Iowa Boys HS State Basketball

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Bound is what the state uses for its official stats.

DCG is 7-4 against 4A schools, including the game today.

CR Kennedy is 19-0 against 4A schools, including today's game.

DCG plays in a conference with 3-4A schools (Indianola, Norwalk, and Indianola), 3-3A schools, and a 2A school. They are guaranteed eight games against lower-level competition—the three 4A schools in the Little Hawkeye rank 41st, 46th, and 48th out of 48.

CR Kennedy plays in a conference with one 3A school (Western Dubuque); the rest are 4A. They are guaranteed two conference games against lower-level competition.
I really don’t get your point. DCG and kennedey have roughly comparable SOS. DCG scheduled Ames, Johnston, Ankeny, and waukee NW out of conference.

DCG is the smallest 4a school with beds of 750 and kennedy is 1300. You really think DCG is dodging everybody not being in the CIML yet? Most the CIML has nearly double their enrollment.

cyspy

Jul 24, 2011
For many, many, many years … my mom loved watching the girls’ state tourney on TV every March, as far back as the 70s for sure.
Jim Zabel and Frosty Mitchell did the girls games. Frosty did the boys games along with an announcer from Wisconsin Mark Zelich. Zelich is in the Wisconsin broadcasting hall of fame.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I really don’t get your point. DCG and kennedey have roughly comparable SOS. DCG scheduled Ames, Johnston, Ankeny, and waukee NW out of conference.

DCG is the smallest 4a school with beds of 750 and kennedy is 1300. You really think DCG is dodging everybody not being in the CIML yet? Most the CIML has nearly double their enrollment.

Yeah this is really weird hill to die on for him.

• Dumb
Reactions: Three4Cy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'd say what likely cost DCG is the # of 3A schools they played in conference drug their SOS to the middle when some of those 3A were actually better then a lot of 4As causing them to get an 8 seed at 20-3.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Bound is what the state uses for its official stats.

DCG is 7-4 against 4A schools, including the game today.

CR Kennedy is 19-0 against 4A schools, including today's game.

DCG plays in a conference with 3-4A schools (Indianola, Norwalk, and Indianola), 3-3A schools, and a 2A school. They are guaranteed eight games against lower-level competition—the three 4A schools in the Little Hawkeye rank 41st, 46th, and 48th out of 48.

CR Kennedy plays in a conference with one 3A school (Western Dubuque); the rest are 4A. They are guaranteed two conference games against lower-level competition.
I believe Wahlert and Xavier are also in MVC

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Correct. No recruiting from France, Mali, Mexico...(Looking at you Grandview Christian.) All those kids at North Linn grew up there and have played sports with one another since the 3rd grade. Northern Linn County. Walker, Troy Mills and Coggon. About 35 minutes North of Cedar Rapids.
When did the Hilmers show up? I know old man coached his kid at Forest city and then left for WACO after that.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
When did the Hilmers show up? I know old man coached his kid at Forest city and then left for WACO after that.

Been there since 1999 I believe. His Dad retired a few years back. The were co-head coaches until Bob retired.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

I believe Wahlert and Xavier are also in MVC
They are in the Mississippi division, Kennedy is in the Valley division.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

Where did I ever say DCG was "dodging" the CIML, you pulled that one out of thin air.

DCG played over 13 games against 3A schools or smaller, it makes a difference when you get to the state tourney and play against a team that has played 80% of their games against teams in the same class, including three that made it to state.

There is a reason DCG was 8th seed with a 20-3 record. They've played down a majority of their games.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Been there since 1999 I believe. His Dad retired a few years back. The were co-head coaches until Bob retired.
From what I've heard, it was "co-head coaches" in title only so Bob could inflate his wins record. Not totally sure of the validity of it but from when I watched them at the state tournament, the son usually was the doing all the coaching so I could see it having some merit

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Did Mike coach on his own for awhile? It says bob didn’t show up until 2015. (And I think calling him co-HC so he could rack up wins for the record is crap)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
From what I've heard, it was "co-head coaches" in title only so Bob could inflate his wins record. Not totally sure of the validity of it but from when I watched them at the state tournament, the son usually was the doing all the coaching so I could see it having some merit
Yeah, if Mike was the HC from 1999 and his dad shows up 16 years later and is co-HC, your statement is pretty obvious. Forest city people even said that was what was going on.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Did Mike coach on his own for awhile? It says bob didn’t show up until 2015. (And I think calling him co-HC so he could rack up wins for the record is crap)
I'm not sure when Mike started coaching. He started teaching in 1999. But I'm not sure if he was coaching the team yet. I never understood the whole co head coaches thing. And how both Bob and Mike got credit for a win for one game. Mike has certainly learned a lot from his Dad. Just like Mike's sons Jake and Austin learned from their Dad. They weren't breaking any rules. So to change that, that would have to come from the Ihsaa.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'm not sure when Mike started coaching. He started teaching in 1999. But I'm not sure if he was coaching the team yet. I never understood the whole co head coaches thing. And how both Bob and Mike got credit for a win for one game. Mike has certainly learned a lot from his Dad. Just like Mike's sons Jake and Austin learned from their Dad. They weren't breaking any rules. So to change that, that would have to come from the Ihsaa.

He's been coaching there since '99.

Reactions: CySmurf

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron