Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2024

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Nebraska just seems like a bad idea. A guy whose primary skill is his defense going to a team that refuses to play defense.
Nebraska is also mid and they don't seem poised to be very good next season with the loss of their best player. Hopefully Kyle is smart enough that he picks ISU as we are just flat out better and cooler.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Everybody still wants the "small ball". Take a look at how we performed with that at times this year. No post defense, no rim protection, and no offensive rebounds. I will pass on small ball until we have a great 3 pt shooting team. With defense first, we need a true post playing defense and running our offense through.
If anything, this year's tournament has proved that "tall ball" is still pretty effective sometimes.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I didn’t watch UNI this year. What’s Heise game like and how good is he?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Heise would take Pav's role but is 6'5" and further along in development. I really think that the staff thought Pav would have been more effective and play 15 minutes to give Lipsey and Gilbert more rest. There is ~15-17 minutes available for a 4th guard. There is a big role available the year after when Gilbert and CuJo leave. I am sure the staff is selling him on contributing this year and a big role in year 2. Also give Nojus and Pierce time to earn their minutes when they are ready.

I don’t think the staff had Pav as a 15 minute a game player. I think they had a luxury of being able to bring him in and if he lights up then that’s a win and if he doesn’t then he leaves again.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I didn’t watch UNI this year. What’s Heise game like and how good is he?
Physical wing that defends and rebounds at a high level and plays a little longer than he looks. Good shooter when he gets his feet set. Very good at using his upper body strength to get to his mid range game.

Can be an inconsistent ballhandler at times and can be passive offensively when guarded by smaller, quicker defenders.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That's one thing I'm still super unclear about. With the massive strides that CuJo made during the season he will be getting even more minutes next season. We basically have four guys capable of starting playing the 1-3 (Lipsey, Gilbert, CuJo, Momcilovic). I just don't see any room for adding a big name guard. Am I missing something to the people that know more than me?
I get the feeling we see Momcilovic play the 4 next season.

On the offensive end, depending on sets, there isn't much difference between a 3/4.

Playing Momcilovic at the 4 would be a bigger impact for him on defense. He's going to guard more length and TJ's probably going to want a little more rebounding.

But I get what your saying. If we are targeting 2 portal perimeter players- does that mean TJ is expecting another transfer out? Or is he projecting limited minutes for Pierce & Indrusaitis.

Or are we seeing a different mindset in the NIL & portal era. Guys are willing to test their abilities as a G6 player. They understand only the best play, but are financially protected if their abilities don't translate. I am guessing Paveletzke, Gilbert and Curtis Jones all made the same NIL money last season, whether they played 30 minutes or 5 minutes.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Nebraska just seems like a bad idea. A guy whose primary skill is his defense going to a team that refuses to play defense.
not really anymore, this year Fred actually focused on D and Nebraska was top 50 in adjusted defense. That is one of the reasons they cited as becoming a tourney team, their improved focus on defense.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

On the offensive end, depending on sets, there isn't much difference between a 3/4.

Playing Momcilovic at the 4 would be a bigger impact for him on defense. He's going to guard more length and TJ's probably going to want a little more rebounding.

But I get what your saying. If we are targeting 2 portal perimeter players- does that mean TJ is expecting another transfer out? Or is he projecting limited minutes for Pierce & Indrusaitis.

Or are we seeing a different mindset in the NIL & portal era. Guys are willing to test their abilities as a G6 player. They understand only the best play, but are financially protected if their abilities don't translate. I am guessing Paveletzke, Gilbert and Curtis Jones all made the same NIL money last season, whether they played 30 minutes or 5 minutes.

I’m interested to see if the JT Rock plan becomes a routine thing at ISU.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I don’t think the staff had Pav as a 15 minute a game player. I think they had a luxury of being able to bring him in and if he lights up then that’s a win and if he doesn’t then he leaves again.
Could be, or maybe Pav never lit it up to deserve more minutes than he got.

• Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023

Staff consistently calls Milan a guard fwiw

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I'm of course not saying I think we're lying to transfers about what they're going to get, it's just the numbers of having that many guards who all need/want PT. If we run a traditional two-guard lineup, that's 80 minutes split between five players, 16 mins/game each. If two of them are playing 30 mins/game that's <7 min/game for the rest. If we run a three-guard lineup, that's 24 mins/game average and 15 mins/game for the other two if three guys average 30. I think a four-guard lineup for large amounts of time is fantasy with our defense.

If I have to beat out at least one of Lipsey, Gilbert, and Jones otherwise I might be playing ~ 10 mins/game, that doesn't seem real attractive to someone looking for PT.

I'll be happy to be wrong, would be great to have five great guards.
It’s not 10 min/gm unless he beats out Lipsey, Gilbert, or Jones…just as Jones wasn’t getting 10 minutes when he couldn’t beat out Lipsey or Gilbert

120 minutes for guards, up to 160 if we play some of those at the 4. Milian and Hadley could

Let’s say it’s 140 minutes across 5 players. That’s 28 minute on average.

I do agree Heise AND Hadley is tough without returning players okay losing time, full time small bal, and someone like Nojus being odd man out

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron