Iowa State’s Most Bone-Headed Athletic Change?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm surprised you aren't here wringing your hands that the biggest mistake made by any ISU fan was having lunch with Steve Prohm.

Everyone deserves 1 (or 30) bad takes ;)

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Didn’t say there weren’t bone headed decisions. Said that we are determined to be miserable. And you, in general, seem to be focused on the negatives lately.

Put it this way, I’d bet my life that if you put up a positive post it wouldn’t have near the number of comments as this one.

Wrong. I could say we’re going to ban JSB today and I’d have 10,000 likewise positive responses immediately.

:jimlad:

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Sparkplug

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I think this matches my OP pretty well. It seems like we've done a lot of work to get rid of some of the fun side things about going to games (both MBB and FB). Between the 5 for 5, helmet mobile, blimp, build a burger or whatever it was at basketball games, etc - it's so much more transactional. I know that is the way of the world, but ISU used to be a lot more fun in some ways.

The end results (wins/losses) obviously matter the most, but these fun things helped get kids and others more emotionally tied to the programs when things weren't great on the court or field and now they're all gone for no reasonable reason. It couldn't have cost much to maintain the helmet car. The blimp maybe had a liability issue but so what. The 5 for 5 could have easily found a new sponsor, etc.
Those are fair points.....i also think we (as a society, people, etc) tend to cling to our memories/experiences and don't always notice others enjoying new ones.

Meaning, there is probably a few kids that LOVE stuff happening at games us old folks grumble at (intros at bball with the "new" lights, smile cam, shooting hoops for a mower at games).

I mean, our biggest negative change was not continuing the sponsorship with West Town Pub......"We....Love...the CYCLONES!" LOL

Reactions: Jer

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Those are fair points.....i also think we (as a society, people, etc) tend to cling to our memories/experiences and don't always notice others enjoying new ones.

Meaning, there is probably a few kids that LOVE stuff happening at games us old folks grumble at (intros at bball with the "new" lights, smile cam, shooting hoops for a mower at games).

I mean, our biggest negative change was not continuing the sponsorship with West Town Pub......"We....Love...the CYCLONES!" LOL

Fully agree. I remember growing up going to MBB and FB games with my dad and grandpa and at certain young ages, things like the blimp and football car were part of the fun (before I started liking the cheerleaders more, lol).

I look back and remember getting blown out so many times at FB games why we sat nearly alone in the upper deck with sleet and snow, and the only good memories for some stretches are some of the extras.

I never hear anybody else talk about the blimp so I’m either the only one that remembers it or that enjoyed it. Part of it was waiting to see if it hit anybody:)

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I have not read them all, here are mine, sorry if duplicates. I will also say I did read keeping Gable, ya some fricking athletic tape really cost us.

100 years ago not getting into the Big 10, kinda joking.

Not hiring Bill Snyder before KSU did, NOT joking.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I believe the fuss was centered
That's not surprising. I don't remember too much fuss by anyone including fans when he left.

But coming off of his recent success prior to that seemed like a slam dunk.
I believe the biggest fuss was Chiz never bothered to meet with the players when he left.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Fully agree. I remember growing up going to MBB and FB games with my dad and grandpa and at certain young ages, things like the blimp and football car were part of the fun (before I started liking the cheerleaders more, lol).

I look back and remember getting blown out so many times at FB games why we sat nearly alone in the upper deck with sleet and snow, and the only good memories for some stretches are some of the extras.

I never hear anybody else talk about the blimp so I’m either the only one that remembers it or that enjoyed it. Part of it was waiting to see if it hit anybody:)
You’re not the only one, I ******* loved that blimp as a child.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I think this matches my OP pretty well. It seems like we've done a lot of work to get rid of some of the fun side things about going to games (both MBB and FB). Between the 5 for 5, helmet mobile, blimp, build a burger or whatever it was at basketball games, etc - it's so much more transactional. I know that is the way of the world, but ISU used to be a lot more fun in some ways.

The end results (wins/losses) obviously matter the most, but these fun things helped get kids and others more emotionally tied to the programs when things weren't great on the court or field and now they're all gone for no reasonable reason. It couldn't have cost much to maintain the helmet car. The blimp maybe had a liability issue but so what. The 5 for 5 could have easily found a new sponsor, etc.

I’m fairly certain that Tron hosted and Wilson Toyota sponsored it for a few years after Benson was done. I always figured it went away because they couldn’t find another sponsor after that.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Regarding "Shoot 5-for-5" ... Seem to recall at least one person won an automobile, but memory is hazy.

