Iowa and Drake

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I had these games chalked up as losses at the start of the year, and I honestly might have changed my mind a little bit after watching them play. Granted they'll have another few weeks of seasoning before we play them but my initial impressions of them after watching some of Iowa and a little bit of drake:

Iowa really struggles against the press. They have a real lack of ballhandlers and they aren't super athletic at any position. I think ISU can really get out and pressure the ball and not have to worry about guys driving past them. Defensively they struggle a little bit but it might just be all the new guys and they will probably work that out. They also enjoy turning the ball over. I would honestly have DG pressing the whole way down the court and his length might give Peterson some trouble.

Drake is really out of sync right now - shot terribly against Butler, for some reason they are using Josh Parker as a backup 2 guard, etc. They just don't look like they are on the same page as the coaching staff. It looks like Phelps is trying to slow things down after all as I thought would happen.

I was actually pretty sick when both of these games were going on so I might not have been paying super close attention but I feel a little more confident about these two games. We'll see how it unfolds though.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Two of Iowas best players still aren't quite ready...

After watching that Drake game and talking to some people close to the program, I'm not really sure what Phelps is trying to do with those guys...

kg-cyclone

Oct 30, 2006
Iowa is in the same boat we were last year....so thin, everybody needs to show up to have a chance...They get a ball screen and if the ball handler doesn't get around the hedge...They basically start over, hence the "standing around" comments.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
True, Kelly and Cole didn't play much, and I was really impressed with those guys. Kelly should be good to go by then but Cole is still nursing that ACL from last year.

Honestly the only thing I don't get with Drake is the Josh Parker thing... I mean it just blows my mind.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think Iowa has a solid foundation laid, but their lack of a go to guy is going to hurt them. Drake is in trouble.

troyrew

Apr 19, 2006
Las Vegas
Iowa has a lot of guys but I am not sure where they all fit in.

I would start

Davis
Kelly
Gatens
Fuller
Tate

Davis is more solid with the ball and is a better quicker athlete than tucker or petersen.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
After watching the squawks aka iowa and the bullfrogs aka bulldogs play er founder and flounder trying to play basketball the conclusion: NEITHER TEAM IS VERY GOOD!!!

Wrack up 2 wins for the clones:yes::smile:

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Kelly should be back to 100% soon and IMO, he's Iowa's #1 playmaker. One of the few Hawkeyes who can actually make something happen by himself. Cole is obviously no where near 100%, hopefully he is back by the ISU game.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I actually think Iowa should be a lot better this year. Drake and UNI should have huge drop offs.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Drake played better yesterday but it was against Morehead State, and they started out of the gates like molasses.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Iowa, just like last year, has an inconsistent offense. they play good defense, but they dont have any one guy who i fear. meanwhile we have CB and DG who can take a game over... to go with our plethora of shooters.

as for cole not being 100%, dont forget that the cyclones have a guy who goes by the name of Lucca that isnt exactly 100% either... he showed he is on his way there vs UW-Milwaukee. he is a bigger game changer than cole

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Iowa, just like last year, has an inconsistent offense. they play good defense, but they dont have any one guy who i fear. meanwhile we have CB and DG who can take a game over... to go with our plethora of shooters.

as for cole not being 100%, dont forget that the cyclones have a guy who goes by the name of Lucca that isnt exactly 100% either... he showed he is on his way there vs UW-Milwaukee. he is a bigger game changer than cole

He is a bigger game changer than Cole? Based on two games?

No.

Kelly and Cole got 20+ minutes in tonight, and Tucker, Gatens, and Tate are all averaging in double figures. Right now, Iowa is averaging only 13 turnovers per game, with a season low 5 coming at The Citadel.

And, that "inconsistent offense" is averaging 70.5 points per game through the first 3 games.

I know, hardly anything to fear thus far, but Iowa is a vastly improved team over last year. But the lack of depth and the youth, just like ISU last year, will be hard to overcome at times.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa

No.

Kelly and Cole got 20+ minutes in tonight, and Tucker, Gatens, and Tate are all averaging in double figures. Right now, Iowa is averaging only 13 turnovers per game, with a season low 5 coming at The Citadel.

And, that "inconsistent offense" is averaging 70.5 points per game through the first 3 games.

I know, hardly anything to fear thus far, but Iowa is a vastly improved team over last year. But the lack of depth and the youth, just like ISU last year, will be hard to overcome at times.

Im not gonna argue with what you are saying, ISU has avg. 11 TO a game. But who is gonna bring the ball up and run the plays? Iowa does have a decent front court, but the backcourt will struggle for a while. And guards win college basketball.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI

No.

dude... jarryd cole is what a 6'8" big guy who you have seen 1/2 a season from against mainly cupcakes in which he averaged less that 10 points a game. Lucca Staiger played for the german U-21 team and averaged around 15 a game and he is one of the best shooters in the big 12

dont tell me cole is a bigger impact player than staiger cuz that is all ********

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
Actually, Cole scares me a bit. He was really just starting to come on strong when he got hurt last year. If he comes close to picking up where he left off, I'm afriad he's going out-muscle our bigs - not a good match-up for us. But then again, he'll have troubles coming out away from the basket to defend our bigs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron