Iowa Beers Release/Distribution Thread

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Blackstack Local 755 might be my favorite beer and I think that one is closer to 15/4 pack. Like other breweries I don't touch the TIPA or most of the DIPA.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
For anyone in Eastern IA, the North Liberty Hyvee is awesome. The only Hyvee I've seen close is Edgewood Rd in CR. They have all of the Pequod stuff plus 450 North, RAR, Lua, Marto, Funk Factory, etc. Even scored a Rebel single-barrel barrel-proof store pick for 40.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Blackstack Local 755 might be my favorite beer and I think that one is closer to 15/4 pack. Like other breweries I don't touch the TIPA or most of the DIPA.
Yeah the 755 is decently reasonable and good. I like Blackstacks beer but I agree it's expensive and I rarely ever buy it. I do like going to their taproom though. But I can usually find a good local IPA for $12-14 for a four pack and it's not worth the extra $ for Blackstack Imo. But they're very popular.

I almost never buy IPAs from out of state breweries unless their neighboring states because they're usually expensive and a little older so not as good. I'd rather get cheaper and better local beers

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA

I'm the opposite. It's pretty rare that I see a TIPA and don't love it. In fact, one of the best out there (non-Iowa) is probably the TIPA Local 755, it's outstanding and I think there's still some left in my local bottle shop.

I enjoy most of the BlackStack beers, but unless I can get a single anymore I try to stick to the Iowa breweries. My beer fridge is just too full right now!

Dimensional, Lua, and Adventurous are elite at the IPA scene and it's rare I pick one up from any of them that I don't love. These breweries also do stouts and fruited sours extremely well, but I'm a sucker for a big hazy.

Big Grove Big Ed is in shops right now and it's also a personal favorite.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Yeah the 755 is decently reasonable and good. I like Blackstacks beer but I agree it's expensive and I rarely ever buy it. I do like going to their taproom though. But I can usually find a good local IPA for $12-14 for a four pack and it's not worth the extra $ for Blackstack Imo. But they're very popular.

I almost never buy IPAs from out of state breweries unless their neighboring states because they're usually expensive and a little older so not as good. I'd rather get cheaper and better local beers
I'd be interested in some MN recs. I stick to Blackstack, Modist, Fair State because it's what I'm familiar with.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I'm the opposite. It's pretty rare that I see a TIPA and don't love it. In fact, one of the best out there (non-Iowa) is probably the TIPA Local 755, it's outstanding and I think there's still some left in my local bottle shop.

I enjoy most of the BlackStack beers, but unless I can get a single anymore I try to stick to the Iowa breweries. My beer fridge is just too full right now!

Dimensional, Lua, and Adventurous are elite at the IPA scene and it's rare I pick one up from any of them that I don't love. These breweries also do stouts and fruited sours extremely well, but I'm a sucker for a big hazy.

Big Grove Big Ed is in shops right now and it's also a personal favorite.
Haha to each their own! I did like Big Ed more than Royal Eddy and some of the Adventurous rolling 7's are really good. Its all about sweetness for big IPAs to me. Too much malt and I will hate it, guaranteed. Plus I don't need to be half drunk off of one beer

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Haha to each their own! I did like Big Ed more than Royal Eddy and some of the Adventurous rolling 7's are really good. Its all about sweetness for big IPAs to me. Too much malt and I will hate it, guaranteed. Plus I don't need to be half drunk off of one beer

Rolling 7s is ELITE and there's still some out there, you might find some. One that's turned into a recurring release is their 52722 which is also great.

Adventurous just put out a new EasyPeel with Eclipse hops that I will definitely be picking up, that series has not disappointed in any variation.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
A lot of the tipa’s are too sweet for me but here’s a few I’ve enjoyed recently.

Iowa Brewing-Spicoli
Lagunitas-The Waldos’ Special Ale
ReUnion-All Gas No Brakes
Lua-Ego Death
TG-Arcade Crusher
Zipline-Triples Is Best

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
A lot of the tipa’s are too sweet for me but here’s a few I’ve enjoyed recently.

Iowa Brewing-Spicoli
Lagunitas-The Waldos’ Special Ale
ReUnion-All Gas No Brakes
Lua-Ego Death
TG-Arcade Crusher
Zipline-Triples Is Best

I think it's sold out now, but Barn Town had Super Extra Fantastic recently and it was outstanding.

Lua Ego Death, great of course.

1683745149315.png

Reactions: DFWClone

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I think it's sold out now, but Barn Town had Super Extra Fantastic recently and it was outstanding.

Lua Ego Death, great of course.

View attachment 112926
I had that a while back at The Handle Bar in Dallas Center. I was pretty shocked because they had it on tap for $1. It was decent but I think a little on the sweet side.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I really like IPAs and don't mine double and even triple IPAs but some are way to strong alcohol flavor. I bought a six pack of Des Moines Double IPA and it was way to strong of an alcohol flavor, but the Royal Eddy that has almost the same ABV tastes way smoother.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
In terms of general Iowa distribution, I think it's just those three plus Surly.
Just seeing what you like in this thread if you're ever in the cities I'd recommend Barrel Theory and Falling Knife and then go to a liquor store and find Elm Creek, Lupulin, Portage and Junkyard beers as none of them are in the Cities. Outside of the ones already mentioned

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
I tend to prefer the darker beers, but recently tried What A Cutie from Pulpit Rock. Completely blown away. Wish I lived closer to Decorah.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I really like IPAs and don't mine double and even triple IPAs but some are way to strong alcohol flavor. I bought a six pack of Des Moines Double IPA and it was way to strong of an alcohol flavor, but the Royal Eddy that has almost the same ABV tastes way smoother.
I’m the opposite, I like’em boozy. 8-12% range for IPA’s and 12-18% for a stout is great. Hopslam is one that comes to mind with a nice boozy finish.

Reactions: BACyclone

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I tend to prefer the darker beers, but recently tried What A Cutie from Pulpit Rock. Completely blown away. Wish I lived closer to Decorah.
Pulpit makes great stuff. I heard Cyclone Liquor in Ames has been getting some lately.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron