IHSAA State Wrestling 2024

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
State wrestling needs to go back to 16 man brackets and only the top 6 place. Have sectionals and districts again. No more exciting time in high school wrestling than the last four weeks of Conferences, sectionals, districts and then state.

Dec 21, 2022
No.

I realize it'll never happen. Just saying, if part of this is really about growth why not "reward" these powerhouse programs with the opportunity to grow by competing against a level of competition that might actually be able to put up a fight? Same thing in football. Iowa HS football playoffs are bordering on unwatchable because every year it's the same 4 programs in the semis in each class, the same teams playing for the titles, etc.
Yeah I get what you're wanting with that. Maybe those powerhouse programs are content with the level of competition because it makes them look great having success year in and year out? Who knows.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We should just make State an open tournament then. If you sign up, you're a state qualifier. That is essentially what it is at some districts. Some weights at Districts have like 4 kids and 3 of them make it to State. kid with a 21-20 record at 106 or 113 in 1A has probably over half of those wins via forfeit.

I'm not going to get into my accolades as a wrestler growing up, but I'm not worried about what you think I'm worried about above. I just think being a State qualifier in wrestling in Iowa should mean something. Being on the stand should mean something. Hell, even the amount of 3x and 4x state champs is becoming crazy.

Also, if kids are on the fence about wrestling in the first place, they most likely aren't competing at that level, and it wouldn't be the factor for them not to go out for wrestling.

I agree with all you are saying for youth wrestling, but high school can hold a different standard.
I think your bolded is more of an argument against having these lower weight classes, certainly having a 106 at all. You could add a class or two even and have plenty of kids to compete at most of the weight classes.

As for winning or standing on the podium, adding an additional class adds one state champ per year. I don't see the big deal. Compare that to having a bunch of weight classes. Does it really mean less to win a title at 126 knowing that there are tons of guys at higher weight classes that would beat you?

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
State wrestling needs to go back to 16 man brackets and only the top 6 place. Have sectionals and districts again. No more exciting time in high school wrestling than the last four weeks of Conferences, sectionals, districts and then state.
This is the correct/best answer!

Reactions: StormWarning11

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I grew up wrestling in small town Iowa and now live in NJ. I can see both sides of this.
* It is cool to see the small town rally around the 1 or 2 kids who make it every couple years.​
* However, I'm not sure multiple classes really make that much difference. Even today you have small schools having to fight through the DonBosco's of the state. Also, at least back when I was there 3A's were only Districts and had to fight through far fewer opponents to get to the tourney than small schools.​
* To answer someone's question above, NJ has one class. 12-16 make it to 'Regionals' (equivalent to districts in Iowa), then 32 man brackets for State.​
* The big school/small school equivalent here is North jersey vs. South Jersey. North jersey dominates, but South Jersey has at least a couple champs every year.​
* I don't think it effects participation as much as some here believe. NJ/CA (one class) and NY/PA (2 classes) have passed IA/OK in terms of participation and quality recruits.​
* Now what will get my panties in a bunch is this talk to too many weight classes. My brothers and I were all under 98/103 lbs when we were freshmen. I believe the Schwab kid was a national champ, but 'redshirted' 8th grade because he was too small. One of the things that makes wrestling great is that you take away that genetic-lottery advantage that is given to FB & BB players. Thankfully, most states added a 215/220 class fairly recently. College and Olympic weights are far too few.​

Cyclone Pfan

Dec 7, 2022
My main takeaway from State this year (past couple years actually, but specifically this year)...Iowa needs 1 class, 32 person brackets for each weight. One true state champ.

I can accept an argument for 2 classes..but 3 is just way too many for Iowa. Especially 24 person brackets..kids with losing records or around .500 records being state qualifiers is embarassing as a "wrestling state" like Iowa.

New Jersey and California (and Indiana) have one class, absolutely no reason we have 3.

Plus, the storylines for 1 class would be so awesome.

End rant.
That's the way girls went this year. 201 teams split into 8 regions. Only top 4 at each weight make it to state. Total of 32 girls at each weight.

Some regions were more loaded than others. At my daughter's weight at state, I'm sure there may have been a very few number of girls that probably took a spot away from a more deserving girl in a more loaded region.

I also agree with other posters... why not split into 2 classes to get more kids to state. It's exciting and helps to grow the sport. If one is worried about watering down the competition, there's always aau state and national competitions that will be more competitive.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Because he's a good wrestler and Doug is pissed at the administration anyway nevermind the fact that the guy that screwed him is at Tulane.
So, his plan is to take it out on the administration by making himself look bad. Makes sense.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

lionnusmb

Dec 30, 2008
Ankeny, IA
I don't think I've ever looked. Are they 32 man brackets in the 1 class states?

I've spent zero time thinking about this, but my from the hip reaction is that it would make the product better in February but it doesn't grow the sport. Yes, you eliminate the kid with a 21-20 record that goes 2 and 'que, but you also eliminate 90% of those "1st time x school has had a qualifier/Placer in x years" which is always a fun story line to follow. Does the senior at a 1A school with 8 guys on the team that's been close 2x and finally has his shot at a medal stay out if he knows he's going to run into a bunch of "3A" powerhouse kids with no realistic shot of making it to DsM?

