Iowa State Transfer/Recruiting Class 2024

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I don't see why Watson can't play the 4 quite a bit. He's long enough and athletic enough to play taller than he is. He has a knack for rebounding. His body transformed a lot from year one to year 2. There's no reason to think that won't continue. His 3-point shot looks pretty good (small sample size problems of course) but he does need to develop some sort of inside game.
Watson was also already playing the 4 this season in basically all of his minutes (save for a few lineups that they were just trying out in non-conference play).

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
Especially later in the season. And it didn't look like he was overwhelmed by it.
He's definitely not lost or overwhelmed out there. But as poor offensively TJ's teams have been the last few years, I worry Watson receiving significant minutes will lead to more offensive droughts we saw in the first two seasons with TJ. Watson just isn't a great offensive player.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
He's definitely not lost or overwhelmed out there. But as poor offensively TJ's teams have been the last few years, I worry Watson receiving significant minutes will lead to more offensive droughts we saw in the first two seasons with TJ. Watson just isn't a great offensive player.
Yet. His FT% isn’t great, but, as with everything else, the sample size is too small to draw many conclusions. Particularly with Jackson adding some additional spacing, Watson is a very solid 5th option/garbage man RIGHT NOW. If he can be even a marginal risk from 3, he becomes a weapon. And he did shoot 100% from 3 this year per ESPN, so…

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Yet. His FT% isn’t great, but, as with everything else, the sample size is too small to draw many conclusions. Particularly with Jackson adding some additional spacing, Watson is a very solid 5th option/garbage man RIGHT NOW. If he can be even a marginal risk from 3, he becomes a weapon. And he did shoot 100% from 3 this year per ESPN, so…
I think you get an instant upgrade in terms of energy, athleticism, length and versatility on the defensive end (which is quite the achievement with this group, but I think he makes our elite defense even better when he's in). He can switch anything. I like what he brings on the glass, too.

I'd be all for letting him shoot a lot more from deep, if for no other reason than spacing and seeing what we have with a bigger sample size.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
So you're saying TJ will have him taking 30 or more 3 pointers? I like it

Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I get what your saying based on the expectation of adding Hadley and Kyle. But we are adding portal guys from a position of strength based on returnees.

A starting lineup of: Lipsey, Gilbert, Jones, Momcilovic and Jackson is very solid.

Add a bench of Heise, Watson, Chatfield, Rock, Pierce and Indrusaitis.

We could use a physical 4- but feel like we could have a talented lineup above.
Watson, Chatfield, Rock, and Indrusaitis are cool last names.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
IMO if you can grab two high profile transfers every offseason capable of immediately getting important and consistent minutes in a 8-9 man rotation in the Big 12 your offseason was a success. Jackson and Heise are those guys. Like others have said any other big commitments I will consider a nice surprise. Likely to need Indrusaitis and Rock to be ready to roll if no other major additions.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Sorry, but the perfectionist in me would point out that without seeing the list, we can't assume that the 51 teams above us were all P5. It appears that is being assumed.
The rankings I found had us 49th. There were 23 non-P6 schools above us which would mean there were 25 P6 schools above us which would put us well above average.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Jesus, Dishon Is a big time commit. I have it on good authority that a certain former coach couldn’t believe we got him

And that’s the way it should be because his size, skill set and position is our #1 area of need going in to next year.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
The 130th - 150th ranked transfer is a big time commit?
Dishon Jackson chose the Cyclones over other offers from Xavier, Indiana, Miami and USC.
Which I consider more indicative of future success than rankings (which are all over the place depending which one you choose)
Plus ISU transfer class last year wasn't highly ranked but was as impactful as any in the country. Pav was the highest ranked and Cujo the lowest.