Iowa State OU postgame video

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
It’s sort of funny because earlier in the season CW was saying on his podcasts about how this team was different then last year because it was much better offensively and not quite as good defensively. But then on todays podcast it is all about how limited we are offensively.
To be fair, at the time that was probably true. Grill, Gabe, and Jaren were all playing at a high level. Right now they're all different players; hopefully they snap out of it.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I don't love that tj always says the defensive intensity wasn't enough. 18 turnovers and holding the opponent to 60 is fine. Need to score at sone point. But it's just coach speak, he knows we need offense, and it's coming.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
To be fair, at the time that was probably true. Grill, Gabe, and Jaren were all playing at a high level. Right now they're all different players; hopefully they snap out of it.
It’s so perplexing, we really were playing some high-level basketball there for a while. And then what exactly change I’m not for sure. I’ve always viewed Kunc positively, I like him as a player and I like his game…it’s just weird that right after he came back the team collapsed. Probably a coincidence but it’s just odd to me.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Oh for sure. But it wasn't presented as they were all playing well 'for now'. It was presented like we won't have the offensive slumps like last year because the team is so much better offensively.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
It’s sort of funny because earlier in the season CW was saying on his podcasts about how this team was different then last year because it was much better offensively and not quite as good defensively. But then on todays podcast it is all about how limited we are offensively.
Well the Kenpom numbers support that we are much better offensively than last year but still at #107. In Big 12 games we had a 94.7 offensive rating last year. This year is 101.4. We were 9th last year and #170 nationally. This year we are 7th and #107 nationally. We are much better than last year and yet still very limited.

Reactions: jsb

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Frankly, I will be shocked if we beat WV tomorrow night. FIRST time I've felt that about a game in Hilton since TJ took over. Doesn't mean I'm down on the staff or team, and I'm still grateful for what they've already accomplished. However, Stevenson and Mitchell alone are better scorers and can find their own shot better than anyone we've got. WV will drive to the basket, hit the boards hard, and force us to really help or foul them. I mean what can we do in 24 hours to change the way we play? Not to mention the banged up guys. Will Osun even play?
WV is still playing to get into the dance, I assume.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It’s so perplexing, we really were playing some high-level basketball there for a while. And then what exactly change I’m not for sure. I’ve always viewed Kunc positively, I like him as a player and I like his game…it’s just weird that right after he came back the team collapsed. Probably a coincidence but it’s just odd to me.

I don't think it is Jaz at all.

But what is weird about this team since the Texas Tech game is that when things aren't going well, they just lose their minds. In the OSU games and yesterday, they just start tossing up shots like the poor guy that is shooting for the lawn tractor. It's like they've never seen a basketball ever. The last 2 Saturday home games, I knew as soon as we were down that we weren't going to win.

But at the same time, they've had some games where they've played very well in that stretch (TCU, Kansas).

But in the moment, it is like they can't get themselves out of whatever funk they are in. The timeouts don't seem to help.

It would be interesting to know when it exactly started. Because I didn't think it was that way at the beginning of the season (save Iowa). Early on, I thought we were capable of pulling out of a funk. But now? If we are down more than 6 in one of those games, we are screwed. My best guess would be this all really started in the West Virginia game. And it is part of the reason why I feel like a well placed technical by the coach, might have helped things a bit.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Fast start to conference didn't help by building everyone's expectations. I was hoping it would continue, but unfortunately a slump has hit the team. I believe teams got a scouting report on us that have worked. I don't want to start pointing out some of the realities with the talent on the roster. I'm not knocking TJ either. Gonna take a minute to get the recruiting and roster stabilized from what he inherited. Any success like NCAA invites should be seen as a huge accomplishment at this point of his taking over the team. The programs going in the right direction in the regards to future talent so I don't think he deserves a bit of bashing. Sucks right now, but I'm pretty optimistic where we're heading.

Reactions: Pizzapitter

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
It all started when Grill hurt his back against Texas. Then 4 days later he was in and out of the lineup and ineffective at Oklahoma State.

Since then he's been in and out of the lineup and can never get any consistency going. Take him out and teams can focus more on stopping Gabe and Holmes, no coincidence those two started going downhill when Grill got hurt.

They are 3-8 since then, the only game I thought we really played well after that was the K-State game in Ames. The Kansas game they had their worst shooting performance I've seen in years then we beat a depleted TCU team when Jaz went off.

• Agree
Reactions: Lyon309Cy

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

But what is weird about this team since the Texas Tech game is that when things aren't going well, they just lose their minds. In the OSU games and yesterday, they just start tossing up shots like the poor guy that is shooting for the lawn tractor. It's like they've never seen a basketball ever. The last 2 Saturday home games, I knew as soon as we were down that we weren't going to win.

But at the same time, they've had some games where they've played very well in that stretch (TCU, Kansas).

But in the moment, it is like they can't get themselves out of whatever funk they are in. The timeouts don't seem to help.

It would be interesting to know when it exactly started. Because I didn't think it was that way at the beginning of the season (save Iowa). Early on, I thought we were capable of pulling out of a funk. But now? If we are down more than 6 in one of those games, we are screwed. My best guess would be this all really started in the West Virginia game. And it is part of the reason why I feel like a well placed technical by the coach, might have helped things a bit.
against KU, we had 5 days rest, team came out with fresh legs and played great. TCU was without Miles and they missed a ton of FTs, if they hit, they game is in doubt. This team seemed to lose their mojo a little after Texas Tech. Grill was supposedly hurt, he didn't play against Mizzou, but played 37 minutes against Tech and had 24 points. He hasn't been the same since. I'm hoping we can win one in KC, but really, I'm okay with us losing after that. It will be interesting to see if a rested team can come out and play in the NCAAs like they did earlier in the season and they did against KU.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The WV game is big now. We need probably one more win to lock down the 5 or 6 seed for the big XII. We lose out and there is a good possibility of us being the 7 seed and having to play the first day. Don’t want us losing to the 10 seed on the first day. Also, having been predicted to finished 8th, that means we pretty much met expectations and would see our expectations for next year to be that 5-6th place in the conference.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
The Big 12 is a f***ing meat grinder!!

If they're not physically exhausted, I'm sure they're mentally exhausted. I think the fast start to the Big 12, and big wins early kept them engaged, but since some injuries and cold shooting has made it more realistic that they're closer to middle of the pack, the spark is gone.
Not saying this is ok, and I think it's something TJ and the staff have to work on in the future.

However, I do think it's very possible to see them get the spark back for the Ncaa tournament, when they're able to play someone outside of the Big 12.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Are you saying a technical at WV rights the ship? That gonna give the players more abilities and energy too?

• Haha
Reactions: NoCreativity

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
It would have done essentially nothing.
You don't have any evidence of that. I've seen games where it inspires the team because they know their coach has their back. All of a sudden a couple calls go their way that they wouldn't have gotten before.

I've also seen games where it blows the game wide open for the other team, you don't know either way.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You don't have any evidence of that. I've seen games where it inspires the team because they know their coach has their back. All of a sudden a couple calls go their way that they wouldn't have gotten before.

I've also seen games where it blows the game wide open for the other team, you don't know either way.

Yep, I was wrong. It would have given WV a chance for free points.

• Dumb
Reactions: NoCreativity