I'm actually excited for Texas coming to town next week

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I really am, im excited to see if Mcdermont has learned that to beat a top 25 team you need to show intensity and passion. I saw it over and over again with coach Rhoads everytime his players did something good he seemed more excited and pumped up then the players did. I LOVED seeing a coach react to his players like that. Right now quite honestly Mcdermont shows no passion or intensity during games. He also fails miserably at bringing the team out of halftime. I want to see if this game served as a wakeup call that in coaching show a little damn intensity and your players will pick it up. Honestly seeing coach Rhoads passion during football season made me want to strap on some football pads and go out and hit someone it got me fired up as a fan to cheer louder. Mcdermont never gets me fired up during a game he just sits and claps barely shows emotions. WAKE UP IOWA STATE big 12 play starts next wednesday with Texas coming to town.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
IMO Texas is playing the best BB in the country right now. They are a very talented team and play a very physical brand of ball.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Well im just saying since our coach cant show any passion it comes to the fans to get our players going, remember last time Texas was at Hilton we were beating them by like 13 with ten minutes left? We ended up losing in overtime one of the more disappointing games ive ever been to. We need this win for our team and players, and coach McDermont to help his whole physcological coaching issue he is having, he's just as frustrated as we are but we need to find a way to bring some passion back

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
If we get our heads on straight and use what happen last night as a motive then we have a chance do really well in the Big 12.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
There is no team that is not beatable. Even my beloved Jayhawks almost lost at home last night. Texas beat Texas A&M-Corpus Christi by 6 at home last week. If Texas or KU misses shots and ISU makes them, Iowa State will have a very good shot of pulling the upset. There is a lot of season still out there. Iowa State has some time to start playing better and picking up some big wins.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Texas game will go like this: Crowd will be loud and team will respond with some passion...halftime rolls around and we are down 5. The team comes out in the seocond half and gets blown away. Mac doesn't make the adjustments and the team will be soft and cry about their playing time or they will cry about how many points they should score.
I'm sure there is going to be some boo's, which I don't blame anyone for booing. Paying to see a team compete at a high level and they show no effort...you should boo.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Iowa State can compete, and i always love when Kansas comes to town because we always seem so close to pulling the upset most years and its always the loudest game in hilton hands down. I think we have the talent we have a all american in brackins, a solid point guard, and lots of energy off the bench. We need to use duke as a stepping stone for big 12 play, come on cyclones I still have faith

high5forCY

Jan 6, 2010
Duke's totals
TOTALS FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
29-65 9-21 19-21 16 35 14 10 4 11 19 86
44.6% 42.9% 90.5%

ISU's totals
TOTALS FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS
26-57 2-9 11-19 10 28 10 2 8 18 17 65
45.6% 22.2% 57.9%

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
To the OP: every coach has his own style or personality during the game. Some are very docile and appear thoughtful (Boeheim), some are super intense, (Izzo) and some kinda a mix of both (coach K). Point being, I don't think a certain emotional output during the game is required to be successful. I think the problem is as a player busting your rump for the coach, you need to see some tangible results to show you that the team is progressing. You can't bust *** everyday, not see any results for a large period of time without that having damning physchological results on the players perception of the coach/program.

My two cents...it feels to me that we at a point where the phyche of our team is "fragile", not because the kids are coddeled, but because they are having a hard time believing in the program. Coach needs to put them in positions to succeed before he can gain the belief of his players back.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Texas game will go like this: Crowd will be loud and team will respond with some passion...halftime rolls around and we are down 5. The team comes out in the seocond half and gets blown away. Mac doesn't make the adjustments and the team will be soft and cry about their playing time or they will cry about how many points they should score.
I'm sure there is going to be some boo's, which I don't blame anyone for booing. Paying to see a team compete at a high level and they show no effort...you should boo.

planning on booing the team ahead of time.

a new low for this board. :no:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

Maybe you should stay home then and sell your ticket? Maybe you wont feel so cheated and those who want to be there dont have to listen to you boo.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Well im just saying since our coach cant show any passion it comes to the fans to get our players going, remember last time Texas was at Hilton we were beating them by like 13 with ten minutes left? We ended up losing in overtime one of the more disappointing games ive ever been to. We need this win for our team and players, and coach McDermont to help his whole physcological coaching issue he is having, he's just as frustrated as we are but we need to find a way to bring some passion back

That is the game where I really started doubting McD as our coach. The refs were flat out keeping UT in the game. It was horrible. And McD just laid back and took it.

Here is a link:

Texas Longhorns vs Iowa State Cyclones - February 09, 2008 - College Basketball - StatSheet.com

This is the ref who seemed to really be trying to keep Texas in the game, and even laughed at Jiri when he hit the floor after being undercut on a rebound and looked for a foul.

Mike Thibodeaux - College Basketball Referee

I think that was the day the ISU basketball fan in me died just a little. I don't think that is coming back until we get a huge upset, which I just don't see happening. And I hate being this pessimistic.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
That is the game where I really started doubting McD as our coach. The refs were flat out keeping UT in the game. It was horrible. And McD just laid back and took it.

Here is a link:

Texas Longhorns vs Iowa State Cyclones - February 09, 2008 - College Basketball - StatSheet.com

This is the ref who seemed to really be trying to keep Texas in the game, and even laughed at Jiri when he hit the floor after being undercut on a rebound and looked for a foul.

Mike Thibodeaux - College Basketball Referee

I think that was the day the ISU basketball fan in me died just a little. I don't think that is coming back until we get a huge upset, which I just don't see happening. And I hate being this pessimistic.

Then suck it up, and don't be this pessimistic. Pessimism and optimism are personal choices, and they aren't forced upon you by your circumstances. Make the choice and drive on.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
I would say that the reason we lost that game is that we had Petersen, Haluska, and Thompson on a Big 12 roster. Also they all played 18+ minutes. Just a thought