Information on Morgantown for those of you making the trip

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
I saw this on Reddit and thought it may be useful on here: Greetings from Morgantown. Plan to visit WVU next week? Here are a few things you should know. (x-post from /r/LonghornNation) : iastate

Gameday Parking
WVU and private businesses all around the stadium sell tailgating spots. Some are more strict than others. Almost all the of lots adjacent to the stadium are for season parking permit holders. Parking cost range anywhere from $15-$40. All WVU lots are open 7am. You may put up a tent adjacent to your parking space in WVU lots. If you have access to grass area, you are typically allowed to use that too. If you're parking at a business, most will allow you to buy a space next to you if you want to put up an additional tent.
Most do not allow kegs because of problems with fraternities trashing lots. WVU lots do not allow drinking games like flip cup and beer pong. Corn hole is OK. In WVU lots, keep liquor out of sight and in a plastic cup.
If you are parking an RV, you can park at the WVU Coliseum for $80 starting 8am Friday.
Free parking is available in lots adjacent to the Coliseum. Or if you get there early enough, you can park off of 705 without penalty on game day.

You are allowed to tailgate past kickoff time. However, once you leave the stadium you will not be permitted to re-enter. WVU now sells beer inside the stadium. They range from $7 to $9. If you're into craft beer, they do sell beer locally brewed by Morgantown Brewing Company.
Alcohol Laws
No open containers, although much of it ends up in a grey area on game day. Don't walk with open containers on sidewalks, city property, roads, etc. Keep everything in the parking lot of where you're tailgating, and you'll be fine. If you're walking to or from tailgates (sidewalks etc) keep it covered. Most cops are too busy to worry about someone carrying an upopened beer can even if it's technically illegal. Just keep everything in a cooler or bag.
Beer & wine sales start at 7am and stop selling at 2am. Liquor sales start at 8am and stop at 12 midnight. On Sundays you cannot buy alcohol until 1pm. Sales/consumption at bars cease at 3am and is when most bars downtown close.
Beer & wine is available at all grocery stores in Morgantown. Beer is available at most gas stations and convience stores. Liquor is only available in a few stores in Morgantown due to liquor licenses.
Liquor Store Locations
Off I-79

• Giant Eagle - 4500 University Towne Centre Dr. Granville, WV (if you can't find it on maps, try Morgantown in place of Granville - 9am to 9pm)
Off I-68

• BFS (gas station) - 204 Venture Dr. Morgantown, WV 26508 (Glenmark Center)
  • Giant Eagle - Green Bag Rd. Morgantown, WV 26501 (they stop selling liquor at 9pm)
In town

• Ashbrooke Liquor Outlet - 300 Beechurst Ave. Morgantown, WV 26505 (center of Morgantown, most popular)
  • BFS Liquor - I can't find an address, but it's next to the Post Office downtown at the end of High St.
Tobacco
WVU is a smoke free campus as of July 1, 2013. There is no indoor smoking in any business in Monongalia County. Most businesses do have an area outside that allow smoking. Electronic cigarettes are generally OK to use.
Avoiding Fan harassment pre/post game
Unfortunately it does happen from time to time. Avoid massive tailgates that seem to be out of control and populated by young students. You'll only find these in private lots, and they've generally been stomped out, though it's worth at least mentioning as a precaution. Stick to areas that boarder WVU property if it's a real concern. Overall, you should be fine.
Note: If WVU happens to come out on top, I recommend staying til the end of the game. It's a tradition for the entire stadium to sing John Denver's Country Roads after a home game win. Being a part of that alone is an amazing experience I think any college football fan can appreciate.

Recommended Local food
Downtown

• Casa Di' Amici - NY style pizza
  • Tailpipes - gourmet burger joint & shakes
  • Apothcary Ale House
  • Morgantown Brewing Company
  • Black Bear Burritos - great vegan choices
Evansdale

• Pizza Al's - NY style pizza
  • Mario's Fish Bowl - Sports bar with good Wings
  • Black Bear Burritos
  • Keglers - Sports pub
I don't really know how to recommend you guys food since it really depends on what you want, how busy it is, and time of day. There are just a lot of restaurants to name, and I feel bad for leaving out so many short of plastering the entire post with restaurants and descriptions.

