Idea: In-State Rivals Forum

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
There has been a lot of chatter recently that we talk too much about the Hawkeyes, but that we have an In-State Rivals forum that is made for this purpose.

It seems to me that one solution to this problem would be to prevent threads in the In-State rivals section from showing up in the "Recent Threads", similar to how the Politics forum is handled. Or, if possible, allow the users themselves to set which forums show up in the "Recent Threads" and "New Posts".

Thoughts?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We discussed making it not show up on the front page. It is certainly possible to do that. The problem with doing anything is that people are going to talk about Iowa, regardless of how much other people don't want it. If they don't see it on the front page, they'll post something that will show up there. It becomes something that becomes causes friction in its own way, because then people get angry when their threads are moved to the appropriate forum, since it doesn't show up on the front page (some of this happens now with politics).

If that makes sense.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
There has been a lot of chatter recently that we talk too much about the Hawkeyes, but that we have an In-State Rivals forum that is made for this purpose.

It seems to me that one solution to this problem would be to prevent threads in the In-State rivals section from showing up in the "Recent Threads", similar to how the Politics forum is handled. Or, if possible, allow the users themselves to set which forums show up in the "Recent Threads" and "New Posts".

Thoughts?
Don't read the front page.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
It seems to me that one solution to this problem would be to prevent threads in the In-State rivals section from showing up in the "Recent Threads", similar to how the Politics forum is handled.

Good post. I was thinking the same solution a few days ago. The "Maine Breakdown" post was almost the last straw for me.

The "if you don't want to read it, then don't click on it" theory is tough to execute in real-life when the homepage (Recent Threads) is littered with Hawk trash all the time.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Pretty soon nothing is going to appear on the front page if we keep deleting everything. I vote for leaving it.

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007

Thoughts?

Yes, please prevent In-State rivals section from showing up in Recent threads.. Just IMO.. Honestly, I would rather be locked in a room with Fran Drescher for three weeks than have to read what most Hawk fans have to say..

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'd kind of prefer it, kind of an out of sight, out of mind thing for me, just like the political threads. I hated reading them but when I saw something about it on the main cyclonefanatic.com page, I just couldn't resist. Then I had to run to the bathroom and scrub the pain away, similar to the Iowa threads.

Honestly to the casual visitor they really probably do think we are completely obsessed with Iowa.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
I think it would be nice if you could choose. No idea though on how much work that would take to make it happen.

I also like that idea. Kind of a "myCycloneFanatic". Probably not easy to do, but it's just a thought.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Pretty soon nothing is going to appear on the front page if we keep deleting everything. I vote for leaving it.

Perhaps nothing... except ISU related content on an ISU themed message board. :wink:

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
I'd kind of prefer it, kind of an out of sight, out of mind thing for me, just like the political threads. I hated reading them but when I saw something about it on the main cyclonefanatic.com page, I just couldn't resist. Then I had to run to the bathroom and scrub the pain away, similar to the Iowa threads.

Honestly to the casual visitor they really probably do think we are completely obsessed with Iowa.
They think we are obsessed with Iowa because a lot of people on here are.

I still don't think "In-State" rival posts should be taken off the front page... What about all the other NON ISU topics... should they be removed too?

Wx4Cy

May 22, 2007
West Des Moines
To me it's kinda like going to the state fair. Once in awhile it's just nice to be reminded about how good you really have it. If I stop seeing all this Hawk stuff show up, I might lose that.

Reactions: Flag Guy

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Yes, please prevent In-State rivals section from showing up in Recent threads.. Just IMO.. Honestly, I would rather be locked in a room with Fran Drescher for three weeks than have to read what most Hawk fans have to say..

Would Fran be nekkid?

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
We discussed making it not show up on the front page. It is certainly possible to do that. The problem with doing anything is that people are going to talk about Iowa, regardless of how much other people don't want it. If they don't see it on the front page, they'll post something that will show up there. It becomes something that becomes causes friction in its own way, because then people get angry when their threads are moved to the appropriate forum, since it doesn't show up on the front page (some of this happens now with politics).

If that makes sense.

This is why letting the users choose would work out well. People would be more likely to put it in the correct forum, because there would no longer be any way to ensure everyone sees it. However, I'm sure this would be difficult to implement.

And for the record, I'm actually one that likes seeing info on Iowa, UNI, and Drake on this board.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com

If that makes sense.
People are going to talk about it anyway no matter what and that's fine but when these threads keep popping up it only encourages more discussion of them and less of other things. The problem only gets worse when the two sides get into pissing contests about something and those threads never leave the front page. I get that in some ways the front page should be a reflection of what is being discussed on the site but there are so many of them about stuff that isn't that important I'd love to be able to get rid of them.

Anyway, meta threads about discussing Iowa are probably even worse that actually discussing Iowa so...sorry about adding to that. :smile:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This is why letting the users choose would work out well. People would be more likely to put it in the correct forum, because there would no longer be any way to ensure everyone sees it. However, I'm sure this would be difficult to implement.

And for the record, I'm actually one that likes seeing info on Iowa, UNI, and Drake on this board.

I think that's a great idea, too - I think it's been suggested a few other times, too. Will report!

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
If people didn't want to discuss these topics, they would quickly fall off. Evidently it is important enough to some people to discuss them. And who cares what the casual observer thinks. The casual observer must also think were obsessed with gambling and the logistics of taking a 1000 pound woman to trial/cats vs. dogs/9 year old pitchers/etc.

Reactions: superdorf

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA

Thoughts?

You got my vote - too easy to get sucked in to the thread, if I don't see it I won't get sucked in and I didn't even realize CF had a thread related to politics.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron