IHSAA State Wrestling 2024

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I have the complete opposite feeling. At the end of the day Its high school sports let as many kids enjoy the ability to wrestle at state as possible. The tournament each year still has drama and great matches. I think if you go to a single class it will discourage some kids from trying out for the sport and seeing the benefits in life from wrestling.
I'm somewhere in between. I think it should be an accomplishment to make it to state. But 1 class seems extreme.

Sturge34

Oct 28, 2019
My main takeaway from State this year (past couple years actually, but specifically this year)...Iowa needs 1 class, 32 person brackets for each weight. One true state champ.

I can accept an argument for 2 classes..but 3 is just way too many for Iowa. Especially 24 person brackets..kids with losing records or around .500 records being state qualifiers is embarassing as a "wrestling state" like Iowa.

New Jersey and California (and Indiana) have one class, absolutely no reason we have 3.

Plus, the storylines for 1 class would be so awesome.

End rant.
I would like 2 classes for sure. Or go back to 16 qualifiers per class.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
My main takeaway from State this year (past couple years actually, but specifically this year)...Iowa needs 1 class, 32 person brackets for each weight. One true state champ.

I can accept an argument for 2 classes..but 3 is just way too many for Iowa. Especially 24 person brackets..kids with losing records or around .500 records being state qualifiers is embarassing as a "wrestling state" like Iowa.

New Jersey and California (and Indiana) have one class, absolutely no reason we have 3.

Plus, the storylines for 1 class would be so awesome.

End rant.
I don't think I've ever looked. Are they 32 man brackets in the 1 class states?

I've spent zero time thinking about this, but my from the hip reaction is that it would make the product better in February but it doesn't grow the sport. Yes, you eliminate the kid with a 21-20 record that goes 2 and 'que, but you also eliminate 90% of those "1st time x school has had a qualifier/Placer in x years" which is always a fun story line to follow. Does the senior at a 1A school with 8 guys on the team that's been close 2x and finally has his shot at a medal stay out if he knows he's going to run into a bunch of "3A" powerhouse kids with no realistic shot of making it to DsM?

That said, your mention of 2 classes has me thinking. Interesting discussion.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Biggest take away I’m had from this year was, it was the worst display of sportsmanship ive seen at state wrestling. A lot of kids taunting the kids after they won versus just celebrating their win. What everyone I’ve talked to in person has brought up also. Coaches and parents need to crack down on this crap.
Yep pretty pathetic. I wouldn’t even classify it as poor sportsmanship, it was worse. It was just knowing that you won, then kicking a guy when he was down.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I've got a real bad feeling UNI is recruiting Kade Blume.

Happel posted a long thing with Blume's interview video about 'making mistakes' that was instantly liked and followed up on by Schwab's and Roper's wives. That would be a really bad look regardless of how good the kid is.

UNI has a big enough donor problem. Welcoming a sexual predator isn't going to make that any better. I'd also be damn careful if I were Schwab because dropping a homeless program is not a difficult decision....

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
We go down to 1 class and it destroys already diminishing small school participation. The point of high school athletics isn't to appease the state championship viewer. It's about participation, learning, and growth of as many kids as you can.
This would be more believable if we didn't have the same programs absolutely dominating year after year. If it's really about growth, how about having those programs automatically bumped up a class the year after they win a title instead of just letting them steamroll through a level of competition every year that they've clearly outclassed.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016

Happel posted a long thing with Blume's interview video about 'making mistakes' that was instantly liked and followed up on by Schwab's and Roper's wives. That would be a really bad look regardless of how good the kid is.

UNI has a big enough donor problem. Welcoming a sexual predator isn't going to make that any better. I'd also be damn careful if I were Schwab because dropping a homeless program is not a difficult decision....
Not to mention Happel’s comments. I think it’s a definite that UNI is recruiting him. Not sure why?

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I have the complete opposite feeling. At the end of the day Its high school sports let as many kids enjoy the ability to wrestle at state as possible. The tournament each year still has drama and great matches. I think if you go to a single class it will discourage some kids from trying out for the sport and seeing the benefits in life from wrestling.
This is the winner. Who cares if kids with a .500 record qualify? Who does this hurt? Does it hurt your feelings because you hang your hat on that one time you made it out of sectionals to districts and “almost” made it to state?

