Iowa High School State Wrestling Tournament

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
Brackets are out for the individual state tournament coming up this Thursday.

Trackwrestling page can be found here

2022 Signees:
Carter Fousek 2A 138 18-1
Fernando Villaescusa 2A 182 35-1
Christian Stanek 3A 160 33-4

2023 Commits:
Tate Naaktgeboren 3A 170 36-2

If I missed anyone, please let me know and I'll add them.

Session Info
Thursday, February 17

Session 1 | Class 2A, First Round | 9:00 a.m.
Session 2 | Class 3A, First Round | 1:30 p.m.
Session 3 | Class 1A, First Round | 6:00 p.m.

Friday, February 18
Session 4 | Class 2A & 3A, Quarterfinals | 9:00 a.m.
Session 5 | Class 1A, Quarterfinals & Class 2A, Semifinals | 2:30 p.m.
Session 6 | Class 3A & 1A, Semifinals | 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, February 19
Session 7 | All Classes, Consolation Semifinals & Finals | 10:00 a.m.
Session 8 | All Classes, Finals | 6:00 p.m.

Complete 2022 Schedule

Last edited:

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Christian Stanek at 3A 160 from Xavier is a 2022 signee.

2A 132 is loaded. Robbins has gone 2nd/1st, Frazier 2nd/4th/2nd, Ridout 3rd/2nd, and Kittelson was 2nd last year. 5 prior finals appearances in one state bracket is pretty awesome.
Probably overlooking some other guys, too.

Reactions: TexCyted

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
Christian Stanek at 3A 160 from Xavier is a 2022 signee.

2A 132 is loaded. Robbins has gone 2nd/1st, Frazier 2nd/4th/2nd, Ridout 3rd/2nd, and Kittelson was 2nd last year. 5 prior finals appearances in one state bracket is pretty awesome.
Probably overlooking some other guys, too.
That class is brutal. The Burnette kid is really good too, watched him this summer training with the team. Am surprised he’s not down a class. Must not have felt like cutting his senior year.

Reactions: cyclonenation5

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
That class is brutal. The Burnette kid is really good too, watched him this summer training with the team. Am surprised he’s not down a class. Must not have felt like cutting his senior year.

Burnette kid is a 3x placer! Just an absolutely stacked bracket.

To your point about the seeding, I'm also confused at a few of the weights...

Ryder Block is a 2 seed but I think most people would consider him a slight favorite over the 1 seed Jacob Frost. Maybe Frost's Louisiana title puts him ahead of Block's 2nd place in Iowa last year. Block won a state title two years and lost to Drake Ayala in the finals last year. But then again, if a state title takes precedent over records/wins, then why is Martinson over Riggins?

3A 138 might be debatable, but how is Bradley Hill a 3 seed? 2 vs. 3 doesn't matter too much in the long run, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Hill majored the 2 seed and won state last year at 220.

Overall, most of the seeds are pretty good. The main goal is for the best two guys to be wrestling on Saturday night, and I think they are getting that part right, but some of the criteria seems off to me personally.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Overall, most of the seeds are pretty good. The main goal is for the best two guys to be wrestling on Saturday night, and I think they are getting that part right, but some of the criteria seems off to me personally.
Call me crazy, but I'd take a random stacked semi's session over a seeded finals night. I understand why they started seeding though.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Call me crazy, but I'd take a random stacked semi's session over a seeded finals night. I understand why they started seeding though.

I always loved the loaded semis matchups, along with the random great R16 and QF matchups, so I wasn't overly thrilled with the change, but I have to admit, it makes for a much better Saturday night.

I think there are positives to both, and I'd be fine with keeping this seeding method or going back to the random matchup matrix, but I also don't go to Wells Fargo as often as I used to, so less emphasis on Thursday/Friday and more on Saturday makes it more enjoyable for me personally. Totally see both sides to it, though.

• Agree
Reactions: WhizzerClone

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Seeding is much better than the old system of letters and numbers, but having the Martinson kid who has 4 losses and placed 3rd last year being the top seed over the undefeated, defending champ, and #1 or #2 guy in the country, Riggins, is just dumb.

What is the logic behind this?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
What is the logic behind this?
People were complaint because their possible runner up kid got beat in the semis instead of the finals basically. Also, some paper champs got picked off by lessor opponents because they were concerned about their semi matchup and couldn’t just coast.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Tate has 2 out of state losses this year. Thompson is ranked #2 right now by flo, other kid not rated but an Askren kid. Coaches should be recruiting this kid too if they aren't yet

https://www.gazettextra.com/sports/...cle_9cfbda56-ff22-5663-9cbd-dd6538b12ef1.html

Brayden Thompson (Lockport (Twp.)) over Tate Naaktgeboren (Linn-Mar) (SV-1 3-1)
Aeoden Sinclair (Milton) over Tate Naaktgeboren (Linn-Mar) (Dec 9-4)

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
Tate has 2 out of state losses this year. Thompson is ranked #2 right now by flo, other kid not rated but an Askren kid. Coaches should be recruiting this kid too if they aren't yet

https://www.gazettextra.com/sports/...cle_9cfbda56-ff22-5663-9cbd-dd6538b12ef1.html

Tate did beat Thompson last year at Folkstyle Nationals by a score of 11-8, which I believe might be the only other time they've wrestled

• Informative
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
People were complaint because their possible runner up kid got beat in the semis instead of the finals basically. Also, some paper champs got picked off by lessor opponents because they were concerned about their semi matchup and couldn’t just coast.

You could give Riggins a Pig Tail play in match and it wouldn’t matter, barring injury he will be the state champ

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You could give Riggins a Pig Tail play in match and it wouldn’t matter, barring injury he will be the state champ
I highly believe that, I was not directing my comment towards him. Riggins doesn't really care if he gets second over third I'm guessing, he wants the championship. My comment was aimed at those who thought their kid got hosed out of a non championship placing (like 4th or 5th, even 2nd) due to the random draw of the old style.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
To hard core fans that's awesome, but a lot of champions were decided in the semis in past years. Finals matches became blowouts.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I highly believe that, I was not directing my comment towards him. Riggins doesn't really care if he gets second over third I'm guessing, he wants the championship. My comment was aimed at those who thought their kid got hosed out of a non championship placing (like 4th or 5th, even 2nd) due to the random draw of the old style.

I see what you are saying now, that used to be crazy and a lot of guys likely got beat early that would have been on the podium with seeding

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I see what you are saying now, that used to be crazy and a lot of guys likely got beat early that would have been on the podium with seeding
I can name districts that had 3 of the top 5 wrestlers in them. Only two made it. Why aren't there complaints about seeding those things if we truly want the top 8 people placing. A kid from my son's team got third at state his senior year, the guy could not beat this other kid though. That kid did not make it to state because the two guys who wrestled in the championship were in his freaking sectional. They had 1,2,3 all in the same sectional.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I can name districts that had 3 of the top 5 wrestlers in them. Only two made it. Why aren't there complaints about seeding those things if we truly want the top 8 people placing. A kid from my son's team got third at state his senior year, the guy could not beat this other kid though. That kid did not make it to state because the two guys who wrestled in the championship were in his freaking sectional. They had 1,2,3 all in the same sectional.

It happens and it sucks. I think there should be wild cards that wrestle as a pigtail, have them wrestle the pigtails at the beginning of the opening sessions, 2 kids per weight. Would it take care of all the problems with your scenario? Likely not but it’s better than nothing.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011

Is it just me or does Sinclair look like a young Lincoln McIlravy?
1644959807768.png 1644959834795.png

• Haha
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron