In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
This may need it's own thread but I'm curious what were the best/most popular campustown bars by decade? Other than Cy's and Welch ave station I feel like most everything there is new from this century.

When I was at school in the 2010s it was always Cys, Sips/Paddys, Welch Ave, AJs were the big ones with some minor ones sprinkled in there (District was great for a bit too RIP). Outlaws obviously big but I wasn't in that crowd. Curious what this is for the 70s/80s/90s/2000s?

Start the thread!

Was there from 09-13, so 12-13 was bar time. Cy's, Paddys/Sips, Charlie Yokes, Es Tas were the main hits. Wasn't an "Outlaws guy" either.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
West Towne used to be one of my go-to restaurants, but in my last couple of times there, it really felt like things had changed. I didn't necessarily notice a difference in the quality of food (though maybe there was that, too), but it didn't feel as clean, the booths felt old and not kept up well, and it just wasn't as good of an experience as I remembered it being before.

Still sad, though. Apparently some strongly disagree, but I loved the "We Love the Cyclones" ad during games.
This article was in yesterday's Tribune. Bad look, really bad.

Reactions: CyDegen

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Lots of cheap PBR pitchers were had there after Sunday night bowling league in school - good times.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Can't say that I will miss WTP. Had some of the worse service I've ever had anywhere there several years ago and never went back since then. We had a group of 8 or so that got there shortly after they opened on a Saturday there was an ISU basketball game that tipped off at 1pm I think. It was not busy yet, we were probably one of the 1st 5 tables seated. Took 20 minutes before they even brought food menus to us, finally got orders in and place was starting to get busy. Was getting around 12:30 and we had been asking every time our server walked by if our food was coming out, she kept saying "should be out in 5 minutes each time" and we finally got tired of waiting and wanted to get headed to Hilton as we were going to miss tipoff so we told our server cancel our food order and bring us our bill for our drinks. You could tell this upset her so next person that came to our table was a manager.

We calmly explained we were there shortly after they opened after 11 and it was now around 12:45 and we still didn't have food we had ordered about an hour ago and needed to get to the game. He says "we kind of got caught off guard and our kitchen got backed up." I said "how the heck do you get caught off guard when you know there is a game today?" I mean surely places in Ames plan ahead and staff appropriately when there are ISU athletic events going on that will mean more people than usual dining. One of the guys at our table told him it shouldn't take an hour to grill up some burger and fries. We didn't get much of an apology or even an offer to comp us or give us gift card or something that would give us a reason to come back and give them another chance. The server came back and just basically dropped the check on the table and walked off. It wasn't all her fault but in a sense part of it was because we should have been able to order sooner than we did when we were one of the first tables seated and then maybe got the manager involved sooner when it became obvious we were getting impatient that we had not got our food in a timely manner. The only place I maybe had just as bad service was the Hard Rock Cafe in Houston for the 2005 bowl game and that bad experience was when the place was practically empty in the middle of the afternoon the day we arrived.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Start the thread!

Was there from 09-13, so 12-13 was bar time. Cy's, Paddys/Sips, Charlie Yokes, Es Tas were the main hits. Wasn't an "Outlaws guy" either.
Early 90s Outlaws was the coliseum. Only the basement was used unless it was like Veisha. CYs, Welch, Tazzles was in the bottom and little tiepei was on top. CVS was Peoples and Lumpys underneath. Rocky rococos had a bar on top also.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Can't say that I will miss WTP. Had some of the worse service I've ever had anywhere there several years ago and never went back since then. We had a group of 8 or so that got there shortly after they opened on a Saturday there was an ISU basketball game that tipped off at 1pm I think. It was not busy yet, we were probably one of the 1st 5 tables seated. Took 20 minutes before they even brought food menus to us, finally got orders in and place was starting to get busy. Was getting around 12:30 and we had been asking every time our server walked by if our food was coming out, she kept saying "should be out in 5 minutes each time" and we finally got tired of waiting and wanted to get headed to Hilton as we were going to miss tipoff so we told our server cancel our food order and bring us our bill for our drinks. You could tell this upset her so next person that came to our table was a manager.

We calmly explained we were there shortly after they opened after 11 and it was now around 12:45 and we still didn't have food we had ordered about an hour ago and needed to get to the game. He says "we kind of got caught off guard and our kitchen got backed up." I said "how the heck do you get caught off guard when you know there is a game today?" I mean surely places in Ames plan ahead and staff appropriately when there are ISU athletic events going on that will mean more people than usual dining. One of the guys at our table told him it shouldn't take an hour to grill up some burger and fries. We didn't get much of an apology or even an offer to comp us or give us gift card or something that would give us a reason to come back and give them another chance. The server came back and just basically dropped the check on the table and walked off. It wasn't all her fault but in a sense part of it was because we should have been able to order sooner than we did when we were one of the first tables seated and then maybe got the manager involved sooner when it became obvious we were getting impatient that we had not got our food in a timely manner. The only place I maybe had just as bad service was the Hard Rock Cafe in Houston for the 2005 bowl game and that bad experience was when the place was practically empty in the middle of the afternoon the day we arrived.
Almost sounds like the last experience my wife and I had when we went there I think in 22'? It was during the summer so we decided we would sit outside. There was maybe 3 other couples outside as well as maybe 10 people inside. We got sat down ordered our drinks received our drinks and then it was 20 minutes of sitting there wondering if the server was going to come back so had to go inside to grab her. We finally got our food ordered and it was a good 30 minutes before it came out....ice cold. I said nope send it back we will be leaving.

This was disappointing for us because prior to covid we would frequently go there and didn't have any issues.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Have friends who live in west Ames. We stay at their place about half of the time for FB game weekends so we spent a lot of time at West Towne - a lot of drinks but almost never food. I hope something good goes in there.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Went there all the time for the first ten years they were open and we lived nearby. Always busy but food was always great.
Last time we were there was when ISU men were playing an away game this season. Needed to find a place to eat and watch the game with my kid. Figured we would try there if they weren’t super busy. I was shocked the place wasn’t even half full. This was on a weekend. We sat down and it took almost fifteen minutes to get a TV switched to the game in our area. The service was slow but the food was as good as I remember. Overall just an odd experience compared to what I had remembered

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Please do not confuse my cheesy Gen X music with Boomers.
Pour Some Sugar On Me was released as many years after Smoke On The Water as Eminem's Without Me was released after PSSOM.

I was really hoping it would work with Baby Bash's Cyclone to keep it super football relevant, but alas that was 2007.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Early 90s Outlaws was the coliseum. Only the basement was used unless it was like Veisha. CYs, Welch, Tazzles was in the bottom and little tiepei was on top. CVS was Peoples and Lumpys underneath. Rocky rococos had a bar on top also.

Now there's a goddam classy establishment

Reactions: BCClone

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
2.99 for everything. Only issue are those douchey inspectors that would shut it down all the time.

Hell. Maybe it's in this thread, but there was a place on Lincoln Way. Golden something or other

Lady was angry as could be. The health department hit them, but she said her relatives cooked like that for a 100 years.

I could see some chicken prep going on as she spoke. I'm not an inspector but it didn't look up to code.

Good food, but they were gone pretty soon after that.