Iowa universities betting scandal

cyclonestunners

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 14, 2011
I think people thinking this is a "trash rule" haven't followed previous point fixing scandals. They usually don't involve the athlete betting on the games themselves... but they do involve someone paying another person to fix games. I think the worry is that someone gets deep in debt gambling, and then gets bought off.

In the same vein, athletes are closer to having insider information that can help with the betting on sports.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Supposedly there is a state law in Iowa that prohibits members of a sports team from betting on sports. it was part of the law that allowed sports betting in Iowa.
That’s interesting I didn’t know that. So a D3 or D2 baseball or football coach wouldn’t be able to bet? What about high school coaches?

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I think people thinking this is a "trash rule" haven't followed previous point fixing scandals. They usually don't involve the athlete betting on the games themselves... but they do involve someone paying another person to fix games. I think the worry is that someone gets deep in debt gambling, and then gets bought off.

In the same vein, athletes are closer to having insider information that can help with the betting on sports.
That would be a risk irregardless if they were betting or not. College students by nature are always in debt (credit card, tuition, etc.)

Online legalized gambling actually would help prevent that, because you have to spot the money up front to place a bet

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
There is a huge difference in that THC has no bearing on the game (unless high while playing) betting opens the door to that possibility. The NCAA is not going to have a nuanced ruling on this and again the rule is very clearly spelled out.
Disagree. You might like having a strict no tolerance policy, but that's not practical in this day and age where online wagering is legal and everywhere you turn.

These rules were made when gambling was illegal everywhere but Nevada, and you had to gamble through shady bookies in the backrooms who would break your kneecaps or have you throw a game if you got in too deep.

The NCAA has no choice but to come up with a nuanced policy which distinguishes between betting on college games vs pro games vs PGA vs horse racing vs etc.

And by the way, I have no doubt there are Michigan State athletes who are placing bets.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That would be a risk irregardless if they were betting or not. College students by nature are always in debt (credit card, tuition, etc.)

Online legalized gambling actually would help prevent that, because you have to spot the money up front to place a bet
Not if you just tell the person placing bets to put $100 on the Celtics and then they keep a ledger..

• Agree
Reactions: Kinch

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Disagree. You might like having a strict no tolerance policy, but that's not practical in this day and age where online wagering is legal and everywhere you turn.

These rules were made when gambling was illegal everywhere but Nevada, and you had to gamble through shady bookies in the backrooms who would break your kneecaps or have you throw a game if you got in too deep.

The NCAA has no choice but to come up with a nuanced policy which distinguishes between betting on college games vs pro games vs PGA vs horse racing vs etc.

And by the way, I have no doubt there are Michigan State athletes who are placing bets.
It’s happening everywhere. Lol

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Not if you just tell the person placing bets to put $100 on the Celtics and then they keep a ledger..
That’s different from what we’re talking about here though. That’s not only against NCAA rules, but also illegal. I was referring to student-athletes using an online gambling service like FanDuel, DraftKings, etc.

Reactions: Statefan10

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021

It is legal, just not permissible if you’re a student athlete as the rule clearly states. Also I have no doubt that athletes at Michigan and Michigan State are doing this. Sparty even has a sports betting parter. If those athletes get caught when they were specifically told not to then they also deserve the punishment they get.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That’s different from what we’re talking about here though. That’s not only against NCAA rules, but also illegal. I was referring to student-athletes using an online gambling service like FanDuel, DraftKings, etc.
My apologies!

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
At the end of the day, these kids sat though a seminar where attendance was mandatory and recorded telling them they couldn't bet. As if that wasn't enough, they signed a document that would abide by the SA code of conduct which has a whole section about how you can not bet on any NCAA sanctioned sport.

Regardless of whether the rule makes sense in 2023, its the rule and a rule they were very familiar with. They deserve any and all punishment that comes their way.

EDIT: And yes, I guarantee it's happening at UNI too and I fully expect that UNI/Drake athletes are the next ones under the gun on this.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron