Iowa State at Missouri

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
I thought it seemed like we are always on the road. 6 of last 8 Big 12/SEC Challenge games have been at SEC sites.
2014: Auburn @ Hilton
2015: Arkansas @ Hilton
2016: @ Texas A&M
2017: @ Vanderbilt
2018: Tennessee @ Hilton
2019: @ Ole Miss
2020: @ Auburn
2021: @ Mississippi State
2022: Mizzou @ Hilton
2023: @ Mizzou

and the 2018 game, we wish was on the road. ISU was not good and was crushed by Tenn @ Hilton.

• Informative
Reactions: CoachHines3

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I thought it seemed like we are always on the road. 6 of last 8 Big 12/SEC Challenge games have been at SEC sites.

and the 2018 game, we wish was on the road. ISU was not good and was crushed by Tenn @ Hilton.
The best thing about this year's matchup is it's the END of the SEC/Big 12 series.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019

That 2018 game was a week after destroying #8 Tech and right before beating up on #16 WVU.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Looked like a rough opening decade for the Clones.

They've had some rough decades playing lots of teams in football, haha.

That's quite a black mark on Mizzou's history to have lost 5 straight to ISU during some real dark times.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
just hoping we turn them over about 20 times, then i think we can win even without Grill

Reactions: VeloClone

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I'm not going to dislike, disagree or dumb anyone's opinions but I am not following the logic that this game doesnt matter? I understand it is a non conference game, obviously doesnt apply to the conference race, but a L is still a L. Does a W against an average P5 school even out of conference not weigh more than a W against a Directional School in November?

Seems to me that Iowa State stands a lot to lose hear if they lose to Missouri. I understand the road could turn and they start to accumulate losses but right now Iowa State is on pace for a 3 or 4 seed. I kind of hope the players have a little better attitude than the "meh" that I'm reading here.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
I'm not going to dislike, disagree or dumb anyone's opinions but I am not following the logic that this game doesnt matter? I understand it is a non conference game, obviously doesnt apply to the conference race, but a L is still a L. Does a W against an average P5 school even out of conference not weigh more than a W against a Directional School in November?

Seems to me that Iowa State stands a lot to lose hear if they lose to Missouri. I understand the road could turn and they start to accumulate losses but right now Iowa State is on pace for a 3 or 4 seed. I kind of hope the players have a little better attitude than the "meh" that I'm reading here.

it's more-so that it doesn't matter nearly as much as a loss to TTU on Monday (for example).

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
it's more-so that it doesn't matter nearly as much as a loss to TTU on Monday (for example).

And I think the general narrative of the "would you rather" is focused largely on if it's "safe" to rest Grill (if staff deems it necessary) plus tight Saturday/Monday turnaround.

(Not my narrative, but based on comments in this thread and a couple of others).

Of course it isn't either/or; if that were the case, losing a Missouri is "preferable" because (1) doesn't affect conference title possibilities (2) It's a Quad 1 loss (as of now) and Tech would be teetering on Quad 2. (TT is on the cusp of that right now)

Last edited:
Reactions: t-noah

alenz95

Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames

I don't think everyone feels like a loss is okay. It's more that we are currently tied for first place in the Big-12 at the midway point. This game provides an opportunity for a team who likes to play physically to rest a bit and try some new things. Where this team finishes in the Big 12 will go a lot further for seeding than a game against Missouri.

Reactions: dahliaclone

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
And I think the general narrative of the "would you rather" is focused largely on if it's "safe" to rest Grill (if staff deems it necessary) plus tight Saturday/Monday turnaround.

(Not my narrative, but based on comments in this thread and a couple of others).

Of course it isn't either/or; if that were the case, losing a Missouri is "preferable" because (1) doesn't affect conference title possibilities (2) It's a Quad 1 loss (as of now) and Tech would be teetering on Quad 2. (TT is on the cusp of that right now)
Part of that is also that the shine of Mizzou has declined recently. If they were a top 15 team, beating them in their house would carry much more cachet, as it is now, it would be a nice win, but not one to make the committee take notice.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron