Iowa MBB averaging 4,658 per game actual attendance

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Something is special about Pollard when he can get fans excited about mediocre teams.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
That's a sad number but as we know they'll start showing up once the Big 10 season rolls around just like our fans do for Big 12 games. Only difference is we have had better non-conference game support so it's not nearly as noticable as it is for Iowa.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Who cares!? Why do so many on this board give a crap how many people show up to EIU games? Yes, it's funny and pathetic but let's quit obsessing. Also, I hate defending a hawk fan but it's not SH's fault the fans aren't showing up. I don't think he was making excuses either, just mentioned maybe the university could have done more to promote the team.

Hawk fans portray themselves as all high and mighty and they say they are some of the best fans in the nation. That is total BS and this is just one of several points to prove it.

Also, many of my friends are Hawk fans and we talk sports all of the time. So yes, I do give a crap what's going on over there. You may not, but many people do.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I'm sorry if 9k season tickets have been sold their should be 9k in attendence...I dont have season tickets for ISU basketball but do for football, the thing is if I cant go to a game I either sell them to someone who wants to or give them to a friend that I know will go to the game. I know the two sports are different but I would do the same for basketball. I know there are a lot of corporate tickets around and that is usually how I am fortunate enought to see cyclone games.

If a team is bad people give tickets away left and right...there always people who cant afford or chose not to buy season tickets to pick those give-aways up. Theres no excuse.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Here is the difference between Iowa and ISU fans:

Year 1 - Greg McDermott. Team is picked to finish last in the Big 12. Average paid attendance for the year is 12,489...25th in the nation.

Hawk fans portray themselves as all high and mighty and they say they are some of the best fans in the nation. That is total BS and this is just one of several points to prove it.

Also, many of my friends are Hawk fans and we talk sports all of the time. So yes, I do give a crap what's going on over there. You may not, but many people do.

Wasn't it you who was complaining about how dismal the Hilton Crowd was during the Minnesota game? http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/16550-hilton-last-night.html#post253424

Also, I watched ISU play UNI, and heard of the Centenary and Winston-Salem crowds. Not many people in the seats, and not a lot of cheering.

I'm not arguing that ISU has had more people there - because they have. Probably about 5,000 more people per game. But with as dismal as Iowa's attendance has been, ISU's hasn't been anything to brag about. You can argue paid attendance all you want - Iowa has 9,500 people paying, but about 5,000 people not showing up.

ISU is having about the same problem, aren't they? According to cyclones.com, ISU is averaging a paid attendance this year at around 14,000. Not too shabby. But they're is no way that they've averaged much more than 10,000 people in the stands per game.

And to head this off before I get blasted - no I haven't gone to games. I've watched a few on TV, but if you do a search on this site and look at posts from people who have gone to games, almost every thread has a complaint about how "lame the Hilton Crowd was last night", or how there were so many empty seats, etc...

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'll take 14K paying and 10K coming over 10K paying and 5K coming anyday.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
Wasn't it you who was complaining about how dismal the Hilton Crowd was during the Minnesota game? http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/mens-basketball/16550-hilton-last-night.html#post253424

Also, I watched ISU play UNI, and heard of the Centenary and Winston-Salem crowds. Not many people in the seats, and not a lot of cheering.

I'm not arguing that ISU has had more people there - because they have. Probably about 5,000 more people per game. But with as dismal as Iowa's attendance has been, ISU's hasn't been anything to brag about. You can argue paid attendance all you want - Iowa has 9,500 people paying, but about 5,000 people not showing up.

ISU is having about the same problem, aren't they? According to cyclones.com, ISU is averaging a paid attendance this year at around 14,000. Not too shabby. But they're is no way that they've averaged much more than 10,000 people in the stands per game.

And to head this off before I get blasted - no I haven't gone to games. I've watched a few on TV, but if you do a search on this site and look at posts from people who have gone to games, almost every thread has a complaint about how "lame the Hilton Crowd was last night", or how there were so many empty seats, etc...

Maybe, but "lame" at Hilton still beats a sellout at CHA. Wait, has there ever been a sellout at CHA??:biggrin:

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I'll take 14K paying and 10K coming over 10K paying and 5K coming anyday.
I don't disagree. I'm just saying, both teams are having this problem of people buying tickets, and then not showing up. While the problem may not be as bad at ISU this season, the fact is that still about 5,000 fans pay and don't show up.

