In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

CardinalGlick

May 17, 2016
Rocky Rococo pizza on Welch, then $2 progressive pitchers at Rocky's Place upstairs served by Tanya in the early 90s.

Also in the 80s and closed in early 90s was a restaurant in the 200 block of Duff next to the hotel. Place was on the 2nd floor but more like a 1/2 floor up from the parking lot. I think an Italian place? Anyone remember this one?

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
I'd argue it was their best bit of marketing
That's fair, to each their own.

Inside of Hilton, that bit was just too loud, like the other poster stated, it was cringe for me as well. And, hearing 18x for about a decade run. We were glad it was gone in recent years.

Good location though, something should be able to make it work there

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Wife spent a lot of time at West Towne (she always called it the Pube). She's completely devastated, she may hold a vigil for it tonight.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Wife spent a lot of time at West Towne (she always called it the Pube). She's completely devastated, she may hold a vigil for it tonight.
My daughter worked there. She is equally sad.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
West Towne used to be one of my go-to restaurants, but in my last couple of times there, it really felt like things had changed. I didn't necessarily notice a difference in the quality of food (though maybe there was that, too), but it didn't feel as clean, the booths felt old and not kept up well, and it just wasn't as good of an experience as I remembered it being before.

Still sad, though. Apparently some strongly disagree, but I loved the "We Love the Cyclones" ad during games.

Reactions: Freebird

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
I miss the Flying Burrito, aka Fighting Burrito. It was our go to for dinner before a basketball game.

Reactions: HOTDON

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Rocky Rococo pizza on Welch, then $2 progressive pitchers at Rocky's Place upstairs served by Tanya in the early 90s.

Also in the 80s and closed in early 90s was a restaurant in the 200 block of Duff next to the hotel. Place was on the 2nd floor but more like a 1/2 floor up from the parking lot. I think an Italian place? Anyone remember this one?

I believe that was Palmas Restaurant.

Reactions: CardinalGlick

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
We would hit West Towne 3 or 4 times a year. Pre-Covid it was still pretty good, but starting to show some age. Post-Covid it went downhill fast. Food was still ok, but like other people mentioned it just seemed like it needed a major overhaul, and people stopped going which "induced a spin which was, unrecoverable."

State2015

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 26, 2016
This may need it's own thread but I'm curious what were the best/most popular campustown bars by decade? Other than Cy's and Welch ave station I feel like most everything there is new from this century.

When I was at school in the 2010s it was always Cys, Sips/Paddys, Welch Ave, AJs were the big ones with some minor ones sprinkled in there (District was great for a bit too RIP). Outlaws obviously big but I wasn't in that crowd. Curious what this is for the 70s/80s/90s/2000s?