More kids having positive experiences in wrestling is what we want.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Not to mention Happel’s comments. I think it’s a definite that UNI is recruiting him. Not sure why?
Because he's a good wrestler and Doug is pissed at the administration anyway nevermind the fact that the guy that screwed him is at Tulane.

Dec 21, 2022
This would be more believable if we didn't have the same programs absolutely dominating year after year. If it's really about growth, how about having those programs automatically bumped up a class the year after they win a title instead of just letting them steamroll through a level of competition every year that they've clearly outclassed.
There's never going to be a one size fits all solution to this whole thing. Would you also suggest the flip side of this with teams that don't have some level of success be demoted so they can be competitive?

This is similar to how soccer does their leagues.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Because he's a good wrestler and Doug is pissed at the administration anyway nevermind the fact that the guy that screwed him is at Tulane.
Why is Doug pissed at admin (no real practice facility?) and how did he get screwed by the old AD?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Gross - that's a great way to make your leash as a coach super short and put your program on the chopping block.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
This is the winner. Who cares if kids with a .500 record qualify? Who does this hurt? Does it hurt your feelings because you hang your hat on that one time you made it out of sectionals to districts and “almost” made it to state?

More kids having positive experiences in wrestling is what we want.
We should just make State an open tournament then. If you sign up, you're a state qualifier. That is essentially what it is at some districts. Some weights at Districts have like 4 kids and 3 of them make it to State. kid with a 21-20 record at 106 or 113 in 1A has probably over half of those wins via forfeit.

I'm not going to get into my accolades as a wrestler growing up, but I'm not worried about what you think I'm worried about above. I just think being a State qualifier in wrestling in Iowa should mean something. Being on the stand should mean something. Hell, even the amount of 3x and 4x state champs is becoming crazy.

Also, if kids are on the fence about wrestling in the first place, they most likely aren't competing at that level, and it wouldn't be the factor for them not to go out for wrestling.

I agree with all you are saying for youth wrestling, but high school can hold a different standard.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Putting a radio play-by-play on X of a sex predator for his fans? Wow! Most local media stations pretty much avoided any talk and highlights of Blume. But not old Quinn, because "he is just doing his job." There comes a point where one needs think about doing what is right, but Quinn and others don't see anything wrong with it.

Last edited:

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
We go down to 1 class and it destroys already diminishing small school participation. The point of high school athletics isn't to appease the state championship viewer. It's about participation, learning, and growth of as many kids as you can.
Agree 100%.

Maybe it's a bad comparison, but I find it super ironic that people are worried about "dilution" in a sport that is built on dilution by creating weight classes that enable athletes to compete that would otherwise have zero chance if those weight classes didn't exist.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
There's never going to be a one size fits all solution to this whole thing. Would you also suggest the flip side of this with teams that don't have some level of success be demoted so they can be competitive?

This is similar to how soccer does their leagues.
No.

I realize it'll never happen. Just saying, if part of this is really about growth why not "reward" these powerhouse programs with the opportunity to grow by competing against a level of competition that might actually be able to put up a fight? Same thing in football. Iowa HS football playoffs are bordering on unwatchable because every year it's the same 4 programs in the semis in each class, the same teams playing for the titles, etc.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
We should just make State an open tournament then. If you sign up, you're a state qualifier. That is essentially what it is at some districts. Some weights at Districts have like 4 kids and 3 of them make it to State. kid with a 21-20 record at 106 or 113 in 1A has probably over half of those wins via forfeit.

I'm not going to get into my accolades as a wrestler growing up, but I'm not worried about what you think I'm worried about above. I just think being a State qualifier in wrestling in Iowa should mean something. Being on the stand should mean something. Hell, even the amount of 3x and 4x state champs is becoming crazy.

Also, if kids are on the fence about wrestling in the first place, they most likely aren't competing at that level, and it wouldn't be the factor for them not to go out for wrestling.

I agree with all you are saying for youth wrestling, but high school can hold a different standard.
Again, what does it hurt? I get what you’re saying, but what’s the downside of letting a few more kids say they’re state qualifiers?

Help Support Us

Become a patron