Also curious about the other sponsors, how much it varied. I remember meals-for-4 at Village Inn and Aunt Maude's. What were the other two beyond B-Motors?

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
Also, during the 'rona year, I did see a guy during the West Virgina game run a small hose/straw from a pouch of some kind in his coat up through the top of his coat, under his gator, and right by his mouth. The way the gator was textured and colored it was almost impossible to see the straw. The son of a b*tch was drinking whiskey the whole damn game and I am pretty sure I was one of the only ones who noticed.
Check this out. https://www.delish.com/food-news/a4...utm_campaign=socialflowTWDEL&src=socialflowTW
dude runs a straw through hot dog and then uses the hot dog as a straw to drink his beer.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
In the colder months you can put beer cans in your jacket as well and as long as the DMACC baseball player who got roped into working security for fundraising doesn't see you pounding them down, or you have a whiny Karen near you, you should be fine.

Also, during the 'rona year, I did see a guy during the West Virgina game run a small hose/straw from a pouch of some kind in his coat up through the top of his coat, under his gator, and right by his mouth. The way the gator was textured and colored it was almost impossible to see the straw. The son of a b*tch was drinking whiskey the whole damn game and I am pretty sure I was one of the only ones who noticed.

Check this out. https://www.delish.com/food-news/a4...utm_campaign=socialflowTWDEL&src=socialflowTW
dude runs a straw through hot dog and then uses the hot dog as a straw to drink his beer.
Well if one of my friends or cousins was to get me a gift, you know, to better appreciate the next ISU game, something like this might be on my wish list.
Good to get closer vision and take a few pics!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

The end results (wins/losses) obviously matter the most, but these fun things helped get kids and others more emotionally tied to the programs when things weren't great on the court or field and now they're all gone for no

reasonable reason. It couldn't have cost much to maintain the helmet car. The blimp maybe had a liability issue but so what. The 5 for 5 could have easily found a new sponsor, etc.

5 for 5 seems to have been replaced by the van wall lawn mower shoot out though it isn't as fun. Lots of the stuff has went by the wayside. The A.D. has really cut back the promotions at WBB no more tshirts or mini BB at end of games. But there is Johnny's and wristbands for the high rollers.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
There's a few that will always cling onto Mac or CPR because they beat Iowa no matter what ISU has done since, and then some will pine for Prohm or at least have a bit of 'needed one more year'-ness with it which doesn't hold a lot of weight.

No, no one will every pine for Prohm that SOB ran the program off the rails thru the ditch and over the cliff Thelma and Louise style.
It was the only yr I didn't have season tickets I'm grateful for that, the last game of the season the ushers would have had to pry me off the rails of the balcony while I yelled at him for destroying the program.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Shhh, we’re labeled haters if we say that. I fully agree though.

Decent sales on basketball days and that’s even questionable since most of the time people are already struggling to get there after work before tip off.

It’s not a destination place (ie concert venue) and not enough casual traffic during weeknights and summer to make it profitable, let alone a financial driver of any sort. Places with many times the realistic traffic barely survive.

Could be wrong, would be happy to be, but seems like a high risk, low reward gamble.
It is not going to be 100% retail.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Spending 10 million of private donations and a ******* bridge that lights up when that money could been funneled in to the Collective.

(ducks...)
Tell that to the two people that gave the money for that purpose.

Reactions: t-noah

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
I go back and forth about baseball….. we were sooooooo bad and nobody went to games, but it sucks we are one of fee schools that don’t have it anymore. I was even good buddies on the baseball team. They threw far better parties than playing baseball lol. But I would love to see it back and add equestrian team that would offset the scholarship ratio. We have a great equine program but only a club team. All the schools down south have them. And South Dakota State has a great program that take a lot of talent from here that would go to ISU.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I go back and forth about baseball….. we were sooooooo bad and nobody went to games, but it sucks we are one of fee schools that don’t have it anymore. I was even good buddies on the baseball team. They threw far better parties than playing baseball lol. But I would love to see it back and add equestrian team that would offset the scholarship ratio. We have a great equine program but only a club team. All the schools down south have them. And South Dakota State has a great program that take a lot of talent from here that would go to ISU.
We sucked because we are so far north. Why the big ten gets pee pounded in the tournament.

Reactions: ISUalways

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron