Illinois fans

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
On Thursday night, when Shannon would make a good play, he would taunt the Iowa State fans behind our bench. I predict that won't end well for him.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Weird that Wisconsin is the fallback, they have almost the same admissions rate and rankings that Illinois does. Maybe it’s the out of state tuition costs the school can get that swings it towards admission.

It's been a minute but Madison out of state was ******* bonkers when I looked. I'm sure smaller UW schools were better.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
If you ever want to have a good time, crack a beer open and ask an Illinois fan how they feel about Bruce Pearl.
I had never heard of this before, pretty wild:

During the 1988–89 basketball season, Pearl, then an assistant coach at Iowa, was at the center of a recruiting scandal involving Illinois. Both Illinois and Iowa were recruiting Deon Thomas, a top high school player from Chicago. Pearl lost this recruiting battle when Thomas committed to Illinois. Thereafter, Pearl called the high school student and recorded a phone conversation with Thomas, which may have been illegal depending on where Pearl originated the call. (Illinois requires prior consent of all participants to monitor or record a phone conversation according to Ill. Rev. Stat. Ch. 38, Sec. 14–2; Iowa, where Pearl was coaching at the time, only requires one party's consent to record a phone conversation.) During the conversation, Pearl asked Thomas if he had been offered an SUV and cash by Illinois assistant coach Jimmy Collins, and Thomas seemed to indicate that he had. Pearl then turned over copies of the tapes to the NCAA, accompanied by a memo describing the events. During the subsequent NCAA investigation, Thomas denied the allegations and said the story was false, that he was agreeing with Pearl only to try to get rid of him. Thomas later passed a polygraph test in which he denied Pearl's accusation of Illinois's offering cash and a car. The NCAA did not find Illinois guilty of any wrongdoing relating to Thomas's recruitment, finding that the purported evidence provided was not "credible, persuasive and of a kind on which reasonably prudent persons rely in the conduct of serious affairs".[7] Because the investigation uncovered other violations, however, including Illinois's third major violation in six years, the NCAA cited Illinois with a "lack of institutional control" charge and implemented several recruiting restrictions and a one-year postseason ban.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I'm guessing because he's about to play the best team in the country on their home turf with a rabid fanbase and a psycho coach. Sounds like fun as a neutral observer.
How does that have anything to with ISU fan interactions though? Agree they are gonna get crushed by uconn

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
I think many people immediately think "Chicago" when they think of U of I when it's a land-grant public university with an ag college that is triangulated by Chicago, Indy and St Louis.
I went to UIUC for grad school (biology/genetics) and honestly didn't know much about the university overall before showing up on campus. I was surprised at the size of their ag program, and most of the statistics courses most relevant to my field were taught through Crop Sciences, Animal Science, or the Natural Resources program. My department was (partially) housed in their Morrill Hall.

Still a ton of Chicago influence, though. Most of the undergrad students were from Chicago or its suburbs. I was one of several TAs for a 600+ person intro biology course, and attended the lectures during the first week of class. The instructor once asked how many students considered themselves to be from Chicago, and nearly every person in the room raised their hand.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Back when I was at ISU it seemed every other person you met was from Illinois. Not sure if it's true, but they said out of state tuition at ISU was cheaper than Illinois an the time. Anyway, Illinois is full of ISU alum. What fanbase wouldn't like us if they knew anything about ISU?

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
Back when I was at ISU it seemed every other person you met was from Illinois. Not sure if it's true, but they said out of state tuition at ISU was cheaper than Illinois an the time. Anyway, Illinois is full of ISU alum. What fanbase wouldn't like us if they knew anything about ISU?
Some states, or at least some state universities in some states, have what are called "reciprocity agreements" where out-of-state students get in-state tuition with those institutions. Not sure if there is any of that between Iowa/ISU and Illinois though.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Some states, or at least some state universities in some states, have what are called "reciprocity agreements" where out-of-state students get in-state tuition with those institutions. Not sure if there is any of that between Iowa/ISU and Illinois though.

There is not (at least not 05 to 10) but tuition was comparable enough and at least in my case, ISU was offering more in financial aid and the Dy Sci program was better.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Out here in Boston.

They were fun to have around and no one was being douchey, just good natured ribbing and laughter pregame plus they had a pretty good turnout.

Also compared to Miami and UConn fans in our last two Sweet Sixteen losses they were very gracious in victory.

No getting in our faces and laughing and **** talking after the victory. Lots of "good games" and pats on the shoulder. So I respect the heck out them.

Will be rooting for them tomorrow.
I don't really care who wins today but I find it hard to root for a guy like Shannon

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Living in Illinois it is very strange. You know there are a bunch of alums walking around, but they don't wear a lot of Illini gear and don't seem to have very much pride. They are definitely private fans and not douchers.
Kinda like Nebraska fans…. LOL

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
I enjoyed them at the tournament in the Destin era (Niang-Monte-Naz-McKay year). Sat with a guy who really knew - and loved - his hoops. Of course, it's easier to like another team's fans when you are dusting them like we did.

On the other hand, I found UAB fans to be some of the worst humans I've come in contact with. I still root against them b/c of their obnoxious fans.

Reactions: rosshm16

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Out here in Boston.

They were fun to have around and no one was being douchey, just good natured ribbing and laughter pregame plus they had a pretty good turnout.

Also compared to Miami and UConn fans in our last two Sweet Sixteen losses they were very gracious in victory.

No getting in our faces and laughing and **** talking after the victory. Lots of "good games" and pats on the shoulder. So I respect the heck out them.

Will be rooting for them tomorrow.
I was impressed with Coleman Hawkins post game interview on TV Thurs. He was intelligent, focused and humble. I thought he might be a reflection on the coach, Underwood, and maybe I misjudged Underwood some.

I still don't think I like Underwood though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron