Alert: Important reminder from ISU Compliance

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
If we ever got busted for something like that on Twitter, I'd have at least 50 fake twitter accounts posing as KU and UK fans blasting PMs to prospects so fast!

So yeah, pretty much a a very outdated thing.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
As if the NCAA has any damn authority on my right of free speech. Not that I would actually mail or call any of these guys but come on if I happen to run into someone I can talk about whatever I want.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
As if the NCAA has any damn authority on my right of free speech. Not that I would actually mail or call any of these guys but come on if I happen to run into someone I can talk about whatever I want.

Someday everyone will grasp what freedom of speech actually means.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
There's no way the NCAA would actually enforce the rules against fans tweeting at a recruit to come to their school. Is there even one example of this?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

exactly. there is a difference between monetarily supporting or paying a recruit than just speaking to him.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I understand and I don't tweet at recruits, but every school in the world has people doing this.

It's good Iowa State is doing this.

My question - is the NCAA really going to care if a McDonalds fry cook who cheers for Iowa State tweets for a guy to come here?
A fry cook who cheers for Kansas, no. A fry cook who cheers for ISU, yes.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Of course you can talk to the recruit about whatever you want. But if you are a booster of a college (or in any other way meaningfully represent that school), and if you in any way promote the athletics department of said school to a potential recruit, your communication is in violation of NCAA rules and said school could be punished because of it.

Your freedom to say what you want is in no way being infringed on, and nothing will happen to you. That doesn't mean there won't be consequences to others. And...we could always hope a knowledgeable fan would come over and beat some sense into you before any damage is done...

Last edited:

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
There's no way the NCAA would actually enforce the rules against fans tweeting at a recruit to come to their school. Is there even one example of this?

Rest assured - ISU would be the school they'd make an example of...

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

The NCAA would have to prove that said tweeter is a booster or meaningfully represents the university in some way. Probably not worth the effort. However, if it gets reported to the NCAA that a booster is tweeting a recruit, you can bet they will pursue it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The NCAA would have to prove that said tweeter is a booster or meaningfully represents the university in some way. Probably not worth the effort. However, if it gets reported to the NCAA that a booster is tweeting a recruit, you can bet they will pursue it.

http://www.cyclones.com/pdf5/130744.pdf?SPSID=56338&SPID=4256&DB_OEM_ID=10700

Are you a Booster?

A booster, or what the NCAA refers to as a “representative
of the institution’s athletics interests,”
is an individual, independent agency, corporate
entity or other organization that has:
1) Been a National Cyclone Club Member; or
2) Donated money to the athletics department; or
3) Been a season ticket holder; or
4) Assisted in the recruitment of a prospect; or
5) Been involved in promoting ISU athletics; or
6) Have assisted in providing benefi ts to studentathletes
or their families; or
7) Attended ISU as a student
Once identified as a booster, you retain that identity.
ONCE A BOOSTER, ALWAYS A BOOSTER!

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Who is eligible to "recruit" a student athlete and what is the definition of "recruiting"? Schools have traditional "boosters" recruit student athletes all the time.

See Cycsk's post above "A booster ...has...4) Assisted in the recruitment of a prospect."

Is it really against NCAA rules for a fan to tweet at an athlete "Come to ISU!1!!!!11"? If so, then there are all kinds of issues here. Massive deregulation is needed on this topic. Technology and society is ahead of the rules.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Who is eligible to "recruit" a student athlete and what is the definition of "recruiting"? Schools have traditional "boosters" recruit student athletes all the time.

See Cycsk's post above "A booster ...has...4) Assisted in the recruitment of a prospect."

Is it really against NCAA rules for a fan to tweet at an athlete "Come to ISU!1!!!!11"? If so, then there are all kinds of issues here. Massive deregulation is needed on this topic. Technology and society is ahead of the rules.

Not uncommon for technology to be ahead of morality!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron