Iowa State Student Health Center Receives Scathing Report

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I used the student health center throughout my college career in 2006 through 2010 and never had any bad experiences. I have diabetes so I would see them every 3 months for a checkup, essentially get my labs drawn and go over them with a doctor. The doctor I had kept me on the same medication as my endocrinologist from back home. All I needed him to do was write prescriptions, which he did. He also made sure to give me a little more than I would normally need just in case.

There was one time I had to see them quickly. I woke up from a nap and did something to one side of my muscle in my neck. Essentially strained my neck muscle to the point where if I were to 'relax,' I would be looking completely to my left side. If I were to look straight, I would get a sharp pain in my neck. I went in that day, they gave me a shot of some muscle relaxer and gave me some pills to relax my muscles as well.

Maybe I am an exception, but I never had a bad experience there, and I used it regularly.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
This happened to me too! What disappoints me is I see this quack on the sidelines with the football and basketball team.
And now the truth comes out about all the injuries...can't even get a proper doctor on the sidelines!

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I went once and while my experience wasn't terrible, it also wasn't good and seemed to be a terrible wait to get in.

Went to McFarland after that as I was lucky enough to be on my parent's plan in school.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Instead of the university trying to run it themselves, could they contract it out to someone else? Like Mary Greeley or a Des Moines hospital network?

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Instead of the university trying to run it themselves, could they contract it out to someone else? Like Mary Greeley or a Des Moines hospital network?

I would assume it's a lot more expensive, both for the school and the students

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I never had a problem back in ancient times. They diagnosed my mono and treated my burns when my roommate dropped a hot oil popcorn popper griddle on my hand.:rolleyes:

Son went there this winter, was seen promptly, diagnosed and treated for strep. On the other hand, nephew went there a week later and the wait to see anyone was so long he went to McFarland for the old "must be a virus we can't do anything for" treatment.

Rather

Jul 21, 2014
All I know is that they can't cure herpes worth a ****.

I actually bet they were above average at treating STDs...because that was always their first assumption of whatever I had.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I'm sure the all the comments are warranted but If I had to deal with college kids everyday as a job I'd probably make a few "misdiagnoses" too.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Throw me in the crowd that went there a few times during freshman/sophomore year and never had a problem. Was diagnosed with strep both times and got the needed medication and was on my way.

fenton06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2011
Ankeny, IA
Student death is pretty d@mn accurate.

Went in with a ruptured ear drum from an ear infection, nothing I wasn't used to but after draining there was pus and some other stuff that was different. Went to student death and they said it's normal, don't worry about it. This was a few days / week after it ruptured and I knew they were wrong. Went to my NURSE PRACTICIONER in my home town and said it was definitely infected and prescribed Amoxicilian(sp?).

Mary Greeley isn't much better... Misdiagnosed my broken collar bone as a sprain. Brilliance in Ames!

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Went there once. It seemed pretty decent to me. They diagnosed Pneumonia, got me set up and I was on my way.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Two years ago I went in there with strep and they gave me a bottle of water and some salt. Haven't ever even thought about going back since.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I only went twice. Both the same week/reason.

I went with severe stomach pain. They ignored me even though my white count was crazy high. Went back 2 days later, I was much sicker and they set me up with an iv with lots of fluids. Would have sent me back to dorms that nigh but thankfully my mom is a nurse and knew I was not a complainer and the fact that I had been sick for a week was not good. I went to the er and spent 5 days in the hospital.

Student death is right. I was very sick and stupid enough to believe they knew what they were doing.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
Was at ISU 5 years. Zero visits to Student Death. Just sucked it up rather than go there. Never heard anything good about it. However from talking with friends I don't think any college student has a good opinion of their student health center.

Havs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Thank God for McFarland Clinic. I was always surprised they never contracted the center out to them.

Help Support Us

Become a patron