Idea: In-State Rivals Forum

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
They think we are obsessed with Iowa because a lot of people on here are.

I still don't think "In-State" rival posts should be taken off the front page... What about all the other NON ISU topics... should they be removed too?

I think the thing that separates the instate rivals threads is that they tend to create a LOT of negativity. DJK posts some random factoid and 90% of the thread is devoted to ripping on him personally and the stuff he writes. That is on the front page of the website and is the first thing people may encounter here. I like a lot of the OT stuff, but when people post a lot of the OT stuff it doesn't instantly turn into a mudslinging fest. IMO the Politics/Instate Rivals stuff is cut from the same cloth, so if Politics shouldn't be on the front page then I could see a case being made for the instate rivals stuff.

Some people are obsessed with Iowa around here, just like some people obessively post politics stuff.

A message board loses a lot of its strength if it becomes focused completely on one topic.

I never said we should ban Iowa discussion, just like I'm glad the Politics form has a spot. Like Angie said, people are going bring up Iowa regardless of circumstance. I just don't know why the site is improved by having 3 of the 10 threads on the main page be about Iowa running/quarterbacks that are instantly filled with snipes to the original poster.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Actually, part of the reason the Iowa threads pop up so much on the front page is because people go there and post how much they hate it--which fires off round after round of responses, back and forth. Each one jacking the thread back up on the board.

Think about it.

And if you don't like it that much, is it so hard to go to the "Iowa State" section rather than the front page in the first place?

I don't spend all that much time on the front page myself. Lots of times I'm even just bouncing back and forth between "Basketball" and "Football"

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Actually, part of the reason the Iowa threads pop up so much on the front page is because people go there and post how much they hate it--which fires off round after round of responses, back and forth. Each one jacking the thread back up on the board.

Think about it.

And if you don't like it that much, is it so hard to go to the "Iowa State" section rather than the front page in the first place?

I don't spend all that much time on the front page myself. Lots of times I'm even just bouncing back and forth between "Basketball" and "Football"

Good post.

How many of the message boards we are use to have a front page? Rivals and scout don't.

If you don't like the front page, possibly just click each forum seperate.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Good post.

How many of the message boards we are use to have a front page? Rivals and scout don't.

If you don't like the front page, possibly just click each forum seperate.

That's all well and good to say, and I agree with you to an extent, but I think it is becoming obvious that people aren't going to follow that advice, and we'll continue to get the bickering that BryceC talked about.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
That's all well and good to say, and I agree with you to an extent, but I think it is becoming obvious that people aren't going to follow that advice, and we'll continue to get the bickering that BryceC talked about.

Well, I hate to say this, and God knows that in America "Personal Responsibility" is something to be avoided at all costs...but then it becomes their own fault. :wink:

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Well, I hate to say this, and God knows that in America "Personal Responsibility" is something to be avoided at all costs...but then it becomes their own fault. :wink:

I'm not concerned about those involved in the bickering. Personally, I'd just prefer that it wasn't so visible to the rest of us :wink:.

In any case, this is just an idea to make the site more enjoyable for everyone. I'm fine with the way things are now, but I think being able to customize things a little more might relieve some tension around here.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I know what you're saying and no matter what they decide I don't have a problem with it. My point is simply that instate rivals threads always get ugly, and how does having that on the doorstep improve the site? I don't have the recliner from my mancave be the first thing people see when they walk into my house either. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I would LOVE to be able to choose which forums show up on the front page, as well as the RSS feeds.

kurecabinboy

Apr 22, 2008
Unlike politics, what's happening at the U of I has an indirect impact on Cyclone athletics. Please keep it on the homepage and, at most, give those with no self control the option to keep it off the homepage.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I hate to say it, but your major rival is going to be a big topic year round for any college athletics program. It is just a result of a good, competitive rivalry. I really don't have much sympathy for people complaining that they can't stand reading it when they are the ones that clicked on the thread and read through all 10 pages of it to post a message that they think we talk about Iowa too much.

If I see a subject that I don't care to discuss I *gasp* don't click the link! And it only takes a single mouse click to head to the football of bball forum and move on by the front page.

I say leave the rivals on the front page, rivals are a big part of college sports, and clearly a big part of this board as well. However, if there is a way that each individual user could customize what appeared on the front page, then I would be all for that. People could then hide the rivals, bring back politics, or whatever works best for them.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
We discussed making it not show up on the front page. It is certainly possible to do that. The problem with doing anything is that people are going to talk about Iowa, regardless of how much other people don't want it. . . .

Angie, is it possible to give individual members here the ability to ban/not see members of their choosing? For example, I would rather not see any of DJK15's posts. I'm sure some here would rather not see my posts, too.

I seldom open an eiu post, so eiu messages here aren't a problem, from my perspective (other than there are too many of them, since they clog forum headers; but, that's subjective on my part.)

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I seldom open an eiu post, so eiu messages here aren't a problem, from my perspective (other than there are too many of them, since they clog forum headers; but, that's subjective on my part.)

CyValley, you didn't really need to offer a specific example, did ya? Please feel free to edit. Besides, the person you referenced can be an intelligent, articulate poster, unlike some on here.

Last edited:

CloneAggie

Oct 21, 2006
Dude, you didn't really need to offer a specific example, did ya? Please feel free to edit. Besides, the person you referenced can be an intelligent, articulate poster, unlike some on here.
Angie, is it possible to not see any posts that start with the word, "Dude"?:biglaugh:

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Angie, is it possible to give individual members here the ability to ban/not see members of their choosing? For example, I would rather not see any of DJK15's posts. I'm sure some here would rather not see my posts, too.

I believe you do the following:

Go to the user's public profile. Click on "User Lists", and "Add to Ignore List".

Reactions: Aclone

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Since this site is for Cyclone fans how about just not letting known hawkeye fans starting threads.

Perfect example today about some qb rumors that were untrue...and its pretty clear the it was just someone wanting to be the "newsbreaker" on a different website and brought the SPAM to this Cyclone site.

edit: exept Miller b/c he'll put his name behind his story

Last edited:
Reactions: Aclone

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com

Yes. It's called IGNORE... its on the User CP, I believe.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Dude, you didn't really need to offer a specific example, did ya? Please feel free to edit. Besides, the person you referenced can be an intelligent, articulate poster, unlike some on here.

Please do me the courtesy that you afford to yourself and allow me to present my ideas, concepts and thoughts as I choose to present them. Dude.

Because you find someone to be intelligent and articulate does not mean that your opinion trumps the opinions held by your fellow members here. Yours is not the last word, be certain of that. I will have my opinion, and you are powerless to alter it.

You would quickly go onto my ban list, if I had one available to me. Which explains why I don't wish to exchange further messages with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: dosry5 and 4429 mcc