Iowa High School State Wrestling Tournament

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
One kid we are overlooking is Dylan Whitt. He took second last year to Hunter Garvin and 3rd this year after getting beat 3-1 in the semis by Martinson in which Martinson did absolutely nothing in the match. He is extremely slick and fast, can get a lot stronger.
He is also better than Christian Stanek who we are taking.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Did not think Muller had a chance to win state. Saw him get handled in conference
Agreed, but to be fair his opponent at conference was a very good Matthew Francis. Francis had, up until the state tournament pinned or majored everyone other than Barrett. 40+ pins, two majors.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Agreed, but to be fair his opponent at conference was a very good Matthew Francis. Francis had, up until the state tournament pinned or majored everyone other than Barrett. 40+ pins, two majors.
I looked and I think that is where competition can make a huge difference. The state champ in 1A wrestled many large schools. While Francis is definitely a good wrestler, but it seemed he wrestled a lot of the sister of the poor. Osage would be the only powerhouse that I saw. South central cal has had some solid ones through the years but not what I would say is a one that pumps them out. The 220 class in NC Iowa has seemed to be a weaker weight overall for the last few years.

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
Villaescusa was probably the best 182 pounder last year and got third. This year was likely third best behind Walrath and a surprisingly tough Reinicke.
He definitely should have been wrestling Saturday night last year too, but good old iowa high school officiating decided against that

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
So who are the top uncommitted Juniors and Seniors?
Walrath, Hagarty, Freeman, ???

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
So who are the top uncommitted Juniors and Seniors?
Walrath, Hagarty, Freeman, ???
Ryder Downey, Kade Blume 2a 113, Kale Petersen 2a 120, Blaine Fraizer 2a 132, Nick Fox Osage, Brandon Paez Lisbon, Gable Porter Underwood, Max Magayna 1a 160

Reactions: buf87

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Also was the brother of Tate Entriken from Hudson at Iowa State a couple years ago.
Tate won the 1a 182 bracket. He is a sr not sure where he is wrestling in college. Taylan wrestled at ISU not sure what happened to him? I saw him walking around at state one of the rounds

Reactions: buf87

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
That’s right, Jr he won it in the finals against a tough kid who pinned him at sectionals

He and the Barkema kid from H-D had a nice go the last 3 weeks. Fox's year is a little tough to gauge because he split it between 160 and 170. He was a smallish 170 but he handled himself ok. He didn't blow the doors off guys (well, obviously he did to some), but he's a good solid wrestler. I haven't heard who, if anybody, is in on him.

I'll be interested to watch his younger brother starting next year. That kid has been an absolute hammer going back to pee-wee age.

Also, hats off to Burlington ND. I'm pretty northcentral/northeast Iowa centric so they were completely off my radar but it's cool to see some new blood in the mix. Is Bill Plein the head coach there? I'd lost track of him after Columbus Junction, but that guy is one of the better under the radar high school coaches in this state in recent memory. He just churns out winners.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Didn't UNI get in on him really early? I agree though. He's a good, athletic hwt that has some upside, and he seems like a really good kid.
Buss flew under radar state wise because as a freshman, the state championship happened in his sectional. He got third there but the top two guys were there. I believe one may have been mark Farleys nephew (not positive but thinking he was one) and maybe info got back. There are also a couple clubs that kids from that area practice at, at least were and one was the panther wrestling club.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Buss flew under radar state wise because as a freshman, the state championship happened in his sectional. He got third there but the top two guys were there. I believe one may have been mark Farleys nephew (not positive but thinking he was one) and maybe info got back. There are also a couple clubs that kids from that area practice at, at least were and one was the panther wrestling club.

I had forgotten about that, but you're correct. That was Farley's nephew at D-T