Iowa State’s Most Bone-Headed Athletic Change?

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Except we weren't after him, we wanted fischer (i think that was the assistant we wanted), JO just started asking questions and then took it himself.
I thought they called Johnny to ask about Bill Frieder his assistant. Frieder got the job after Johnny left for ISU and later Frieder left for ASU and that's when Steve Fischer got the Michigan job.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
To be fair, ISU attendance at the last home series in school history was pretty good (and I don't think they knew it was the final season at that time). They drew a 756 average over the three-game weekend series. Although it was against Nebraska, who likely brought a decent contingent.

The announcement was made on April 2.

At that point, they still had home games left against Winona State (2), Grand View, Kansas (3), Minnesota, St. Ambrose, Texas (3), Western Illinois (2), and Nebraska (3).

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
These are all sort of funny.

But boy do you all enjoy being miserable. We are coming off 5 straight bowl games, a MBB and WBB sweet 16.

It's not about being miserable - there was enough of that naturally for decades. It's about thinking about some of the decisions that in retrospect (or even at the time) changed things either just for the sake of change or even for the worse. Clearly we're better off now, but that doesn't mean there weren't stupid decisions along the way.

Reactions: t-noah

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
These are all sort of funny.

But boy do you all enjoy being miserable. We are coming off 5 straight bowl games, a MBB and WBB sweet 16.
Surprised you're not here to mention that the TJ hire was the biggest bonehead change given how pissed off you were that we fired Prohm and hired TJ.

• Funny
Reactions: VeloClone and Jer

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
It says "Jack Trice Stadium" on the outside of the stadium in big, lit up letters. They have the "Jack Trice" stripes on the exterior of the Stark Performance Center. They JUST finished building a new plaza area outside the stadium that is a pretty wide open canvas. If you want a statue the size of Iowa's Nile Kinnick statue outside of the stadium so badly, I suggest forking up some cash. You can't say the athletic department, let alone the football program, hasn't done enough to honor Jack.
Show me where I said this.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I thought they called Johnny to ask about Bill Frieder his assistant. Frieder got the job after Johnny left for ISU and later Frieder left for ASU and that's when Steve Fischer got the Michigan job.
Could be, I remembered bill f, but Fischer was all I could think of.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Show me where I said this.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Surprised you're not here to mention that the TJ hire was the biggest bonehead change given how pissed off you were that we fired Prohm and hired TJ.

There's a few that will always cling onto Mac or CPR because they beat Iowa no matter what ISU has done since, and then some will pine for Prohm or at least have a bit of 'needed one more year'-ness with it which doesn't hold a lot of weight.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

I'm surprised you aren't here wringing your hands that the biggest mistake made by any ISU fan was having lunch with Steve Prohm.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's not about being miserable - there was enough of that naturally for decades. It's about thinking about some of the decisions that in retrospect (or even at the time) changed things either just for the sake of change or even for the worse. Clearly we're better off now, but that doesn't mean there weren't stupid decisions along the way.

Didn’t say there weren’t bone headed decisions. Said that we are determined to be miserable. And you, in general, seem to be focused on the negatives lately.

Put it this way, I’d bet my life that if you put up a positive post it wouldn’t have near the number of comments as this one.