Iowa -7 vs ISU

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Fair enough. I'd argue Oklahoma had a better season, but they weren't better than us. Same thing goes for Iowa and Ohio State.
OU was better than ISU last year. OU could have competed for a National championship. Their game against Georgia was a coin flip, and I think they could have given Bama fits.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Its a tired shtick used by both sides.

If I thought any coach we had didn't want to kick the sh_t out of the next team on the schedule, I would can them in a heartbeat.

Some like to setup an excuse in case we lose to the team in question.

I don't know if the hoks are the team I want to see us beat most or not but I sure as hell feel like crap if we lose to them if for no other reason than they are such a douche bag fan base.

Considering Jackson is magically back in time for week 2 after strike two I think there is some validity to it. Not setting up an excuse on our end

• Funny
Reactions: dexterhawk

KKramer

Sep 25, 2017
OU was better than ISU last year. OU could have competed for a National championship. Their game against Georgia was a coin flip, and I think they could have given Bama fits.
Yeah they had a much better season overall I agree. But they had a chance to prove they were better than us by beating us head-to-head and they couldn't do it. Iowa State was better.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Considering Jackson is magically back in time for week 2 after strike two I think there is some validity to it. Not setting up an excuse on our end

Bullsh_t

You think KF wouldn't bring him back on the same schedule for any decent team. What if Minnesota was playing in that slot? Purdue? even an Indiana?

I would like to beat hoks on the field, I am not interested if we think we have a better approach to player discipline. Expect that KF will put his best team on the field. I know MC will

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Bullsh_t

You think KF wouldn't bring him back on the same schedule for any decent team. What if Minnesota was playing in that slot? Purdue? even an Indiana?

I would like to beat hoks on the field, I am not interested if we think we have a better approach to player discipline. Expect that KF will put his best team on the field. I know MC will

Jackson would have a two game suspension if they had anyone but us in week 2

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
What do you think will be the most important head to head units in the game? I will say ISUs Dline versus the Iowa Oline. I think if ISU can get movement on Stanley with a 3 man front, it will be ISUs game. If Iowa can control ISU with either a 4 man front or eternal blitzes, it will lean to Iowa.

I think both of these will happen though, with one modification. ISU will bring four and get decent pressure. Iowa will do the same thing on defense to ISU. To me, both defensive lines have an advantage over the offensive lines. The real key is how well Iowa’s young corners and safeties will match up with the ISU wide receivers, and how well the ISU third corner and safeties will match up with Fant and Hockensen.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think both of these will happen though, with one modification. ISU will bring four and get decent pressure. Iowa will do the same thing on defense to ISU. To me, both defensive lines have an advantage over the offensive lines. The real key is how well Iowa’s young corners and safeties will match up with the ISU wide receivers, and how well the ISU third corner and safeties will match up with Fant and Hockensen.

ISU's WRs have a mismatch against our corners. Our TEs have the edge with your safeties. It's going to be really important for our tall DL to get their hands up and knock a lot of passes down. They did this really well in some games last year, noticeably PSU and OSU, but didn't in others. That'd be a big help to try neutralizing your WRs on our young DBs.

Last edited:

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Jackson would have a two game suspension if they had anyone but us in week 2

giphy.gif

ThriceHawk

Mar 21, 2018
What are the returners for Iowa like? I’m guessing Kene is KR and he can flat out fly. Good size also.

Looking like Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Kyle Groeneweg, or Amani Hooker for punt return. Add Ivory Kelly-Martin to that list for kick return.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
What are the returners for Iowa like? I’m guessing Kene is KR and he can flat out fly. Good size also.
I was just listening to Chad and Mark and they mentioned IKM but it sounds like Groeneweg will do quite a bit.

Derpycy

Jun 27, 2018

With the new kick-off rule I don’t think isu’s returner is going to matter. I don’t know anything about isu’s Kicker but would have to think they can get the ball to inside the 25 as well.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Northern Illinois' top WR and top TE are out on Saturday now. Iowa should roll as long as the OL doesn't suck