Iowa Football: The Fake ID of College Football

IfYouKnowYouKnow

Jan 24, 2017
Scathing stuff right there. The teams he compared schedules with Iowa are all blue blood programs or in the rich recruiting grounds down south. Iowa simply doesn't have those quality of players or program. Like ISU, they're in a tough to recruit to, low population state. Therefore, they need to pad the schedule heavily to create the illusion of success. Fu6k the UI and their pretend football.
According to Ross Piersbacher, an elite recruit, the reason he bolted to Bama is he wanted to play in big games.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
UNI gets about $600,000 to play Iowa State at Ames. A school like Ball State would get about $900,000 or $1 million to play in Ames and not get a return game in exchange.

IMO, Iowa State should forget the home and home series with teams like Tulsa. Do like other bigger schools and get guaranteed 7 games at home every year. Pay the money and buy a home game.

Iowa and Iowa State each play 10 P5 Conference games each season. No question that the Western Conference of the Big 10 is very weak.

Iowa is no longer allowed to play FCS teams. And they must play at least 1 P5 non-conference opponent. There is no rule that Iowa can not play more than 1 non-conference P5 opponent. And if Iowa State was dropped, it would be very likely that Iowa would schedule a weak P5 opponent.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
What Iowa needs to do is get a decent non-con every other year, that way you only need to leave the State 1 out of 4 years. Teams like VA Tech and South Carolina come to mind.
With the way the new Big 10 is set up, and how it's watered down the strength of schedule, they've got to address that a little bit on the non-con side, and they aren't. They won't leave the State anymore for any non-con game, period. If I'm an Iowa fan, home games are nice but c'mon.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How many P5 teams, other than Iowa, has ISU played OOC the last 20 years?

I honestly dont know...FSU is the one that immediately comes to mind.
UConn and Utah came to mind for me. UConn was in the Big East then, and I wouldn't call it a good league, the top half was decently good and they just came off a Fiesta Bowl appearance.
Utah had a damn good team.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
What Iowa needs to do is get a decent non-con every other year, that way you only need to leave the State 1 out of 4 years. Teams like VA Tech and South Carolina come to mind.
With the way the new Big 10 is set up, and how it's watered down the strength of schedule, they've got to address that a little bit on the non-con side, and they aren't. They won't leave the State anymore for any non-con game, period. If I'm an Iowa fan, home games are nice but c'mon.

Iowa can schedule those teams now. What is stopping them? Good grief, they are scheduling Wyoming and North Texas this year. WTF?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Iowa can schedule those teams now. What is stopping them? Good grief, they are scheduling Wyoming and North Texas this year. WTF?

What is different about Iowa's schedule than just about any other P5's schedule? Iowa plays one home and home against another P5 school every year and tries to schedule two rent a wins. Just about every P5 does school does this.

I find it funny that fans of a school are picking on Iowa's OOC schedule when their's is even worse year in and year out.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They don't want to leave the State of Iowa for whatever reason.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Hold on. So the fans of a team who haven't schedule a non conference game vs another P5 teams beside Iowa since 2002 is making fun of someone's schedule?

It's actually a national talk show host that is making fun of Iowa. We're just having fun agreeing with him.

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Hold on. So the fans of a team who haven't schedule a non conference game vs another P5 teams beside Iowa since 2002 is making fun of someone's schedule?

ISU's overall schedule every year is definitely tougher. With a minimum of 10 P5 teams on the Cyclone schedule annually, Hoks have no room to thump their chests. Throw in the weakness of the BIG 10 West and it's quite laughable.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnWay187

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The Power 5 only has come into play within the last 5 years. A Big East time like WV was at the time, or Louisville could have played for a National Championship.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
UConn and Utah came to mind for me. UConn was in the Big East then, and I wouldn't call it a good league, the top half was decently good and they just came off a Fiesta Bowl appearance.
Utah had a damn good team.

Wasnt UCONN just transitioning to FBS when they beat ISU back in 2002?

And Utah was in the MWC back in 2010 when they rolled ISU.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Every team should play 6 home and 6 away games. 9 conference, 3 noncon. Of the 3 noncon, 1 cupcake allowed. The other 11 games should be P5

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They want a guaranteed 7th home game. You won't always have that with a home and home series against another P5 team if they keep the ISU game every year.

Why does Iowa need a 7th home game? Oregon didn't last year.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
The Power 5 only has come into play within the last 5 years. A Big East time like WV was at the time, or Louisville could have played for a National Championship.

Comparing that Uconn team to WVU and Louisville. And they weren't a P5 school, my point still stands. At least you didn't try to say Utah was a P5 school.

giphy_s.gif

• Disagree
  • Dislike
Reactions: JP4CY and Rural

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Why does Iowa need a 7th home game? Oregon didn't last year.

They Need the 7th home game to pad their record. Nevermind that the Big 10 west is horrible. Apparently KF wants the insurance to keep duping millions out of the Iowa taxpayers.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
They want a guaranteed 7th home game. You won't always have that with a home and home series against another P5 team if they keep the ISU game every year.

I'm emailing Cowherd to let him know Iowa wants 7 guaranteed home games. I'm sure that will change his entire narrative and apologies to hok fans should be forthcoming.