Iowa State - NCAA Violations

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Some more information from Ames Tribune College: Could ISU

It is hard to imagine that the lack of keeping a log on "failed calls," but then finding them in an internal audit and reporting them to the NCAA, could be considered a punishable offense.

I can't wait to find out what other schools report from their own internal audits. The NCAA will be setting a bar in how they respond to us. And there are going to be schools that have much, much worse "violations" to report.

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Here's my whole issue: If the school saw undocumented calls why wouldn't they go to the coach and say hey document this so we have it on record?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Here's my whole issue: If the school saw undocumented calls why wouldn't they go to the coach and say hey document this so we have it on record?

I think these discrepancies were found long after-the-fact by the "compliance officers" (designated, trained, and probably NCAA-certified ISU staff who are probably bound by a code of ethics to report rather than fix the problems they find). This finding probably did result in changes to the reporting process from then on.

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012
So the most we are looking at is 2 years probation? And maybe a lost schollarship if it is isolated to one sport? Do I got this right?

Is this that big a deal?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
So the most we are looking at is 2 years probation? And maybe a lost schollarship if it is isolated to one sport? Do I got this right?

Is this that big a deal?

Thats what we are asking for. It's technically possible, if it's, say, Herman and football, the NCAA decides to make an example out of us and gives us a 2 year bowl ban and a loss of 5 scholarships/year

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Thats what we are asking for. It's technically possible, if it's, say, Herman and football, the NCAA decides to make an example out of us and gives us a 2 year bowl ban and a loss of 5 scholarships/year

Iowa State has already sanctioned themselves so anything that the NCAA decided would be on top of what ISU has already served/is serving. I think what you suggest is so out of whack that it borders on fear mongering.

Reactions: swarthmoreCY

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The NCAA allowed Indiana and the Sooners to use their self punishment when Sampson commited his calling violations, and they were much worse than this. Neither team lost post season and were both placed on probation. The same goes for the Baylor situation. When there are that many rulings issued by the NCAA on things worse they really cannot come down harder on ISU.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
The NCAA allowed Indiana and the Sooners to use their self punishment when Sampson commited his calling violations, and they were much worse than this. Neither team lost post season and were both placed on probation. The same goes for the Baylor situation. When there are that many rulings issued by the NCAA on things worse they really cannot come down harder on ISU.

don't say things like that or their response will be "challenge accepted".

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I fully support the move to have a supposedly unprecedented internal audit, but thinking that sets a precedent for other schools is naive.

The NCAA is the organization that reinstated Cam Newton for the SEC Championship the day after Auburn admitted on its own that he was ineligible for payment made to his father by a booster.

Even if our "new precedent" of phone call auditing (if that is even a true statement) is pushed on to other schools, they will do an excellent job of forging the correct documents to account for any missing pieces of documentation.

Sammy11

Jun 11, 2010
DFW
This is ticky tack stuff and we dealt with it a year ago. Tech football dealt with it under leach. Not an issue IMO as it's not a willful violation.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think these discrepancies were found long after-the-fact by the "compliance officers" (designated, trained, and probably NCAA-certified ISU staff who are probably bound by a code of ethics to report rather than fix the problems they find). This finding probably did result in changes to the reporting process from then on.

I understand that. Maybe I am unethical but I would have went to the coach and said "hey way back when you made a call and didn't document it, document it real quick so we don't have any issues".

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I understand that. Maybe I am unethical but I would have went to the coach and said "hey way back when you made a call and didn't document it, document it real quick so we don't have any issues".

I would hope that each sport has its own unofficial internal auditor to check things before the official internal auditors do. Of course, "finding nothing" is a huge red flag to the NCAA. As you can tell with the minute things that we are reporting on such a huge amount of communication, there will always be something.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I fully support the move to have a supposedly unprecedented internal audit, but thinking that sets a precedent for other schools is naive.

The NCAA is the organization that reinstated Cam Newton for the SEC Championship the day after Auburn admitted on its own that he was ineligible for payment made to his father by a booster.

Even if our "new precedent" of phone call auditing (if that is even a true statement) is pushed on to other schools, they will do an excellent job of forging the correct documents to account for any missing pieces of documentation.

It may not set a precedent, but it certainly puts us on the right side of transparency. And I think a time will come when schools may look really bad just by not being transparent.

Mandatory disclosure of compliance reports is coming in lots of industries. There is even pressure to make a university's accreditation self-study reports open to the public.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Iowa State has already sanctioned themselves so anything that the NCAA decided would be on top of what ISU has already served/is serving. I think what you suggest is so out of whack that it borders on fear mongering.

Like I said, it technically is possible that the NCAA could do that, just likes it's possible they could give us the death penalty. Will either happen? Definitely not, but the 2 years probation doesn't mean thats our only penalty - the NCAA still could say something.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Like I said, it technically is possible that the NCAA could do that, just likes it's possible they could give us the death penalty. Will either happen? Definitely not, but the 2 years probation doesn't mean thats our only penalty - the NCAA still could say something.

Yeah, it is technically possible, but so is being convicted of a murder committed in your house even though you were out of the country at the time. If they were to add on to what ISU already did there is very, very little chance that it would include losing 5 scholarships for multiple years.

We better start looking for new football, men's basketball and women's basketball coaches because it is technically possible that they will be slapped with show cause rulings.

Reactions: Rabbuk

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Yeah, it is technically possible, but so is being convicted of a murder committed in your house even though you were out of the country at the time. If they were to add on to what ISU already did there is very, very little chance that it would include losing 5 scholarships for multiple years.

We better start looking for new football, men's basketball and women's basketball coaches because it is technically possible that they will be slapped with show cause rulings.

Not sure what your deal is. There are multiple death penalty posts (that are joking) and even a "6 year bowl ban" post. I'm just letting him know that the 2 year probation isn't the "final" punishment we face, as the NCAA can still give out their punishment.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Not sure what your deal is. There are multiple death penalty posts (that are joking) and even a "6 year bowl ban" post. I'm just letting him know that the 2 year probation isn't the "final" punishment we face, as the NCAA can still give out their punishment.

Got it ... now, let it go. Don't turn this into another thread about what your posts mean.