Iowa High School State Wrestling Tournament

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Buss flew under radar state wise because as a freshman, the state championship happened in his sectional. He got third there but the top two guys were there. I believe one may have been mark Farleys nephew (not positive but thinking he was one) and maybe info got back. There are also a couple clubs that kids from that area practice at, at least were and one was the panther wrestling club.

I wish they talked more about his career on Saturday night. They said he was a 3x HWT champ, first since Austin Blythe, but I didn't realize he was 44-2 as a freshman at HWT. 2 losses in 4 years at heavyweight is unbelievable to me.

JD4560

Nov 12, 2015
Buss flew under radar state wise because as a freshman, the state championship happened in his sectional. He got third there but the top two guys were there. I believe one may have been mark Farleys nephew (not positive but thinking he was one) and maybe info got back. There are also a couple clubs that kids from that area practice at, at least were and one was the panther wrestling club.
Chet is a really good kid. Hope he does well in college. As far as his freshman year he got caught when he was up on Farley. Farley and Denver proceeded to flop on purpose in the next round and got pinned. After the match gets up and waives goodbye at the North Butler - Clarksville crowd. No wrestle back for Chet and that's how it ends. Lost a lot of respect for Denver after that.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Chet is a really good kid. Hope he does well in college. As far as his freshman year he got caught when he was up on Farley. Farley and Denver proceeded to flop on purpose in the next round and got pinned. After the match gets up and waives goodbye at the North Butler - Clarksville crowd. No wrestle back for Chet and that's how it ends. Lost a lot of respect for Denver after that.

The Farley kid was a piece of garbage

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thanks for the info, I just knew that he had a tough one but wasn't sure what happened. My son and I had our run ins with the Farleys but not in wrestling. My oldest was on a duals team with Krueger as one of the coaches so I definitely know what you are talking about there also.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Naak was definitely one of the most fun kids to watch wrestle last weekend. He is always looking for his offense, and looks like he is a hammer on top, which you can't say about some of the top high school kids. If he can grow this next year, I wouldn't be surprised if he wrestles as a true freshman for David's senior year. This lineup could be a fun little murderers row:

165: Carr (Rs Sr)
174: Rojas (Rs Fr)
184: Naak (Fr)
197: Bastida (Jr)
Hwt: Schon (Rs Fr)

Last edited:

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Naak was definitely one of the most fun kids to watch wrestle last weekend. He is always looking for his offense, and looks like he is a hammer on top, which you can't say about some of the top high school kids. If he can grow this next year, I wouldn't be surprised if he wrestles as a true freshman for David's senior year. This lineup could be a fun little murderers row:

165: Carr (Rs Sr)
174: Rojas (Rs Fr)
184: Nakk (Fr)
197: Bastida (Jr)
Hwt: Schon (Rs Fr)
I was told that was the plan when he was being recruited. Things can change, but he was told he’d go right away at 184

Reactions: stuclone

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I was told that was the plan when he was being recruited. Things can change, but he was told he’d go right away at 184

I think we have the potential to be in trophy contention David's senior year with a couple of transfers at need weights:

125: Terukina
133: Need a transfer or impact recruit
141: Swiderski/Redding
149: Paniro Johnson/Swiderski/Redding
157: Robinson/Transfer
165: Carr
174: Rojas
184: Naak
197: Bastida
Hwt: Schon

Obviously need Kysen, Redding, Cam to keep improving. I have heard good things about Schon, but hes still not a sure thing. High hopes for Swiderski, Rojas, and Naak, but they have the potential to be very good. Bastida is only going to get better at folkstyle. One or two impact transfers and theres a lot to be excited about here

clone2024

Dec 30, 2021
I think we have the potential to be in trophy contention David's senior year with a couple of transfers at need weights:

Obviously need Kysen, Redding, Cam to keep improving. I have heard good things about Schon, but hes still not a sure thing. High hopes for Swiderski, Rojas, and Naak, but they have the potential to be very good. Bastida is only going to get better at folkstyle. One or two impact transfers and theres a lot to be excited about here
Fousek 133?

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Fousek 133?

I never got to see him in person this year. I can't imagine he was a huge '38 pounder, but I also have no idea how realistic it is for him to hold that in 3 years. That's kind of where I had him slotted in my head when he committed but things change.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Fousek 133?

Perhaps. He'd only be a redshirt freshman at that point, and he seems like more like a development prospect where he really starts to shine his Junior or Senior year, but definitely has a chance to earn the spot

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Did Schon do any Opens?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Perhaps. He'd only be a redshirt freshman at that point, and he seems like more like a development prospect where he really starts to shine his Junior or Senior year, but definitely has a chance to earn the spot
A rich man's Marcus Coleman.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

Was hoping Connor Euton would have a highly ranked kid from Ohio at his weight to meet at state but according to rankings it doesnt look like it. He could be a future 157 for Cyclones, Dresser does well finding gems and building them up.

• Agree
Reactions: stuclone

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

Speaking of Euton, here is his match at Ironman with Ferrari. Gave up a junk td off scramble at the end of the 1st and another in the 3rd off his own shot. I would assume Ferrari is hard to wrestle being build like a brick as a high school kid. Great head hands defense but Euton got in on a couple shots.