Downtown Bars Although there are many bars all over town, in the evening, downtown is where the action is.
Most bars downtown have a $5 cover I mentioned no cover on one's I'm positive there is not.

• Bent Willies - 21+ Largest with several bars that cover a wide range of tastes
  • Vintage Room - 21+ High class martini bar - owned by Bent
  • Chic 'n Bones Rhythm Cafe 21+ Trends toward older crowd with seating
  • Whisper 21+ for guys. 18+ for girls. Nightclub with modern decor.
  • Back Door 21+ Local basement hangout.
  • Fat Daddies 21+ Sports bar with arcade games
  • Gibbies 21+ Often has live bands, wide range of drafts
  • Cellar 18+ Basement nightclub with a 21+ over bar section
  • Joe Mamma's 21+ Open floor bar with live bands and dance floor
  • Sports Page 21+ No cover. Very popular sports bar.
  • Big Times 21+ No cover. Laid back kind of bar
  • Rock Top 21+ A roof top bar that is popular and cool place to go if it's warm outside. Also has a small indoor section.
  • Big Whisky 21+ New country bar - owned by Rock Top
  • Vice Versa 18+ Alternative lifestyle night club
  • Apothcary Ale House - small beer garden with a wide variety of draft and bottled brews
  • Lux 21+ (VIP)/18+ Nightclub with mostly EDM with modern decor
  • 123 Pleasant St 21+ Live music is their specialty
  • Morgantown Brewing Pub 21+ No cover. They brew their own beer. Also have good Martinis
  • McClaffertys Pub 21+ No cover. Irish bar
  • Shooters 18+ hole in the wall
  • Recovery 18+ Nightclub that looks like a Monster Commercial
  • X-Hale Hookah 18+ Hookah bar
  • 4th & Goal 21+ Smaller quieter type sports bar
  • Brick Yard 21+ Sports bar
You can find more information here. Bars of Morgantown, WV - Nightlife, Bars, Dining Guide for Specials & Upcoming Events

Tips for surviving downtown/nightlife
Taxi's are a PITA in Morgantown because of a stupid law that causes a monopoly. However, it's not worth ruling out. In the evening, there is a taxi stand outside of Bent Willy's you can hop in line to wait for a cab ride home.
Home | Dub V Safe Ride is a newer option that seems to be doing pretty well.
Mountain Line Transit Authority local bus
Parking is a headache. WVU lots that are not marked 24 hour restricted in the downtown area is free to park in overnight. City parking is pay 24/7. Do not park anywhere else. You will get towed even if it was not marked.
A few notes I want to make after reading fan experiences in Morgantown. If you call the cab company and no one answers several times, it's probably because they've turned off their phone. Don't bother. The PRT closes at 10:15pm on Fri evening and 5:00pm (typical) on Sat evening. However, for games, these hours are extended. If you find yourself stranded in "Evansdale" side of town and want to make it downtown, make your way over to Towers (student residential complex). There, you can take the "drunk bus" downtown with the other students. TBH your best bet is to ask someone local nicely for a ride or have your hotel take you.

Downtown drunk food

• Bent Willy's Pizza
  • Casa Di' Amici
  • DP Dough
  • Hotdog man (cart)
  • Pita Pitt
  • Subway
  • Tailpipes
  • Jimmy Johns
  • Morgantown Tacos (Food Truck)
  • Jersey Subs (Food Truck - only sometimes makes appearances)
  • Tudors Biscuits
  • Birdman's Hotdogs (cart)
Note: Recent controversial city laws may ban food trucks/carts, so you may not see them around.

I think that about covers it. Hopefully, I didn't miss anything. Feel free to join us over in /r/wvu. And if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. If nothing else, I'd like to invite you all to our tailgate. We tailgate right next to the stadium in the Blue Lot. Just PM me, and I'll let you know where we'll be tailgating. Good luck this season!
Additional note, this game is obviously when students will be gone. Attendance will be low and downtown life will calmer than usual.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm curious as to which part of town Deliverance was filmed in.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Is this possible?

• Whisper 21+ for guys. 18+ for girls. Nightclub with modern decor.