INSIDER: What I'm hearing on the scrimmage vs. Wisconsin

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
What I don't get and maybe someone can shed some light on is that we blew out every team in the trip this summer. So are the teams overseas THAT MUCH WORSE than these teams we are playing? I find it hard to believe they are THAT much worse. So we must be trying a bunch of different lineups etc? Just really strange that we score 100 this summer then we hear how we are struggling in these scrimmages.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
What I don't get and maybe someone can shed some light on is that we blew out every team in the trip this summer. So are the teams overseas THAT MUCH WORSE than these teams we are playing? I find it hard to believe they are THAT much worse. So we must be trying a bunch of different lineups etc? Just really strange that we score 100 this summer then we hear how we are struggling in these scrimmages.

Yes. Those teams in Italy are garbage. Probably not a single D1 level player. ISU has played 2 upper half B1G teams in their scrimmages

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
They are that much worse. Typically the competition that teams play overseas is really bad. But the trips really arent about competition it is about bringing the guys together and trying to build chemistry.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Am I surprised that we lost to Wisconsin? No.
Will there be growing pains for this team? Yes.
Does this scrimmage affect our record? No.
Am I excited for basketball? H**L YEA!

Scrimmages are not suppose to be about winning that day, but winning in the season.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Gotta say from what is "out there" I've lowered my expectations for this team. So many new faces and roles to combine together. It's obviously water-over-the-dam, but it sure would have been nice to have either Lindell or THT back to help out Tyrese.
Jacobson is pretty solid. I think Conditt will show well. The new kids, well, I expect a little showboating at first when they're trying to establish pecking order in the line up. Their winning % will increase when their "team first" mentality increases.
At least I hope it will. :)

Reactions: NWICY

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Oof. The scoring has me pretty concerned. We're a program that has been able to make runs in the past if we've gotten down and that worries me a little.
Imo, defense and rebounding struggling at this point would be a bigger issue. Those things are often ahead of the offense at this point.

From what’s been said by Prohm and what’s been mentioned from practices, this team may not have anything to hang its hat on for what is a tough non-conference

Reactions: heitclone

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I think most sports-writers predict us 5th place B12. That may be generous, but will get us in the Dance. B12 will be considerably weaker, after KU on down.
As CW points out we lost a couple-3 NBA players and our scoring; we have one 3pt threat with experience, so defense will be easy to shut us down.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Aren’t you excited about upcoming season for your team? What is your prediction for Iowa? Is CJ Fredricks leaving for NBA after this season?

What happens first. Oliver Martin Declares for the draft or CJ Frederick? I assume it's Martin since his season will be over first. CJ won't be able to declare until April.

• Funny
Reactions: CySmurf and HARMCYN

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Everybody remember this post. This clown will be at the front of the line pouting before, during, and after games.

Why would I be upset when I have zero expectations? The only reason I was upset last year was because that was the apex of Prohm's talented recruiting classes and the only thing they did was lose to the worst at-large team in the NCAA tourney.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out the talent level is down from last year, so why would anybody be upset if they finish 7th? Like I said before, if Prohm gets these guys into the tourney it will be his best coaching job so far and should warrant COY considerations.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Why would I be upset when I have zero expectations? The only reason I was upset last year was because that was the apex of Prohm's talented recruiting classes and the only thing they did was lose to the worst at-large team in the NCAA tourney.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out the talent level is down from last year, so why would anybody be upset if they finish 7th? Like I said before, if Prohm gets these guys into the tourney it will be his best coaching job so far and should warrant COY considerations.

You freak out every year.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018

You were upset because of the result of one game against a tournament team? I am not sure you aware of this, but some people call the NCAA tournament "March Madness". It got that name because crazy things can happen in a single elimination tournament. Look it it up sometime.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Either one of those two averaging 20+ was in the realm of possibility -- or even likely. I hope Bolton can at least do a facsimile of their scoring at decent efficiency numbers.

Wigginton was the one that really hurt. We really, really could have used his shooting and just overall ability to make something happen with the ball in his hands.

I'm on record thinking this could be a tough year. I don't want to beat a dead horse about it. This isn't the year for the schedule we have that's for sure. That said they will have every opportunity to show us they are a quality team pretty early on, and there is plenty of room to grow throughout the season.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Not sounding good from everything I've read. Then again I have no expectations this year, Prohm will have to exceed expectations to even sniff the bubble this year, something he hasnt done in his first 4 years here.

While the team is not in mid season form, you certainly are.

So if you have no expectations this year, will your overreaction post count be lower than last year?

Just trying to set some expectations of my own.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron