Iowa High School State Wrestling Tournament

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I understand the team side but man… to lose a state title that is tough. What a showing by Waukee NW tonight though, 4 for 4 in the finals but still come up 3 points short of SEP

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Man...assuming all other points/placings had held, without the 3-point deduction against WSR for the kid who was DQ'd for biting, WSR is only down 1 to Waukee Northwest (for 2nd) going into the HWT match. Instead HWT wrestler went for the team win instead of the tie and unfortunately the WKNW kid capitalized perfectly.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Not going to pick on a kid who’s clearly a 220 who wrestled up for his team, went for the bonus for outright second, and paid for it.
Went for bonus? He was more than happy to win 3-1. Waukee kid made a great move. Really happy for Waukee. Would have won it if the schools didn’t split with Colin Driscoll’s points at 170.

Reactions: 93CloneMoves

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Went for bonus? He was more than happy to win 3-1. Waukee kid made a great move. Really happy for Waukee. Would have won it if the schools didn’t split with Colin Driscoll’s points at 170.

He pretty clearly made a move while up 3-1 that he didn’t have to make, almost got the Waukee kid to his back, then the Waukee kid made a great move to get WSR to his back.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
He pretty clearly made a move while up 3-1 that he didn’t have to make, almost got the Waukee kid to his back, then the Waukee kid made a great move to get WSR to his back.
I guess I’m blind. I saw a kid holding on for dear life to preserve 3-1 and the Waukee kid roll into the winning move. Guess perspective is everything. WSR would have gotten the same trophy with or without bonus points so I really don’t think he was concerned about it.

Reactions: 93CloneMoves

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I guess I’m blind. I saw a kid holding on for dear life to preserve 3-1 and the Waukee kid roll into the winning move. Guess perspective is everything. WSR would have gotten the same trophy with or without bonus points so I really don’t think he was concerned about it.

Who took the jam out of your doughnuts?

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Private school aren’t they? Hire a good coach and you can be like Don Bosco.
I believe they have a cooperative program and are with West Burlington. ND by itself would have been a small 1A program. The conference, the SEISC, is one of the toughest wrestling conferences in the state. The conference tournament is almost like a mini-state tourney. In fact, in some weights over the years, you have an easier road to win a state championship than a conference championship, since there are 1A and 2A schools there. At least five from the SEISC wrestled for a state championship tonight and another one was third.

Reactions: brett108

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I hope coaches are on Ryder Downey. He still has a lot of room to grow but his top wrestling is pretty good.
Only problem I had with him is the announcers kept saying his dad is Pat Downey (not sure if that is his name or not) and I was starting to twitch with the sound of that name.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I hope coaches are on Ryder Downey. He still has a lot of room to grow but his top wrestling is pretty good.

Agreed. I was super impressed with how he beat Jeseroga (not sure if he was feeling ill when this match took place but I couldn't tell. Both wrestlers looked great). I love how he's aggressive and very basic in on his feet (singles & doubles). He's very active with his setups and had great finishes. His style translates well to college & beyond. PLUS the heart he showed to come from behind in both matches and win arguably the toughest weight class in the tourney is unreal. Ryder earned him self some serious offers IMO... I'd love to see how our coaching staff can develop him.

93CloneMoves

Sep 9, 2021
Grimes, IA
Yeah, he wasn’t trying for bonus at all, Reiland finished Borcherding-Johnson the same way with the roll. Walker was trying to control the left arm and couldn’t.

Reiland was a 220 when he moved from MN last year, he’s still not a traditional heavy, much like Beau Lombardi, he put on weight to wrestle heavyweight when he came in because Winter was going to stay at 220 and Reiland was skilled enough to handle true heavys. He’s going to Air Force as a LB from what I understand l. He had an offer from Arizona State when his family moved to Iowa, not sure if it was commitable.