INSIDER: What I'm hearing on the scrimmage vs. Wisconsin

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I don't have a ton of specifics as far as information goes but did ask around for general thoughts on the scrimmage vs. Wisconsin over the weekend.

The final score was pretty ugly but I'm hearing the damage was done in the second half. Apparently ISU was very strong in the first 20 and then just collapsed in the second.

Not sure exactly what to take from it other than inconsistency should somewhat be expected with this group early on. ISU did lose 80 percent of its scoring from a year ago.

I'd be really interested to hear about lineups, etc. Is ISU exclusively playing with 2 bigs?

Heard that the defense has been rough early, which is gonna be a problem, as this team isn't elite offensively by any means. I guess the good thing is the defense will no doubt get better with more reps. It generally always does.

Sorry I don't have more in the form of specifics. Will work on that today.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think this team will really struggle early on but hopefully it doesn't drop too many games where it makes it prevents them from getting into the tournament.

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
Not sounding good from everything I've read. Then again I have no expectations this year, Prohm will have to exceed expectations to even sniff the bubble this year, something he hasnt done in his first 4 years here.
Aren’t you excited about upcoming season for your team? What is your prediction for Iowa? Is CJ Fredricks leaving for NBA after this season?

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Woof. Could be a rough year(still just a scrimmage). I hope they play hard together so I can still have something to cheer for(if things trend the same as these scrimmages and practice rumors). Don't get me wrong. I like years with expectations, but I really like teams that show something more when it isn't expected. Here's to this year being like that. More than we're expecting.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Must confess, I'd enjoy a boxscore. Even with a bad game. I'm far too analytical to only enjoy the good games.

Always hope. Perhaps the struggles are a clear defect that can be worked around.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Aren’t you excited about upcoming season for your team? What is your prediction for Iowa? Is CJ Fredricks leaving for NBA after this season?

I have no idea who CJ Fredricks is, just stating the obvious from what Ive been reading about practice, who is gone from last years team, and what the coaches and media have us predicted to finish.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Gotta say from what is "out there" I've lowered my expectations for this team. So many new faces and roles to combine together. It's obviously water-over-the-dam, but it sure would have been nice to have either Lindell or THT back to help out Tyrese.

Either one of those two averaging 20+ was in the realm of possibility -- or even likely. I hope Bolton can at least do a facsimile of their scoring at decent efficiency numbers.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
One thing to keep in mind. No one knows what they are actually doing in these scrimmages in terms of messing with lineup combos etc or messing with plays. These aren't played to win. These are played so that coaches can figure things out with their teams.

I think the biggest thing they are probably doing right now is figuring out who can play together that gives them the best chance this year. And who is going to step up as far as bench guys go, i.e. Jackson, Griffin, Conditt etc?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Well Wisconsin is going to be really solid so not too surprising. Still good experience getting to play a team like that early. First 2 games will help them get things figured out against weak teams.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Gotta say from what is "out there" I've lowered my expectations for this team. So many new faces and roles to combine together. It's obviously water-over-the-dam, but it sure would have been nice to have either Lindell or THT back to help out Tyrese.

I haven't lowered mine, but that's a different sad story. This so far sounds mostly like what I expect.