Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2024

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
So the 4 best players from the best team we've had since 2000 can't be guaranteed minutes next year? That's quite the world we live in now.
I never knew returning players were guaranteed minutes. Even going back to great Cyclones like Ejim, Niang or Morris. The best players play the most minutes.

Sure guys like Lipsey, Momcilovic, Gilbert and Curtis Jones will probably play the most minutes next year, but I doubt they are concerned if they play 28 mpg vs 31 mpg. The obvious caveat is guys getting those minutes have to earn them.

We saw that this past season with Curtis Jones. The staff's confidence in his play definitely ate into King, Paveletzke and Watson's minutes. And probably reduced Gilbert and Lipsey minutes in Big12 play.

I feel reduced minutes are more readily accepted by college players because they see load management of elite NBA players.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
28-31 minutes isn't very strenuous. We actually had some of lowest minutes totals from our starters in the Big 12 this year and still had the #1 defense.

Gilbert actually played the most % of available minutes this year and he was ranked 22nd in the Big 12 in that category.
Minutes are not the total story. Our defense requires more energy expended per minute than many. Every team plays hard - but our scheme requires extra effort. 20 minutes at ISU equals 30 minutes at eiu.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Call Milan whatever you want but rebounding and defense are not in his DNA.
We need a physical traditional 4.
That could be part of the staff's plan for Milan this off season. Improve his strength and challenge him to be a better rebounder.

Milan was a much better defender than I expected. I don't feel he was a liability this past season. Obviously, he faced his challenges when matched up against smaller, quicker wings.

Reactions: CYDJ

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I'll also say, it feels like TJ and Curtis Jones maybe decided that helps the team a bunch of he continues to come off the bench. Which helps the flexibility of lineups a bunch.

Curtis Jones is the one guy that should always have a green light, in my opinion. Milan 95% of the time. Without the really slow start, Jones would have been our leading scorer for the season and is one of our few consistent 3 point shooters.

Plus, his defense is amazing - I want CuJo on the floor as much as possible next year. Whether he starts or not.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
People were concerned about Milan's defense early in the season but you could tell he mentally got it. He might not physically got to the right spot all the time but he knew we're he needed to be.

I feel that's the biggest need to play this defense is too mentally understand. If you have that with intense effort then you can be on the floor.

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
It's not "recruiting over." It's getting better.
It's getting deeper.
What if Gilbert, Lipsey, and Milan go from 31 to 27? What if one game Hadley plays 32, and the next 24. Or Milan plays 30, then 22?

Not everything has to be cookie cutter. Top 3-4 don't have to 32+ minutes, and returning players aren't guaranteed more minutes than newcomers.
we all saw how Keshon and Tamin to some extents were worn down a bit towards the end of the big 12 season. they definitely got a second wind before the tourneys started. if they could all play a few less minutes during the season they all should be stronger at the end.

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
With the amount of breaks in action, having a guard play 30 mpg is not a big ask. Sure seemed like Pav was ready and able to play 15-17 min but there was not 15-17 min available.
but think if we had someone better than Pav to take those minutes? we all loved Pav and his effort, but we saw he was just too undersized for the big 12

Reactions: VeloClone

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Where? Tamin, Keshon, Curt, and Milan were only averaging 30 mpg. You're not taking any minutes away from them unless the next man up is better
that was my point, had he been better (or his replacement is better) there will be minutes for someone in that position on the roster

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
we all saw how Keshon and Tamin to some extents were worn down a bit towards the end of the big 12 season. they definitely got a second wind before the tourneys started. if they could all play a few less minutes during the season they all should be stronger at the end.
Some of that was injury related, but that may actually prove your point.

Reactions: Texbudman

Ctrans

Feb 3, 2017
Where exactly are all these minutes to come from. We already have 4 guys coming back that will command 30+ minutes. Then we add Jackson and Watson, along with 3 freshman coming in.

The 3 guys you mentioned are all playing upwards of 30-35 minutes at their old teams. They are going to come here and play what kind of minutes now?

Hadley is already playing heavy minutes at a Power 6 program and his Torvick rating is better than any of our returning guys this year. How is he going to handle the Trey King role playing 18-20 mpg?
You must have trust in TJ. I certainly do.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron