IOWA STATE TO BIG TEN?!? Dave Wannstedt thinks so.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Say this is true, ISU gets BIG invite, it's still 1-3 years away correct? Along with or atleast 5 other R8 teams having a home or disbanding, in order to avoid the Big 12 buyout for us (that we would have to pay).

I still think all the talk about waiting 1-2 years applies. I guess I could see the R8 disbanding sooner if at least 6 got good homes in a power conference. That would have to be orchestrated by espn I would think for OU and Tx to avoid some of their buyout?

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
This doesn't get talked about enough. The PAC NEEDS the central time zone, it's the only way they can even begin to close the gap. The whole "doesn't add value" blanket assumption is so freaking lazy.

That is what kills the PAC. No Central Time Zone or earlier to ramp up inventory of watchable games.

Reactions: Rex O Herlihan

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
In my opinion, if college football keeps going away from regional rivalries, the money will be less for everyone in the long run. Keeping conferences regional keeps more fans interested in the sport which keeps the money coming long term. Does Iowa or Nebraska playing Rutgers or Maryland actually interest anyone?

Would fans rather watch us play Baylor, or Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin?

Give me more regional games, no matter what conference it is.
It's a rare case where doing what is fun, traditional, and in the best interest of the fan actually makes the most sense financially.

Games like Oregon-Auburn are a lot of fun. But in large part games like that are fun out of novelty. Maximizing regional rivalries with the occasional regional cross-over game would absolutely maximize CFB value and viewership in my opinion.

It's not talked about a lot, but the in-stadium atmosphere can add a lot to the TV viewer experience. It doesn't happen overnight, but if a team gets a rep for having a great gameday atmosphere, it draws interest. Even when Baylor was a top 5 team, playing with a crap atmosphere really made the game feel a lot smaller than it was. Same with Northwestern when they aren't playing a team within close enough driving distance to fill the stadium. When it's up to Northwestern fans to largely drive attendance, even a top 15 matchup feels like a MAC game.

This is where regional rivalries really help.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Ok. Considering this has been a poker game from the get-go, let's consider 'false' propaganda. Could this type of leak have an ulterior motive? It could be to simply 'delay' things. It could be to orchestrate a mutiny within the Big8. It could be to negotiate TV contracts. Heck, I could go on and on with 'it could be's, but one thing is for sure: I can postulate more lies than truths.
I don’t know but if this is true, I will be so rock solid that all the postulating in the world won’t make a difference.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The Texas school likely would be AAC bound. In a 12 team playoff they'd likely be a 1 bid league 90% of the time. Guess that would be better for them than being a one bid league with all 8 moving in.

Regarding the alliance scheduling. The leagues don't have to be equal in numbers. A couple schools from the B1G and ACC would just end up playing 2 games v. The other instead of a Pac school.

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Could be Dave talking out of turn (or out his ass), or it could be another thing thrown out there to shape the conversation.

He's really the first person connecte3d to Fox that has said a word about realignment and I find that pretty telling. The rest have been blow hard national media guys looking for clicks.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This doesn't get talked about enough. The PAC NEEDS the central time zone, it's the only way they can even begin to close the gap. The whole "doesn't add value" blanket assumption is so freaking lazy.
Yes, if I was the PAC I would trying like hell to get OSU and ISU. If two teams that would be the 3rd and 4th most watched teams in your league don't add value, then your league is as good as dead.

Reactions: everyyard

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Yes, if I was the PAC I would trying like hell to get OSU and ISU. If two teams that would be the 3rd and 4th most watched teams in your league don't add value, then your league is as good as dead.

At the very least this kind of chatter makes a conference like the Pac 12 think.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
And, of course, our play should be to leverage this competition when negotiating with the B1G. Don't really like the idea of 'buy in'.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
He's really the first person connecte3d to Fox that has said a word about realignment and I find that pretty telling. The rest have been blow hard national media guys looking for clicks.

Definitely a guy who could launch that sucker into the conversation to get it out there, while giving you plausible deniability because he's a bit of a wild card anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Wannstedt gets a statue if he's correct.

Not at ISU and maybe not of himself.

But he gets a statue.
He may move ahead of the Bear in terms of national media guys that don’t need to pay for their beer in Ames.

Reactions: IceCyIce

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

I've had the feeling for awhile now that Fox is driving the bus on who gets added to what conference. They will make the deal worth it to the B1G and Pac during the next round of negotiations.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: aauummm and awd4cy

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
ISU in the Big 10 would be awesome for our traveling fan base. From Ames:

Iowa: 2 hours
Minnesota: 3+ hours
Illinois: 5.5 hours
Nebraska: 3+ hours
Wisconsin: 4.25 hours
Northwestern: 5.5 hours

Depending on where you live in the state give/take some time would be a lot of drivable road trip options compared to how we are setup in the Big 12 right now. Just so much potential for this to mutually benefit us as well as the rest of the Big 12 schools as adds more regional rivalries. I've been wanting to play some of these schools non-conference for years, especially in basketball as they make a lot of sense logistically as well as fan excitement to play than some no-name directional school where most years the game is over by halftime.

Best case is for ISU to land in the Big 10 and we'd be stupid not to take an invite if one came this year with the uncertainty of the Big 12 right now. Financially would also be a big boost too.