That said, your mention of 2 classes has me thinking. Interesting discussion.
I grew up in California and wrestled at the State tournament a couple times, but never placed. It was a 32 man bracket. Now it seems to be a 40 man bracket. It's not all equal though. Some of the more rural areas have to win their league and place at their CIF to move on to state. In the Southern Section CIF, where I wrestled, you had a qualifier after CIF, called the Masters Tournament, to move on to the state tournament. So when I wrestled, I had to place top 2 in the league, top 8 in CIF, and top 6 in Masters to move on to the state tournament.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Hard to be fair. Look at 2A at 190.
2nd place at State was Ben Bryant of North Polk ( got 2nd at Roland Story District)
3rd place at State was Brody Sampson of Ballard (got 1st at Roland Story District)
Gaige Allen of Humboldt was 39-2 and ranked 3rd in the state, I think. Got 3rd at Roland Story District and didn't get to state.

I remember many time in our area, our sectional and district guys met in the finals at State. Lots of battles with Algona, Humboldt, Eagle Grove, Clarion

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
2nd place at State was Ben Bryant of North Polk ( got 2nd at Roland Story District)
3rd place at State was Brody Sampson of Ballard (got 1st at Roland Story District)
Gaige Allen of Humboldt was 39-2 and ranked 3rd in the state, I think. Got 3rd at Roland Story District and didn't get to state.

I remember many time in our area, our sectional and district guys met in the finals at State. Lots of battles with Algona, Humboldt, Eagle Grove, Clarion
Similar experiences for me/teammates in 1A.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I've got a real bad feeling UNI is recruiting Kade Blume.

Happel posted a long thing with Blume's interview video about 'making mistakes' that was instantly liked and followed up on by Schwab's and Roper's wives. That would be a really bad look regardless of how good the kid is.

UNI has a big enough donor problem. Welcoming a sexual predator isn't going to make that any better. I'd also be damn careful if I were Schwab because dropping a homeless program is not a difficult decision....

Also noticed Blume in Immortal Athletics’ instagram post with all the state champs from their club. Same club the Schwab kids attend. Wonder if Sebolt gave him the boot or if he sought out Immortal on his own (or was recruited there). Nico DeSalvo (SEP) is another former Sebolt kid now at Immortal but I think his Sebolt stint was pretty short lived after he moved to Iowa so May have just been a fit thing. Blume had been with Sebolt for several years.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

Because of this, rather than an inflated bracket, go back to 16 and have wildcards and make them pigtail matches for guys that got unlucky with a loaded district.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines

Happel posted a long thing with Blume's interview video about 'making mistakes' that was instantly liked and followed up on by Schwab's and Roper's wives. That would be a really bad look regardless of how good the kid is.

UNI has a big enough donor problem. Welcoming a sexual predator isn't going to make that any better. I'd also be damn careful if I were Schwab because dropping a homeless program is not a difficult decision....
They are recruiting him.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017

1) I don't know the kid or any of the specifics.
2) I hope ISU is not recruiting him.
3) The kid made a huge mistake. Calling him a sexual predator seems like a bit much.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Sexual assault is not a 'huge mistake'. It's dangerous, predatory behavior.
Not saying I know all the details nor am I going to discuss any further. But you definitely don’t know anything from the sounds of it. I believe there’s a lot from this story that hasn’t gotten out and the kid paid the price already. From my interactions with him he isn’t a terrible kid.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Not saying I know all the details nor am I going to discuss any further. But you definitely don’t know anything from the sounds of it. I believe there’s a lot from this story that hasn’t gotten out and the kid paid the price already. From my interactions with him he isn’t a terrible kid.
Yep. Paid the price. Only got to be a 3 time champ instead of 4.

I'll leave it here too because we're obviously incredibly far apart here...

crooksie_26

Mar 24, 2006

Yeah my brother back in the day had the #1 ranked guy and the #3 ranked guy at his weight, both went to Iowa one beat Cael, they also both won a state title . So my bro for two years didn't qualify for state, then when they graduated by brother takes 4th at state.

Back in the day with the old way they did it, I remember some epic battles in semis or qtrs at state, like when Dan Gabrielson beat Ike Light who was going for his 4th title, I never heard the barn louder than that match. I miss that place, such a better atmosphere and you could get so close to the action.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah my brother back in the day had the #1 ranked guy and the #3 ranked guy at his weight, both went to Iowa one beat Cael, they also both won a state title . So my bro for two years didn't qualify for state, then when they graduated by brother takes 4th at state.

Back in the day with the old way they did it, I remember some epic battles in semis or qtrs at state, like when Dan Gabrielson beat Ike Light who was going for his 4th title, I never heard the barn louder than that match. I miss that place, such a better atmosphere and you could get so close to the action.
How many losses did Cael having during his redshirt season?