Maybe, but "lame" at Hilton still beats a sellout at CHA. Wait, has there ever been a sellout at CHA??:biggrin:

LOL, touche`. Although, I've been at Carver when it gets loud. I'm not going to compare it to Hilton, because I hate Carver. The bowl annoys me, and I can't believe they built it that way.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Never, not ONCE did anyone say ISU fans were were filling the joint up during rough seasons.

However, as noted, 10k attendance > 5k attendance....7 days a week.

I've been disappointed over attendance to some games last year and one or two this year. I certainly have not been sick over the lack of fans in the seats though - which is how I would feel if I was a Hawk fan looking around CHA.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

I was complaining about having only 10,000 actual people there (without school in session). Iowa fans should be complaining that they can't get 10,000 PAID people there. Huge difference.

Minnesota game attendance was 13,709. I was complaining that only 10,000 or so showed up (73% of paid attendance). Iowa is averaging 9,119 and 4,658 showing up (51%). Again, a huge difference.

You do realize that the Iowa State WOMEN are averaging more people per game than your men's team right? :biglaugh:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Easy to diagnose:
Iowa has poor parking, poor product with expected stars not contributing much yet, a middle of road newbie coach, no hope of Big Ten title, no expectations after football season busted, and great booze bars.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Thats just typical hawk fans. They are great to their teams when they win (hence I thought their wrestling crowd was great for being on the road) and they abandon ship when their teams struggle. It's like they don't want to be associated when the team is losing. They have this sense of entitlement that they deserve to win because they're hawkeyes.

of course this isn't ALL their fans, just a lot I've known over the years.

My guess is their alumni crowd is pretty loyal...as is ours. It is their casual fan without attatchment to the university that tends to latch on only to the winning teams. This is why I'd take our smaller fan base over their larger one any day of the week.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I might have said "filled," but it was more in comparison of Hilton to CHA. More than 2/3 filled looks a lot more full than less than 1/3 filled.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Never, not ONCE did anyone say ISU fans were were filling the joint up during rough seasons.

However, as noted, 10k attendance > 5k attendance....7 days a week.

I've been disappointed over attendance to some games last year and one or two this year. I certainly have not been sick over the lack of fans in the seats though - which is how I would feel if I was a Hawk fan looking around CHA.

My point is that there were quite a few posts comparing ISU fans to Iowa fans, and how much more loyal the ISU fan base is because they are showing up and supporting their team - when in fact you are seeing roughly the same numbers now showing up (about 5,000 people paying and then not coming).

It isn't as bad at ISU - not nearly as bad. But the games against bad competition (Centenary and Winston-Salem) had poor attendance, and the game against Minnesota was also pretty empty. So it's not like ISU fans are selling out the place and getting Hilton rocking - so the comparison is fair.

I was complaining about having only 10,000 actual people there (without school in session). Iowa fans should be complaining that they can't get 10,000 PAID people there. Huge difference.

Minnesota game attendance was 13,709. I was complaining that only 10,000 or so showed up (73% of paid attendance). Iowa is averaging 9,119 and 4,658 showing up (51%). Again, a huge difference.

You do realize that the Iowa State WOMEN are averaging more people per game than your men's team right? :biglaugh:

I'd be willing to bet that the actual people that show up to the women's games is pretty close to the number that show up to the men's....

CyTom

Mar 30, 2006
Des Moines
The aveage Iowa fan is still saving their money and waiting for their football bowl game announcement to come through, duh!:wink:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The paid vs. attendance numbers...oh...tossing out the same 5k.

What about the percentage relationship?

And there is no way there were anywhere close to 5k fans at the Hawkeye challenge games...which is on the same level as the Centenary and Winston-Salem games you keep bringing up.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
The paid vs. attendance numbers...oh...tossing out the same 5k.

What about the percentage relationship?

And there is no way there were anywhere close to 5k fans at the Hawkeye challenge games...which is on the same level as the Centenary and Winston-Salem games you keep bringing up.

Like I said - it's not nearly as bad at ISU as it is at Iowa. But some people were making it sound as though ISU fans were all so giddy to come out and support their new coach, when still about 5,000 people aren't showing up after paying for their ticket.

Like I've said, there is no excuse for the lack of people in the stands. I don't know why - it would be nice to get them there. I hope they show up for the Big Ten season. Lick knows he needs to get them excited about basketball again - and I have faith that he will.