that I am free to post my opinion?

it's a trend that's a statement of the truth. Significant loss of players will equal more losses. It's an easy arguement to win that ISU has had a larger amount of misfortune over the last decade than about any other team. That misfortune had lead to many games lost.
That is where we are at today.

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
WHAT IF BOOZ, LUCCA, JVB, ANNNNNDDDDD WESLEY WERE STILL HERE?? HUH?? HUH??? HUH???

These threads are like throwing salt in a wound.

Harry

Mar 27, 2006
JVB might of helped with his three point shooting but would of hurt our defense and rebounding. These are two parts of our game that are already weak.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Perhaps a subject for a different thread, but I'm curious why you think next year will be better. An honest question. You could be correct, I just don't see where the improvements will come from. Individual improvements will be made, but it's likely the top 2 players from this below average time will not be back and these holes won't be filled for next season.

Part me of wants to think we will be better next year and part of me wants to put :jimlad: by my statement.

1st of all....if do in fact only win 4-5 conference games this year it will probably be against Nebraska and maybe a OSU or A&M at home. We have one decent win against Houston which is in the middle of Conference USA with 9 losses overall. We can't get too much worse than that. So it would be easy to improve on this, but I do see your point about losing your 2 best players off a not so good team.

2nd of all. Sometimes in sports if something is not working and you try to force things it can make you worse. You see this in the NBA all the time when teams get 4 guys together that are good and the team is average to bad. Maybe a new look next year will actually do some good?

3rd of all. If GMAC could go back and watch some old UNI footage of players moving without the ball and playing together like a well oiled machine then we would win some games. Until we start having "real" motion in our offense we will be a bottom dweller. It just kills me that UNI had great success under GMAC and I was saying at the time "I wish ISU moved around like that" Then we get their coach and I get nothing.

Of course this is just my own opinion.

HititHard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 11, 2009
How about next someone start a thread on great moral victories?