Iowa High School State Wrestling Tournament

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Also would like to see them get Gable Porter for a potential 133 guy. He skipped out on Ed Winger otherwise we would’ve seen him wrestle the Frost boy from Dowling.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Speaking of Euton, here is his match at Ironman with Ferrari. Gave up a junk td off scramble at the end of the 1st and another in the 3rd off his own shot. I would assume Ferrari is hard to wrestle being build like a brick as a high school kid. Great head hands defense but Euton got in on a couple shots.

I had forgot about Euton. he could certainly factor in at 157, but I view him similar to how I view Fousek where they will take a couple years to develop and then be potential lineup pcs by their Junior year. Ultimately, we won't know until they actually get to campus and in the room going with the guys. Then @buf87 and @Tigerguy_ can talk to their sources and start to hint at if they will be the real deal or have a little ways to go :)

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Also would like to see them get Gable Porter for a potential 133 guy. He skipped out on Ed Winger otherwise we would’ve seen him wrestle the Frost boy from Dowling.
I noticed, just looking at what was reported, it looked like Underwood didn’t have a full team at Ed Winger.

At 32:50 here at a tournament in Atlantic is Porter against McKinley Robbins of Greene County, who finished 1st the prior two years in 2A, but was 2nd this year:

The score was fairly close, but Porter seemed dominant. In the post-meet interview (in a different video, not this one) he said they’ve wrestled since they were little. That was the fourth defending state champion he defeated this season, with the others from Nebraska, South Dakota, and Kansas.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
Speaking of Euton, here is his match at Ironman with Ferrari. Gave up a junk td off scramble at the end of the 1st and another in the 3rd off his own shot. I would assume Ferrari is hard to wrestle being build like a brick as a high school kid. Great head hands defense but Euton got in on a couple shots.

Euton is tough physically and mentally. And Dresser likes tough guys. You can teach technique, you can’t teach hating to get beat.

Reactions: stuclone

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
There’s guys that like winning then there are guys that HATE losing.
Motivating guys based on hate is an outdated Brands mindset.

Fun, gratitude, and enjoying the process are better at getting peak performance. Hopefully Dresser is not stuck in the wrestling of the 90s.

• Agree
Reactions: DantheFan

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Motivating guys based on hate is an outdated Brands mindset.

Fun, gratitude, and enjoying the process are better at getting peak performance. Hopefully Dresser is not stuck in the wrestling of the 90s.
Who said anything about coaches? Some guys like winning, others hate losing that’s a personal mindset on how they want to go about it.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
How was that Fox kid from Osage. Jr I believe
Junior, 3 time finalist. Only losses this year to Riggins, Glazier from MN at 170, and Barkema which he avenged twice. Cadet Fargo 3rd in freestyle, 2nd Greco.
Very solid

Reactions: cyputz

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Who said anything about coaches? Some guys like winning, others hate losing that’s a personal mindset on how they want to go about it.
Umm Tiger specifically mentioned Dresser.

Im staying away from recruits whose primary motivator is hatred of losing.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Point is they should try to be more like him if they want to win.
I think it’s a little of both. Cael of all people hates to lose. As does Gable and the Bull. Not everyone is the same and it’s not a one size fits all. Bastida doesn’t like to lose and I’m sure Carr hates losing. There is also the side of not being defined by their losses and putting an emphasis in effort and attitude. Bono and Reader are big on that as well.

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
You can still be a nice guy and wrestle hard and absolutely hate to lose more than you like winning. Both things can be true.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU22CY

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
You can still be a nice guy and wrestle hard and absolutely hate to lose more than you like winning. Both things can be true.
Who said they can’t? The problem is that mindset doesn’t lead to peak performance. Of course all wrestlers hate to lose, the problem is when that is the main motivator.

When that is your primary motivation it leads to wrestling tight in big moments. See Iowa over the last decade.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Who said they can’t? The problem is that mindset doesn’t lead to peak performance. Of course all wrestlers hate to lose, the problem is when that is the main motivator.

When that is your primary motivation it leads to wrestling tight in big moments. See Iowa over the last decade.
Lucky that Dresser does a good job of making a fun atmosphere for the guys. One of the main things that sticks out about Dresser is that he creates an entertaining environment for the athletes and the fans.