Iowa MBB averaging 4,658 per game actual attendance

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I posted this in another thread but think it deserves its own. Normally I don't get too worked up about what's happening in Iowa City but this one is too big to pass up.

Iowa basketball: An empty feeling at Carver-Hawkeye | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

Paid attendance is down nearly 3,000 per game from last year (it will pick up a little for conference play). They are only expecting 10,000 for the Drake game.

I love how Iowa fans claim they are some of the best in the nation...well, what do you have to say about this?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Getting to be a dead horse issue, especially with the other side ignoring the facts regarding the issue.

The situation is rather sad and was made worse by the football season - both on and off the field. Lots of apathy in Iowa City right now.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Yup, it's bad. It doesn't seem like the university is trying to do anything about it, which is disappointing. Not much else you can say about that.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Thats just typical hawk fans. They are great to their teams when they win (hence I thought their wrestling crowd was great for being on the road) and they abandon ship when their teams struggle. It's like they don't want to be associated when the team is losing. They have this sense of entitlement that they deserve to win because they're hawkeyes.

of course this isn't ALL their fans, just a lot I've known over the years.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Quit blaming the university!

The tickets have been sold. Number of sales down? Yes. But thousands more tickets have been sold vs the number of people that actually show up.

That is not the university's fault.

Tons of Iowa fans wanted Alford out. You got what you wanted, but not showing the support.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
Pollard is spanking Barta! No ifs, ands or buts about it!!! Barta did a poor job of promoting this year's men's basketball team.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Quit blaming the university!

The tickets have been sold. Number of sales down? Yes. But thousands more tickets have been sold vs the number of people that actually show up.

That is not the university's fault.

Tons of Iowa fans wanted Alford out. You got what you wanted, but not showing the support.

I'm not blaming the university. I do think they could do something about single game tickets. Ticket sales are down - people don't want to spend a lot of money for bad games.

Of course, it's likely that it wouldn't increase attendance that much more. I dunno, it's just bad. I really, REALLY hope that more people start showing up. Right now, the program is still in shambles. I know Lick can get it done, but it's going to be harder than he thought.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Yup, it's bad. It doesn't seem like the university is trying to do anything about it, which is disappointing. Not much else you can say about that.

What should the University do?? Lower ticket prices because you "fans" don't want to pay a few extra bucks to support the program?

And as 22 said, selling more tickets just means more people won't show up. This isn't a University issue, it's a fan issue.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
What should the University do?? Lower ticket prices because you "fans" don't want to pay a few extra bucks to support the program?

And as 22 said, selling more tickets just means more people won't show up. This isn't a University issue, it's a fan issue.

Honestly though, there should be more people in the stands, but you can't blame the fans for not wanting to show up at 8:00 on a week night to watch their team struggle against Northern Colorado, especially when they can watch the game on TV or listen on the radio. When the team gets better, I'm sure that won't be as much of an issue, but if you look around the Big Ten, other teams are having the same problems.

There is no excuse for it. It would be nice to at least see the place half way full...

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Here is the difference between Iowa and ISU fans:

Year 1 - Greg McDermott. Team is picked to finish last in the Big 12. Average paid attendance for the year is 12,489...25th in the nation.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Ok...no more back peddle. In your past posts and your first one on this thread, the university was your target...

Seems clear to me who you're blaming. You continue to skirt the fan issue or will only "agree" with it once it's jammed down your thought.

I enjoy many of your posts SH, but sometimes you're such a big homer that you can't see what's right in front of you...including facts.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Honestly though, there should be more people in the stands, but you can't blame the fans for not wanting to show up at 8:00 on a week night to watch their team struggle against Northern Colorado, especially when they can watch the game on TV or listen on the radio. When the team gets better, I'm sure that won't be as much of an issue, but if you look around the Big Ten, other teams are having the same problems.

There is no excuse for it. It would be nice to at least see the place half way full...

You preceed this statement with excuses. :eek:

True fans DO show up to Northern Colorado games. Why do people go to the football games when they can listen to it on the radio or watch it on TV?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
More excuses about game times and opponents.

ISU fans, you know, the lowly in-state rival, are showing up at Hilton - regardless of who or when.

Are Iowa fans so elite that they just show up when the team is good and/or they're playing marquee opponents?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Why not? We have 7:30 games on weeknights to struggle against teams like Centenary (I know it was a Saturday game, but I'm trying to prove a point) and Northern Iowa, yet we still fill our arena. As far as the attendance getting better at Iowa when the team gets better, that's the point we're making here - the Cyclones were not a good team last year and are not a good team this year and the fans are still showing up to support the team. Iowa fans demanded Alford be gone, got their wish, the team is struggling, and have significantly less attendance than last year. The difference is clear - ISU fans support their Cyclones through thick and thin, Iowa fans support their Hawkeyes when the teams are winning and it's popular to do so. As much as I'd like to have the kind of numbers the Iowa fan base has, I hope the ISU fan base never develops this kind of overall apathy.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
More excuses about game times and opponents.

ISU fans, you know, the lowly in-state rival, are showing up at Hilton - regardless of who or when.

Are Iowa fans so elite that they just show up when the team is good and/or they're playing marquee opponents?

Playing Wake Forest on your home floor is pretty marquee...and they still don't show up. So it must be that they only think they should show up when the team is good.

This is exactly why I dislike Iowa fans (in general). They are entitled to winning basketball without putting in the "work" when the team is bad. They were the same way early in Ferentz's first few years for football.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Missing a very big point in all of this too. Most people in Iowa City and Cedar Rapids can't watch the games. They have almost all been on the Big Ten Network. Which makes it even worse. It is basically all the Iowa fans saying we don't care about basketball.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Missing a very big point in all of this too. Most people in Iowa City and Cedar Rapids can't watch the games. They have almost all been on the Big Ten Network. Which makes it even worse. It is basically all the Iowa fans saying we don't care about basketball unless they are good because they deserve that as an Iowa fan.

Fixed your post for you. :wink:

Excellent point about the Big 10 Network.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Who cares!? Why do so many on this board give a crap how many people show up to EIU games? Yes, it's funny and pathetic but let's quit obsessing. Also, I hate defending a hawk fan but it's not SH's fault the fans aren't showing up. I don't think he was making excuses either, just mentioned maybe the university could have done more to promote the team.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I don't know how early our students get to the games to get front row, but my little bro-in-law has said that he gets there 20 minute before the game and has gotten front row almost every time, no problems.

Real fans will show up to games and support the team no matter what. You would think they would want to show support to the new coach, but maybe they just don't care.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Who cares!? Why do so many on this board give a crap how many people show up to EIU games? Yes, it's funny and pathetic but let's quit obsessing. Also, I hate defending a hawk fan but it's not SH's fault the fans aren't showing up. I don't think he was making excuses either, just mentioned maybe the university could have done more to promote the team.
What else do we have in Iowa other then Iowa state and Iowa to talk about? I live in Hiawatha(Cedar Rapids) and happen to be friends with alot of Iowa fans, I personally enjoy the fact that I always know more about their teams then they do.

Help Support Us

Become a patron