Iowa High School BEDS count 24-25

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
This is a year that football does not re-district, but all other sports will see classifications bounce around a little. Most male sports use top 48, next 64, next 80, remaining schools for 4A, 3A, 2A, and 1A respectively.

The only 4A change I see will be Lewis central moving back into the top 48 (4A for most sports) and Clinton sliding out.

For the 3A cutline, Chariton and Davis County slide down to 2A next year while Centerville and DSM Christian move up.

The 2A/1A cut line is usually 80 more schools or #192 but without all the sharing agreements known for the various sports and the likelihood of several crossing back and forth, I'm not delving into it.

Girls do something different by having 5A for basketball and volleyball, so different cut lines.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: brett108

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It’s amazing to me that North Polk is so low. Polk City seems to growing leaps and bounds every couple of years when I have a chance to roll through there. Do some of their new developments go to Ankeny or Johnston?

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Wow - I went to Ogden which is 197th on the list to my kids going to Waukee which is top 10. It would be really interesting to see a historical line chart for a selected school to see how enrollment has changed over time.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Out of interest, I did a quick search of the ole Google machine. The below site is interesting to look at and shows historical enrollment data in a graph form...

• Informative
Reactions: throwittoblythe

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Out of interest, I did a quick search of the ole Google machine. The below site is interesting to look at and shows historical enrollment data in a graph form...

Looks like a tough dating scene at Ogden lol. 59/41 split males to females.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Looks like a tough dating scene at Ogden lol. 59/41 split males to females.
Yeah, I was lucky back in the day:). But it also meant there were times I would break up with a girl and start going out with her twin sister, lol because there weren't a lot of options.

Fun fact: There were 5 Jeremy's in my grade of 40 students (roughly 50/50 mix of male/female then).

It's still wild to think that "back in our days" not only was it wildly different in that you could ride your bike anywhere and everywhere without parents worrying, but you knew and had the same 35-40 kids in your class for basically your entire school tenure.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Wow - I went to Ogden which is 197th on the list to my kids going to Waukee which is top 10. It would be really interesting to see a historical line chart for a selected school to see how enrollment has changed over time.
135th (Clarinda) for me to #1 (WDM Valley) for my kids. Although when I was at Clarinda it would have had enough to be in the low 100's.

Reactions: Jer

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
CR Wash continues a slow death by geographic constraint. Meanwhile, Linnmar kids are driving nearly 10 miles to school when Wash is less than half the distance away.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Going to be interesting in 4 years when the two Waterloo high schools merge. If that merger happened this year they'd only be 30ish kids behind Valley for school size. Lots of people around here seem to think that'll be a solution to all of their athletic woes but in my opinion shoving another 1000 kids into the building won't fix the socioeconomic problems a lot of the urban schools have. They'll end up being a little bigger than DSM Lincoln and last I looked Lincoln isn't exactly an athletics powerhouse.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts

Ogden is an interesting town. Back when I knew it, it had tons of civic pride, a roller skating rink, an indoor pool. The good (or Goode) old boys that set up the public library with a sizable share of Ogden’s telephone company stock did a lot of good for that town.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Ogden is an interesting town. Back when I knew it, it had tons of civic pride, a roller skating rink, an indoor pool. The good (or Goode) old boys that set up the public library with a sizable share of Ogden’s telephone company stock did a lot of good for that town.
Yeah, while it had the downfalls of being a small town (basically always 2,000 population), it probably had more benefits than 90% of towns it's size or even slightly bigger. Fun Days festival, big Homecoming, football and wrestling were very competitive and popular, etc.

I grew up in the 90s there and every day in the summer was at the indoor pool at the high school or riding dozens of miles on my bike. Year around every Friday and Saturday night was at the skating rink. I probably put on a couple thousand miles on my bike in my youth, compared to today where my kids have maybe gone a mile total and only another 5-6 miles on their electric scooters. I could cover every corner of town while my kids are allowed to go a block (8 year old) or maybe 3/4 mile (13 year old).

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
Wow. Clinton enrollment down 400 since I went there forever ago. Not surprised though it’s a complete dump of a town.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My HS only had 31 in my graduating class. Now they have 36 in the whole high school.

My daughter's school in KS has 1375. It's the smallest 6A school in the state.

• Informative

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
It’s amazing to me that North Polk is so low. Polk City seems to growing leaps and bounds every couple of years when I have a chance to roll through there. Do some of their new developments go to Ankeny or Johnston?
Anything south and east of Saylorville Lake is Ankeny enrollment. Any home within Polk City is North Polk Schools. When the new homes are built east of the Polk City cemetery, those will be Ankeny CSD. Rural homes SE of the lake and wildlife refuge may have a Polk City address but are within Ankeny boundaries.

Conversely, anything north of 54th Street on the NE edge of Ankeny is North Polk enrollment. Basically, anything that falls to the north of halfway between Exit 94 and Exit 96. NP receives far more from that section of town than Ankeny receives from Polk City.

Also, NP was 2A less than 10 years ago. Just 7 years ago, they were #99 with 328 for the BEDS count and are up to #65 at 487, so they are rising rapidly. The growth is still bubbling up through the elementary grades. Gilbert was on a very similar trajectory a decade ago

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

SE Polk conceded a lot of it's area to Ankeny. The far east end of Polk City is Ankeny Schools.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Remember that BEDS only has enrollment numbers for grades 9-11. If you really want to look at trends and total district enrollment--which often allows one to more easily speculate about future HS enrollment, you can look at the certified enrollment figures published by the DoE.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Going to be interesting in 4 years when the two Waterloo high schools merge. If that merger happened this year they'd only be 30ish kids behind Valley for school size. Lots of people around here seem to think that'll be a solution to all of their athletic woes but in my opinion shoving another 1000 kids into the building won't fix the socioeconomic problems a lot of the urban schools have. They'll end up being a little bigger than DSM Lincoln and last I looked Lincoln isn't exactly an athletics powerhouse.

Its worth a shot as an experiment.

CR basically has Kennedy for the folks with money, Wash for the very rich that forgot to move and very poor AA kids, and Jeff for the kids no one cares about at all (lower middle class, working poor, 1st gen minority immigrants, etc).

Having my daughter graduate from Kennedy and seeing gf daughter's experience now graduating from Jeff... its shocking the difference in resources available and expectations of the kids. Jeff has a ton of "yeah whatever" and Kennedy was like "is there anything else we can do for you".

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Is that happening?

In most sports getting into the conference with the DMPS schools ought to help East a great deal. And I thought West was offered a spot in the conference and declined.

If it's about West people thinking they can consistently compete with the CIML teams in most sports for state titles, that's a big stretch.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Is that happening?

In most sports getting into the conference with the DMPS schools ought to help East a great deal. And I thought West was offered a spot in the conference and declined.

If it's about West people thinking they can consistently compete with the CIML teams in most sports for state titles, that's a big stretch.

It’s wild to me that any school would make such a large decision based on athletics in High School lol.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron