Invading Cincinnati

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
We're in Sec 104, from what I can tell around the 15. Possibly the best visitor seats I've gotten thru ISU, but I used to just wing it and either buy from our hosts or 3rd party. Last year, TX put us 2-3 rows from the top on the end where X dropped that pass (I could barely see it, the clouds were blocking my view at that height...) 10 years ago, oSu put us next to the bball arena. So I appreciate our new conference foes giving us decent seats. Nippert holds 38k, I'll be reading up on the stadium and history this week.

Also bought a parking pass from UC in Eden Garden ramp, about a mile away. Supposed to be a shuttle of some sort, but we'll walk it.

Reactions: stateofmind

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
We're in Sec 104, from what I can tell around the 15. Possibly the best visitor seats I've gotten thru ISU, but I used to just wing it and either buy from our hosts or 3rd party. Last year, TX put us 2-3 rows from the top on the end where X dropped that pass (I could barely see it, the clouds were blocking my view at that height...) 10 years ago, oSu put us next to the bball arena. So I appreciate our new conference foes giving us decent seats. Nippert holds 38k, I'll be reading up on the stadium and history this week.

Also bought a parking pass from UC in Eden Garden ramp, about a mile away. Supposed to be a shuttle of some sort, but we'll walk it.

Yeah this is the best tickets we have received going thru the ticket office. Pretty exCYted to get to Cinci and see how many ISU fans follow. The weather isn't looking great, but it is so unpredictable in October. Thanks everyone for the insight on what to do in Cinci as we will be arriving around 7 or 8 Thursday evening.

Reactions: stateofmind

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
Nippert holds 38k, I'll be reading up on the stadium and history this week.
Named for player James Gamble Nippert, who died from blood poisoning after a spike wound injury. Supposedly involved a pre-game chicken race. His grandfather was James N. Gamble of Proctor & Gamble, he donated money for the stadium construction in his grandson's honor. Fifth oldest stadium in CFB.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I'm going to try and talk my dad and my son into attending the Catwalk, similar to our Spirt Walk. And I'll probably sing Right Said Fred, "...and I do my little turn on the on the catwalk. Yeah, on the catwalk, on the catwalk, yeah, I do my little turn on the catwalk..." :D

(I'm almost ashamed that I only had to sing that nonsense in my head to get the lyrics... the brothers in Right Said Fred were in an early punk band? I seem to remember that from somewhere...)

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006

Honestly not a bad seat in the house which is nice. The stadium is directly in the middle of campus and kind of down in a hole, so you walk up to it and you are at the top of the lower bowl.

I assume you got Eden Garage (not aware of an Eden Garden garage), it's on the med school campus which is basically just across the street from main campus. Tons of people will be walking from this garage, probably only 1/2 mile if that.

My group will have about 10 people and will be most likely tailgating on the grid, looking forward to it!

Reactions: yler4cy

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
As of right now, forecast is for 61 and a 48% chance of rain.

BearcatsUc

Sep 9, 2021
Cincinnati
We're heading over Thursday and staying like a block or so from the city. The wife booked us some kind of underground brewery tour Friday morning.
Other then that, I'll be exploring as much as possible.
The underground tour is pretty good. Otr has lots of old lager tunnels and they take you down there. There’s a hipster bar called “Ghost Baby” in one of them.

The Newport Gangster tour is pretty good as well.

BearcatsUc

Sep 9, 2021
Cincinnati
Cincy native here. Late to discussion, but my 2 cents.

Free streetcar runs a 3 mile loop from the stadiums downtown to the northern reaches of OTR. Above Liberty Street OTR is still sketchy but a lot of popular things are there, like Findlay Market and Rhinegeist Brewery. The streetcar drops you right by both.

Lots of bars and restaurants in OTR between Central Parkway and Liberty. Fried chicken at The Eagle is extremely popular (I don’t get it). The duckpin bowling place on Main is popular.

A collection of same between the stadiums on the riverfront. That area is open carry for alcohol. Moerlein Lager House is very popular there.

Walk across the Purple People Bridge to Newport on the Levee. Aquarium is there. Hofbrauhaus is across the street. Bars and restaurants there. Nearby is The Party Source, the biggest liquor store you’ll ever be in.

Main Strasse in Covington is kind of quaint. Don’t know if smoking is still allowed in bars there. It’s KY. Google it.

Good bourbon bars in NKY. It’s the northern end of the KY Bourbon Trail. Just over an hour to Lexington and horse country and more bourbon, an hour and a half to Louisville and more bourbon..

Last edited:

BearcatsUc

Sep 9, 2021
Cincinnati
1. Eagle - Fried chicken.
2. Che- Empanadas.
3. Sotto- Italian. Reservations will be hard to get but bar seating available.
4. Taft’s.
5. Pepp & Delores- Italian.
6. Knock back Nat’s- Sports bar with great wings.
7. Bakersfield- Mexican.

Between the Bengals stadium & Reds stadium is a big entertainment district (The Banks) with open drinking (DORA) - lots of options. If I were to eat there, it would Condado tacos.

If you venture across the river to Covington, Main Strauss has very very solid food & bar options.

I would skip Skyline Chili and opt for goetta. Cincinnati staple- excellent when hungover.

If you’d into bourbon, try OKBB (Covington) or Newberry Brothers (Newport). Also Party Source is a GIANT liquor store with every alcohol possible.

Message me if you need more suggestions! Lived here for about 6 years and very excited for Cyclones to be playing here often!
Go to Sotto when they first open to see if you can sneak in. I’ve called late and gotten in. The list of restaurants above are all popular. Bakersfield is a tequila bar and the quality has fallen tho they make good margaritas.

Goetta rocks. The Echo in Hyde Park serves it, as does Sugar n Spice in OTR.

If you don’t mind spending $$$, Jeff Ruby’s for steak, Mitas for tapas, Salazar for whatever they serve (friend’s daughter manages the place and it universally gets great reviews). Mitas was a James Beard finalist. The previously mentioned Sotto costs some coinage as well.

If you like baseball, the Reds Hall of Fame is connected to the ballpark. The Underground Railroad Museum is between the Reds’ and Bengals’ stadium.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
Picked up 5 tickets on Seat Geek in section 203 on Monday. Game is sold out. ISU ticket office said the seats they sold for ISU were in section 103, 104 and 203. Hopefully were sitting with other Clones in 203.

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

BearcatsUc

Sep 9, 2021
Cincinnati
In the burbs, but King’s Island is still
Open on the weekends for its Halloween thingy.

An oddball recommendation, but the Dent Schoolhouse is an awesome haunted house, if that’s your thing. Cash only.

Last edited: