IHSAA State Wrestling 2024

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
Emotions got the best of him. Think there was some chirping going on from both sides the entire time. He owned up to it and apologized for it, doesn't make it right but in this day and age that's rare
Beat me to it by a second.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
So rank the top 10 wrestlers at State Tournament
I would assume
1 is Ross
2 is Herrera
Who after that?

Knaack, Pearson, Fox, Stangel, Blume, Muller, Voinovich, ???
1. Ross
2. Herrera
3. Voinovich
4. Helgeson
5. Pearson
6. Youngblut
7. Landers
8. Knaack
9. Knight
10. Naak

HM: DeSalvo, Koester, Davidson, Lewis (transfer from NE), Jipp

This freshman class is deep and has several national hammers at the top. I’m guessing Iowa’s Cadet team will win duals and Fargo.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
So rank the top 10 wrestlers at State Tournament
I would assume
1 is Ross
2 is Herrera
Who after that?

Knaack, Pearson, Fox, Stangel, Blume, Muller, Voinovich, ???
My Iowa p4p rankings, including national wins and body of work

1. Dreshaun Ross
2. Daniel Herrera
3. Max Magayna
4. Kyler knaack
5. Kane Naak
6. Nico Desalvo
7. Carter Pearson
8. Jake Knight
9. Tyler Harper
10. Hayden Schwab
10.A Koy Davidson
10.B Carter Freeman

HM Kael Voinovich, Brent Slade, Kade Blume, Danarii Mickel, Dawson Youngblut, Gavin Landers

CyDawg23

Nov 13, 2017
My Iowa p4p rankings, including national wins and body of work

1. Dreshaun Ross
2. Daniel Herrera
3. Max Magayna
4. Kyler knaack
5. Kane Naak
6. Nico Desalvo
7. Carter Pearson
8. Jake Knight
9. Tyler Harper
10. Hayden Schwab
10.A Koy Davidson
10.B Carter Freeman

HM Kael Voinovich, Brent Slade, Kade Blume, Danarii Mickel, Dawson Youngblut, Gavin Landers
Solid list. But no Helgeson in your top 20?

Reactions: CyGold

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Surprised little schwab didn't sneak in the HM somewhere
You could add freshmen Dhabolt, Hendricks, Crosson, younger Koester, Wignall, Spurgeon, & Wallukait as other freshmen that had similar tournaments as Schwab. All should be nationally ranked for freshman.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Danarii Mickel looks like he could easily lean out into a lower weight class and be a force. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at ISU with his Paniro connection. Has a similar explosive style as Paniro.

While he lost in the finals on some sloppy desperation shots because he didn't realize he had tied it up with a stall point, I liked how relentless he was in that match.

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
A little off topic, but did anyone else hear the Mt Ayr Mom screaming like she was being assaulted Saturday during the placement rounds. Lol That was crazy.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Biggest take away I’m had from this year was, it was the worst display of sportsmanship ive seen at state wrestling. A lot of kids taunting the kids after they won versus just celebrating their win. What everyone I’ve talked to in person has brought up also. Coaches and parents need to crack down on this crap.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
My main takeaway from State this year (past couple years actually, but specifically this year)...Iowa needs 1 class, 32 person brackets for each weight. One true state champ.

I can accept an argument for 2 classes..but 3 is just way too many for Iowa. Especially 24 person brackets..kids with losing records or around .500 records being state qualifiers is embarassing as a "wrestling state" like Iowa.

New Jersey and California (and Indiana) have one class, absolutely no reason we have 3.

Plus, the storylines for 1 class would be so awesome.

End rant.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
My main takeaway from State this year (past couple years actually, but specifically this year)...Iowa needs 1 class, 32 person brackets for each weight. One true state champ.

I can accept an argument for 2 classes..but 3 is just way too many for Iowa. Especially 24 person brackets..kids with losing records or around .500 records being state qualifiers is embarassing as a "wrestling state" like Iowa.

New Jersey and California (and Indiana) have one class, absolutely no reason we have 3.

End rant.

$$$...but we all knew that already!

Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

JohnPrineforCy

Feb 1, 2019

End rant.
I have the complete opposite feeling. At the end of the day Its high school sports let as many kids enjoy the ability to wrestle at state as possible. The tournament each year still has drama and great matches. I think if you go to a single class it will discourage some kids from trying out for the sport and seeing the benefits in life from wrestling.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I have the complete opposite feeling. At the end of the day Its high school sports let as many kids enjoy the ability to wrestle at state as possible. The tournament each year still has drama and great matches. I think if you go to a single class it will discourage some kids from trying out for the sport and seeing the benefits in life from wrestling.
We should give them all medals too, so everyone feels special.