In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Might belong in the Campustown Redevelopment thread, but apparently Cactus 2 (the successor to Fuzzy's, on Lincoln Way) closed in October.

Not a big surprise, frankly.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Might belong in the Campustown Redevelopment thread, but apparently Cactus 2 (the successor to Fuzzy's, on Lincoln Way) closed in October.

Not a big surprise, frankly.
I hate to see any businesses close but I never heard anything about it.
Plop a Raising Canes in there and print money.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Is Mr. Burrito still around? Or was it part of that block of buildings they tore down and have done nothing with.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If you didn't have at least one nasty ass free FAC hotdog you weren't doing it right.
I spent a year living in Ames and working between undergrad and grad school, and I'd always get paid on Fridays.

Every Thursday night I'd go to Mickey's with my last $10 and eat free hot dogs and drink $.75 mixed drinks.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Is Mr. Burrito still around? Or was it part of that block of buildings they tore down and have done nothing with.
It's still there. Not sure how it stays open, frankly as I never see anyone in there. I don't frequent campustown during bar hours these days though.

Reactions: SCNCY

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I hate to see any businesses close but I never heard anything about it.
Plop a Raising Canes in there and print money.
It probably would do fine, but they'd be missing out on a lot of business that they'd get if they were located somewhere other than campus town.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's still there. Not sure how it stays open, frankly as I never see anyone in there. I don't frequent campustown during bar hours these days though.
My nephew who attended U of M but had friends at ISU, loved Mr. Burrito and seemed to go there every time he was in Ames with his buddies. Daughter makes it sound like it is a fairly popular joint.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It is but Freddy's seems to be doing OK.
Good point. I don't get down there much, but Freddy's has been there for awhile it seems.

That was a doomed location when I was in college because it seemed like it 100% relied on foot traffic, compared even to whatever was next door or around the corner.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Good point. I don't get down there much, but Freddy's has been there for awhile it seems.

That was a doomed location when I was in college because it seemed like it 100% relied on foot traffic, compared even to whatever was next door or around the corner.
Yeah if you think over the years there's been A LOT of places in that area.
It's unfortunate because a place like Cafe B has shown it can work if you are committed.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah if you think over the years there's been A LOT of places in that area.
It's unfortunate because a place like Cafe B has shown it can work if you are committed.
Cafe B is an example of how being really good at what you do overcomes a lot of the things that sink a lesser business, and that ultimately a lot of places fail less because of those reasons and more because they weren't really that good.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Cafe B is an example of how being really good at what you do overcomes a lot of the things that sink a lesser business, and that ultimately a lot of places fail less because of those reasons and more because they weren't really that good.
Yeah, their owner has been visible and actually worked over the years there.

Help Support Us

Become a patron